Half-Assed GDT: Blues @ Ducks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Neighbours has stalled, for sure. Keeping him up doesn't make sense any longer.

If Kostin can cut down on the mistakes and penalties and continue to release that shot of his, then I may be more optimistic of his future in the NHL.
I'm not sure what standard people are expecting to hold Kostin to, but to my view he's been miles better than our last viewing. The thing I'm most encouraged about is his ability to function with his linemates cycling the puck and generating shot opportunities. Sure he's making mistakes at times, but nothing that is unusual for a player in his first NHL season. This has been the first time I really expected him to become an asset for the team at the NHL level. He looks like he'll be more than just a 4th line cog.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rangers/Ducks fan here, how has Buch been for you guys? Seemed a little off last night. Rangers fans are missing him, especially after the Sammy Blais incident, lol. Oh well.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Rangers/Ducks fan here, how has Buch been for you guys? Seemed a little off last night. Rangers fans are missing him, especially after the Sammy Blais incident, lol. Oh well.

He's been a little off all year. Not terrible, but not terribly impressive either. I like that he plays with a little edge to his game (headbutting aside) but he hasn't clicked offensively very much so far.

What was the Sammy Blais incident? Must have missed that. I've watched a handful of Rangers games this year and Sammy is quite visible, usually in a positive way.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I'm not sure what standard people are expecting to hold Kostin to, but to my view he's been miles better than our last viewing. The thing I'm most encouraged about is his ability to function with his linemates cycling the puck and generating shot opportunities. Sure he's making mistakes at times, but nothing that is unusual for a player in his first NHL season. This has been the first time I really expected him to become an asset for the team at the NHL level. He looks like he'll be more than just a 4th line cog.
What standard do you have for him?

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's been a little off all year. Not terrible, but not terribly impressive either. I like that he plays with a little edge to his game (headbutting aside) but he hasn't clicked offensively very much so far.

What was the Sammy Blais incident? Must have missed that. I've watched a handful of Rangers games this year and Sammy is quite visible, usually in a positive way.

He ran into Chytil who left the game and is likely out tonight and he also went off sides on a brilliant Fox goal that was overturned. Heard he deactivated his Twitter account because of some Fans. I thought he had been pretty good also just had one very very bad game. Lol

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Lindholm on the Blues would make this postseason very exciting.

1st + one of the Neighbors/Kostin/Bolduc group for a Lindholm who Armstrong is satisfied can be extended. All of those three prospects are appealing and tough to give up but there will be a real market for Lindholm if he’s not re-upping with Anaheim. Gonna be a sad day when we find out Lindholm extended …

Reactions: Stealth JD

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
He ran into Chytil who left the game and is likely out tonight and he also went off sides on a brilliant Fox goal that was overturned. Heard he deactivated his Twitter account because of some Fans. I thought he had been pretty good also just had one very very bad game. Lol

Actually, I did watch some of that game but apparently not too closely. Regarding the collision, was it really anyone's fault? The offsides was rough however....incredible goal by Fox that wasn't to be. Crazy how quickly a fan base can turn on a guy. I thought they were praising Blais a lot in the early going.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Actually, I did watch some of that game but apparently not too closely. Regarding the collision, was it really anyone's fault? The offsides was rough however....incredible goal by Fox that wasn't to be. Crazy how quickly a fan base can turn on a guy. I thought they were praising Blais a lot in the early going.

I personally have no issues with Blais, it was an accident and anyone can go off-sides but the Rangers fan base can be very rabid. It’s a NY thing. Lol.

I just miss Buch because he brought a lot to our Top 6, PP, and PK

Reactions: Reality Czech

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
What standard do you have for him?
First year NHL player? So far he's showing he belongs in the league, and has shown a lot of growth. He's physically ready, winning puck battles, finding his linemates. The rest is stuff that he can improve on with experience and coaching. Contrast Kostin with Neighbors, who is showing that his early camp energy is wearing off. The game is starting to look to fast for Neighbors right now.

Reactions: MissouriMook

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
First year NHL player? So far he's showing he belongs in the league, and has shown a lot of growth. He's physically ready, winning puck battles, finding his linemates. The rest is stuff that he can improve on with experience and coaching. Contrast Kostin with Neighbors, who is showing that his early camp energy is wearing off. The game is starting to look to fast for Neighbors right now.
Agree on Neighbours and the eye test on Kostin is that maybe he has enough capability to adjust his game, which was the rub to begin with. He didn't have the smarts, but he showing more than Yakupov.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
@stl76 can you break down this play by Faulk? 1st goal.

Of course I can.

Faulk got caught out at the end of a long shift during the second period when it is particularly hard for RHD to make change, and got badly beat on a poor defensive play. Faulk, along with most of the team, didn't have a great game overall and we clearly missed your favorite player: Torey Krug.

I would ask if you could please break down the other 25+ minutes Faulk played last night but 1) I don't think you can 2) I don't value your opinion as it relates to Justin Faulk.

Surprised it's taken you 10 games to find a bad defensive play by Faulk, you're really slipping Ranksu :P

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Agree on Neighbours and the eye test on Kostin is that maybe he has enough capability to adjust his game, which was the rub to begin with. He didn't have the smarts, but he showing more than Yakupov.

Kostin may not have elite hockey sense, but at least he is willing and able to make an impact on the game however he can. He's basically our de facto "enforcer" these days, or at least the modern day equivalent, because we need a guy to hit everyone and not back down from the rough stuff. I'm not sure how high his ceiling is, but he's proven himself to be a solid bottom 6 guy so far and showing some offensive promise as well.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Kostin may not have elite hockey sense, but at least he is willing and able to make an impact on the game however he can. He's basically our de facto "enforcer" these days, or at least the modern day equivalent, because we need a guy to hit everyone and not back down from the rough stuff. I'm not sure how high his ceiling is, but he's proven himself to be a solid bottom 6 guy so far and showing some offensive promise as well.
I agree with this. I've been a detractor of his, but one of my approaches in life is to adjust my position when I witness compelling information. I LOVE Kostin's shot. It is lethal and gets to the net so freakin' fast. If he keeps this up, I will become a fan cuz blind obstinance is no way to go.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Looks like a Parayko and Barbashev controller disconnect, coupled with indecisive Faulk coverage as a result.

I wouldn't fault Parayko too much. He was trying to get off the ice since he lost his stick. Then they threw him a stick so he had to stop to grab it, not get off the ice. He tried to rush back, but he was too far out of the play to do anything. He only "controller disconnect"ed to stay with his man who was trailing. He was not near close enough to get to anyone else for any meaningful defense. He stayed with his guy hoping the two teammates ahead of him would cover the 2 ducks ahead of him.

Barbashev should have made a move toward the passer which would have allowed Faulk to stay with the goal scorer. Even so, Faulk has cover the pass there, even if Barbashev is not going to pressure the puck carrier. If Barbashev is out of the play for whatever reason, you let the goalie take guy with the puck and play the pass.

Faulk also has some fault for his bad pass to try to clear the zone which created the turnover that left Parayko out of position. I definitely put the fault mostly on Faulk, aside from the bad luck with Parayko's stick. There is other blame to go around but Faulk has two mistakes there, one to start the ducks chance and one to fail to cover the guy who capitalized on it. Either was somewhat understandable individually, but they compounded each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: Celtic Note

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Of course I can.

Faulk got caught out at the end of a long shift during the second period when it is particularly hard for RHD to make change, and got badly beat on a poor defensive play. Faulk, along with most of the team, didn't have a great game overall and we clearly missed your favorite player: Torey Krug.

I would ask if you could please break down the other 25+ minutes Faulk played last night but 1) I don't think you can 2) I don't value your opinion as it relates to Justin Faulk.

Surprised it's taken you 10 games to find a bad defensive play by Faulk, you're really slipping Ranksu :P
We have 70 games left. I will found, mark my word.

This was just example Faulk defensive game. Caught too much puck watching. Not understand surrounds of him. Low hockey IQ.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
We have 70 games left. I will found, mark my word.

This was just example Faulk defensive game. Caught too much puck watching. Not understand surrounds of him. Low hockey IQ.
I know you will find more of Faulk's mistakes Ranksu, because Faulk makes plenty of them and they are all you're looking for. If you watch any player and only look for them to make mistakes you will eventually find one. But if you only look for bad plays then you'll end up missing all the good plays a player makes. Faulk makes plenty of mistakes, he is far from perfect, but he makes a lot of good plays too.

Faulk was tired at the end of a nearly 2 minute shift and made a bad play on that goal. You're entitled to your opinions about Faulk, but this particular play had nothing to do with hockey IQ. When you say that, it's looks to me like you either didn't fully understand the circumstances leading to the goal or just saw what you wanted to see to confirm your prior held beliefs about Faulk.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I know you will find more of Faulk's mistakes Ranksu, because Faulk makes plenty of them and they are all you're looking for. If you watch any player and only look for them to make mistakes you will eventually find one. But if you only look for bad plays then you'll end up missing all the good plays a player makes. Faulk makes plenty of mistakes, he is far from perfect, but he makes a lot of good plays too.

Faulk was tired at the end of a nearly 2 minute shift and made a bad play on that goal. You're entitled to your opinions about Faulk, but this particular play had nothing to do with hockey IQ. When you say that, it's looks to me like you either didn't fully understand the circumstances leading to the goal or just saw what you wanted to see to confirm your prior held beliefs about Faulk.
Looks like @Majorityof1 break down Faulk mistakes above.

Buch was effective when he played with Kyrou. They got chemistry right away. We were forced to break down that duo, 'cus ROR covid. Now Schenn is out. Hopefully when Schenn is back Buch - Kyrou is back too. Buch clearly needs playmaker who can drive the play and make him room for scoring where he is top notch.

In Kyrou - Schenn - Buch. Schenn was odd man out could easily be Sundqvist who takes 2-way responsibility.

Btw when Sunny is back our center depth is insane.

ROR
Schenn
Thomas
Sundqvist
Barbashev
Bozak
Joshua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad