Half-Assed GDT: Blues @ Ducks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
If I can pump a little sunshine about the NHL in general, I'm honestly excited about this season. Seems like teams are adopting the Tampa model of the last decade and emphasizing skating and attacking with forwards paired with timely defense. Even the Ducks were out there playing fun (until they didn't have to, of course).

It's fun to watch. This is such a beautiful sport.

Reactions: dutchblues

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I didn't think that was a trip on Perron at the end. Don't really have a problem with the no-call there.

Its not just this game, but I've seen some lackadaisical hockey around the league currently. This game was right along the same theme. So many passes to nowhere and giving the other team possession (from both teams).

Rosen had a rough 3rd period.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I didn't think that was a trip on Perron at the end. Don't really have a problem with the no-call there.

Its not just this game, but I've seen some lackadaisical hockey around the league currently. This game was right along the same theme. So many passes to nowhere and giving the other team possession (from both teams).

Rosen had a rough 3rd period.
Rosen was bad. But he’s an AHLer so won’t hold it against him. Others though, I expect more from. What is Kyrou excuse? Buch? Scandella? Bozo? Barbie? Tank? Perron? Lot of passengers tonight.

CoMoBlues

Aug 16, 2010
Columbus, OH
Came away impressed with your squad a couple of bounces (like those two posts by Kostin) and this game would have ended with a different result.

Kyrou is going to be a star, but I'm sure y'all already know that.

Always fun to play against the Blues. Good luck the rest of the way :)

Agreed on Kyrou and thanks for posting. Enjoy Shattenkirk, I liked his time here in STL.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Except both lines were good against the Sharks. Maybe let’s not make decisions based on one game. If anything, the 4th line is the one that provided nothing.

Can't expect a 4th line to provide the scoring, especially with their limited minutes. That line's main job is to provide energy and momentum by heavy forechecking. If they score, that's a bonus. I think splitting up Thomas and Kyrou is best. They both bring a lot of speed and skating, which would be helpful to have on both the second and the third lines.

Reactions: jura

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
Can't expect a 4th line to provide the scoring, especially with their limited minutes. That line's main job is to provide energy and momentum by heavy forechecking. If they score, that's a bonus. I think splitting up Thomas and Kyrou is best. They both bring a lot of speed and skating, which would be helpful to have on both the second and the third lines.

Not gonna lie, I love seeing Thomas and Kyrou together and I think the pairing of the two brings out Thomas's creativity at 5v5 in particular. My feeling is that the best version of this team involves giving those two a solid chunk of even-strength time together.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Not gonna lie, I love seeing Thomas and Kyrou together and I think the pairing of the two brings out Thomas's creativity at 5v5 in particular. My feeling is that the best version of this team involves giving those two a solid chunk of even-strength time together.

They do look good together, but I want to say that the Blues record isn't good when theyre on the same line though. This goes back to last season when they played together with Hoffman. I'd have to check on that specifically though. I do think they bring an element of speed that should be spread throughout the lineup rather than concentrated on one line. What makes the Blues successful is how speed, physicality, and skill are blended throughout the depth chart.

Reactions: parliamentlite

parliamentlite

Feb 26, 2019
I like Thomas and Kyrou together, but I think they need a banger on the left side. Someone to create chaos and open things up.
That could be it for sure, seems like Kostin is auditioning for that role. Buch or even Sunny some day could round that group out, too.

Sorta stinks that we haven't been able to field a full roster yet but it's an opportunity for some experimentation too.

Zachary Hines

May 16, 2021
This game was brutual. Officiating has been terrible in general. Kostin i feel played well. O Reilly was quiet. Hopefully he quickly gets his feet under him again. Do we know how long schenn is out for? Krug was sorely missed.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Tough game overall. We really missed Krug and ROR looked a little off after having to sit for a while.

Thought the Kostin - Barbashev - Buchnevich line looked fantastic, starting to build some good chemistry. They look like a nightmare to play against: fast, physical, and plenty of skill.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
How did Faulk play? Looks like in highlights he was top of things on ice. :sarcasm:
If you only look for bad plays, then that's all you'll see.

I could give you a real break down of how Faulk played, but it's not worth writing out a response when you don't care if he actually played well.

Reactions: DoubleK81

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Tough game overall. We really missed Krug and ROR looked a little off after having to sit for a while.

Thought the Kostin - Barbashev - Buchnevich line looked fantastic, starting to build some good chemistry. They look like a nightmare to play against: fast, physical, and plenty of skill.
Yes, but Kostin is kinda blank.

EDIT: He does have a wicked shot.

Last edited:

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Neighbors has kind of disappeared to a large degree. I think if the line-up is healthy there's just not room for him. I will be surprised if he doesn't get sent back down to juniors.

Reactions: stlwahoo

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Neighbors has kind of disappeared to a large degree. I think if the line-up is healthy there's just not room for him. I will be surprised if he doesn't get sent back down to juniors.
Neighbours has stalled, for sure. Keeping him up doesn't make sense any longer.

If Kostin can cut down on the mistakes and penalties and continue to release that shot of his, then I may be more optimistic of his future in the NHL.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If you only look for bad plays, then that's all you'll see.

I could give you a real break down of how Faulk played, but it's not worth writing out a response when you don't care if he actually played well.
1st goal is good example how Faulk defend, box out and leaves his man wide open.

Last edited:

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
That might have been the softest cross checking call in existence on Getzlaf
Pretty much all 3 calls last night were soft. I think both teams played extremely disciplined, it was like the refs were afraid to go a full game without calling something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad