Pre-Game Talk: Blues Moves During Draft Weekend

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What move or moves do you predict the Blues make over draft weekend? Pick all that apply.

• Nothing

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Trade up in 1st Round

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Trade back in 1st Round

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Trade later round picks

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • Big trade...big name incoming

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Big trade...big name outgoing

Votes: 29 49.2%
  • Smaller name player trade

Votes: 13 22.0%

• Total voters

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Trade Krug with 25% retained to Detroit for future considerations.

Trade Buch, Saad and Leddy to Buffalo for Power. This gives Buffalo first liner in Buch, good 3rd liner with playoff experience in Saad, and veteran defence in Leddy. Power is the the future 1D needed. Buffalo has to make the playoffs, this gives them some desperately needed winning veteran presence.

Why would either of the other teams do this. Detroit just paid to dump Walman, a better D who is paid less for shorter term. Why do they want to pay Krug more? Why would Buffalo trade a former 1OA who is developing on pace for one year of Buch and a couplle other older players? Unless Buch is re-signing in Buffalo, and I doubt that, its terrible for them.

Reactions: LetsGoBooze

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Why would either of the other teams do this. Detroit just paid to dump Walman, a better D who is paid less for shorter term. Why do they want to pay Krug more?

I doubt that trading Walman was done to clear up space for Krug, but they are extremely different players. Other than both being LD, they fill different roles. Walman played shut down minutes, big PK minutes and limited PP minutes. Krug's strengths are offensive deployment and PP minutes.

Ghost was their PP QB last year, but he is a 31 year old UFA who is likely looking for his last big pay day coming off a 56 point season. I wouldn't be shocked if Detroit would rather have Krug at $4.9M x 3 (that's about 25% retention) to whatever Ghost is looking for.

Getting Krug wouldn't be about comparing his cap to Walman's, it would be about comparing his cap to their other offensive PP QB options. Detroit also has some short term contracts that they might want to shed. Husso hasn't worked out there and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they want to swap him out for another goalie. Lyon was good for them, so if they want to change up the tandem at all, Husso would be the odd man out. Fabbri probably isn't worth $4M. Both deals just have 1 year left and part of a Krug trade could be that we take one of those deals on or agree to retain 50% as a 3rd party in a separate trade.

I think that the patience for the Yzerplan is finished. It's been 8 straight years without playoffs. They were in the hunt last year and a bunch of fans were annoyed that they didn't buy anything to help push that team through the stretch run. Yes, they have $32M in cap space, but they have a ton of needs. That space is going to start disappearing quickly. Seider and Raymond both need large raises and I'd argue that this is the time to get an 8 year deal done with both. Kane, Perron, Spring, and Ghost all need to be extended/replaced. The goaltending needs to improve. The blueline needs to improve.

I think Detroit has a real need to shed more money for 2024/25, but they are in a good cap position for 2025/26 and 2026/27. I think there is a real argument that Krug at $5M x 3 makes sense for them if it means not giving a larger contract to Ghost AND getting out from the $4M+ owed to Fabbri or Husso this year. They don't have anyone due a raise next summer. Krug would naturally come off the books before any of Sandin-Pellikka, Kasper, or Danielson come off their ELCs. If they can make the cap work for 2024/25 while improving the roster, they are in great shape to continue making it work for the last 2 years of Krug's deal as cheap young talent becomes ready to start taking over bigger roles.

I definitely see a path for Krug to make sense for Detroit. Lots of paths they could take where he wouldn't make sense for them, but it isn't completely crazy.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
The team I keep eyeing is Buffalo. The 11th pick sounds like it's in play. Buffalo's front office has to finally be feeling the pressure after a huge step back last year. Supposedly they are interested in moving the pick for immediate help, not to mention they are buying out Skinner. I wonder if they would do a swap of Buch with an already agreed upon extension for 11th.

This season was always going to be a wash while we waited for the kids to grow, but if all we come out of this season with is the 16th overall pick, I'll be disappointed.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
The team I keep eyeing is Buffalo. The 11th pick sounds like it's in play. Buffalo's front office has to finally be feeling the pressure after a huge step back last year. Supposedly they are interested in moving the pick for immediate help, not to mention they are buying out Skinner. I wonder if they would do a swap of Buch with an already agreed upon extension for 11th.

This season was always going to be a wash while we waited for the kids to grow, but if all we come out of this season with is the 16th overall pick, I'll be disappointed.
Traded to SJ. Buffalo now owns #14.

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021

Why would Buch sign an extension with Buffalo?

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

giphy.webp

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I feel like things are really quiet around the Blues right now. We are a day away from the draft and maybe its just what I am seeing but just about every team has rumors swirling but the Blues. I know Army likes to keep things under wraps but you would have thought something would be out there. It has made the build up to the draft kind of boring TBH.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I feel like things are really quiet around the Blues right now. We are a day away from the draft and maybe its just what I am seeing but just about every team has rumors swirling but the Blues. I know Army likes to keep things under wraps but you would have thought something would be out there. It has made the build up to the draft kind of boring TBH.
There have been rumors about Buch and Saad being shopped, not sure if they are accurate at all though. Army has always been pretty tight lipped regarding moves around the draft though and things usually just happen out of nowhere. That said, I don't really think we will be very active.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
We're a small market team and our on-ice performance this year left us with basically no league-wide relevance. We have a GM who is known for being tight-lipped and our most prolific beat writer has fully burned any bridge to the organization.

All the national insiders are chasing the big market teams and big names and the condensed time between game 7 and the draft limits how many stories they can really chase.

We very well could just quietly make our picks this weekend without doing anything. But I don't read much of anything into the silence.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
We're a small market team and our on-ice performance this year left us with basically no league-wide relevance. We have a GM who is known for being tight-lipped and our most prolific beat writer has fully burned any bridge to the organization.

All the national insiders are chasing the big market teams and big names and the condensed time between game 7 and the draft limits how many stories they can really chase.

We very well could just quietly make our picks this weekend without doing anything. But I don't read much of anything into the silence.
I keep seeing people bring this up regarding JR, is there something I missed? What was it that caused this, I have some ideas but not sure

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I keep seeing people bring this up regarding JR, is there something I missed? What was it that caused this, I have some ideas but not sure

The belief is that JR worked as the mouthpiece for Tarasenko's agent during the 2 year will they/wont they trade him rumors. JR was one of the loudest but always seemed to come from the perspective of Vladdys side of the dispute regarding his shoulder, captaincy ect.

Reactions: SirPaste

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Strickland is hinting that we want to keep Buch around.

Don't need to be an insider to know that. Armstrong has said as much. They are working on a 2-fold approach to sell him on the vision over the next w years and then Steen's year beyond.

The belief is that JR worked as the mouthpiece for Tarasenko's agent during the 2 year will they/wont they trade him rumors. JR was one of the loudest but always seemed to come from the perspective of Vladdys side of the dispute regarding his shoulder, captaincy ect.

If he had sources, he would not have had to be a mouth piece for a player and could have gotten the other side.. I don't think it is burnt bridges. I think it is as simple as Army is tight lipped and runs a tight ship. JR is not skilled enough to develop the relationships needed to get info from such an organization.

A good reporter would have sources inside the organization he could reach out to on background to vet what Tarasneko's camp told him. He didn't, so he had no choice to run with it. He was essentially already frozen out before the Tarasenko issues.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I remember logging in late one night to read that EJ had been traded to Colorado for Shattenkirk, Stewart, with some picks moving. There had been zero whiff that something was imminent. I know Armstrong manages to keep a pretty tight lid on negotiations.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Don't need to be an insider to know that. Armstrong has said as much. They are working on a 2-fold approach to sell him on the vision over the next w years and then Steen's year beyond.

If he had sources, he would not have had to be a mouth piece for a player and could have gotten the other side.. I don't think it is burnt bridges. I think it is as simple as Army is tight lipped and runs a tight ship. JR is not skilled enough to develop the relationships needed to get info from such an organization.

A good reporter would have sources inside the organization he could reach out to on background to vet what Tarasneko's camp told him. He didn't, so he had no choice to run with it. He was essentially already frozen out before the Tarasenko issues.
Emily Kaplan provided more tangible details about that negotiation in her brief traveling interview as a behind-the-glass reporter for an ESPN game in St Louis that year than JR did the entire duration. It left me really longing for a skilled reporter in JR's role. She asked him something to which he said, "no comment" which spoke volumes, and she reported exactly that.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
That summer, he wrote an entire article premised on the notion that the Blues "shit on [Tarasenko] to their own detriment" by not trading him within 3 weeks of his trade request going public. That is not my summary of the article's stance. That is the direct quote that JR used from an unnamed source "close to the situation." It was the third sentence of the article.

JR broke the news that Tarasenko wanted a trade during a Stanley Cup Final game and then spent the summer directly attacking Armstrong for not just taking whatever he could get for Tarasenko.

He actively advocated for Tarasenko and against the team's interest. I think it is painfully obvious that he was used as a mouthpiece for the agent, but even if he wasn't there is nothing about his writing that summer that wasn't bridge burning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad