Proposal: Blues & Devils

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Shattenkirk + Sobotka + Barbashev for Zacha + 2017 2nd (higher of the two they own)

On pure value alone, I don't see how the Devils don't accept that.

Zacha isn't that good of a prospect to warrant that package.

Personally, I wouldn't accept as a Devils fan just because I don't feel Shattenkirk is needed right now. One year left and he isn't turning this team into a competitor overnight.

Last edited:

SnoopDogg

Gin and Juice
Jan 13, 2016
Buffalo
On pure value alone, I don't see how the Devils don't accept that.

Zacha isn't that good of a prospect to warrant that package.
I agree with this guy, he seems like a very overrated prospect to have gone 6th overall without even being a PPG player in the OHL.. am I missing something here? I don't know how he went 6th overall in general.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Looks like short term value favors NJ. I'm not sure how they feel about Zacha, but it looks slightly worse if Shattenkirk doesn't re-sign.

warrior67

Jul 16, 2016
hockey purgatory
Shattenkirk + Sobotka + Barbashev for Zacha + 2017 2nd (higher of the two they own)

I would do shatty for zacha straight up, but including a really good middle/bottom 6 center and one of our best forward prospects would be a big overpayment. Zacha may be a great prospect, but Shatty is already a proven top 4 potential top 2 RH dman. Something that nj greatly needs and has cap space for.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
I can't see Blues making this because I think they are really high on Sobotka still. I think this is decent proposal though, if Shattenkirk is considered as UFA.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
OP from Stl that NJ would say no to it anyways.

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Sacha

Maybe Zacha wasn't a great pick at # 6.

Sarnia's system during the year was very defensive. So maybe he can be solid NHL centre with some offence that we didn't really see in junior.

Shattenkirk....I got to imagine the Blues will keep him for Stanley Cup run, and next summer some team will wildly over pay him as a UFA.

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
Blues decline imo

If we're adding Barbashev and Sobotka to Shattenkirk, I'd be asking for Zacha + McLeod, or at least Zacha + a 1st.

New Jersey won't be making any deal for Shattenkirk without speaking first to his agent and coming to an agreement in principle on a new contract.

The Blues have already said they would permit this, and we know Edmonton, at least, had had such conversations before a potential deal was nixed. So--assume, in any hypothetical proposal, that the gaining team would have a similar opportunity.

In that scenario, I think Zacha+McLeod is fair value for Shattenkirk, Barbashev and Sobotka, and I think it helps both teams now and in the future.

But, although New Jersey has cap room, that's a lot of cap to eat, and a lot of talented youth to give up. I think, if StL really wanted to seal that deal, they need to kick in a good defensive prospect or a 2nd/3rd round pick.

Of course, I don't think beither team is desperate enough to work that hard on such a deal. So--the safer proposal might be:

Zacha+2nd
Or
McLeod+1st
For
Shattenkirk + X

The X could be whatever Blues prospect not named Dunn, Schmaltz, Kyrou or Thompson that NJ covets most.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Maybe Zacha wasn't a great pick at # 6.

Sarnia's system during the year was very defensive. So maybe he can be solid NHL centre with some offence that we didn't really see in junior.

Shattenkirk....I got to imagine the Blues will keep him for Stanley Cup run, and next summer some team will wildly over pay him as a UFA.
While I never believe it's a good idea to disregard CHL stats, Zacha has put up 8 points in 9 pro games as an 18 year old.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
If we're adding Barbashev and Sobotka to Shattenkirk, I'd be asking for Zacha + McLeod, or at least Zacha + a 1st.

New Jersey won't be making any deal for Shattenkirk without speaking first to his agent and coming to an agreement in principle on a new contract.

The Blues have already said they would permit this, and we know Edmonton, at least, had had such conversations before a potential deal was nixed. So--assume, in any hypothetical proposal, that the gaining team would have a similar opportunity.

In that scenario, I think Zacha+McLeod is fair value for Shattenkirk, Barbashev and Sobotka, and I think it helps both teams now and in the future.

But, although New Jersey has cap room, that's a lot of cap to eat, and a lot of talented youth to give up. I think, if StL really wanted to seal that deal, they need to kick in a good defensive prospect or a 2nd/3rd round pick.

Of course, I don't think beither team is desperate enough to work that hard on such a deal. So--the safer proposal might be:

Zacha+2nd
Or
McLeod+1st
For
Shattenkirk + X

The X could be whatever Blues prospect not named Dunn, Schmaltz, Kyrou or Thompson that NJ covets most.

if that's the price, NJ would likely much rather just take the gamble he hits UFA and take a run at him then.

there's not really a deal to be made involving their two best forward prospects. I'm not sure I'd do the 'safer' deals either.. definitely not the second one and likely not the first. I'd have to heavily consider the deal in the OP for an extended Shatty (can probably pull Sobotka off).

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

Why would the Blues sign Shattenkirk when they have Parayko & Pietrangelo? Those two are why the Blues are trying to trade Shattenkirk. It wouldn't be smart asset management to sign Shattenkirk from the Blues' perspective.

No way does NJ deal Zacha + McLeod.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
people saying zacha isn't that good. :shakehead ********!. We will see what your saying after he kicks ass this year. I hope elias comes back to play with him.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Why would the Blues sign Shattenkirk when they have Parayko & Pietrangelo? Those two are why the Blues are trying to trade Shattenkirk. It wouldn't be smart asset management to sign Shattenkirk from the Blues' perspective.

No way does NJ deal Zacha + McLeod.

He didn't say the Blues would sign him, just hold onto him for the final year of his contract.

Personally I think you either drop one of Sobotka/Barbashev from the deal or you turn NJs 2nd into a 1st. But it's not far off IMO. Very little doubt in my mind that Shattenkirk would re-sign with NJ. He played in their youth organization as a kid. Sure they aren't the Rangers, but you can bet they're a team he'd consider given their location.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
I don't really think people realize how good of a prospect Zacha is and what a great player he will become. But that's fine with us though. Us Devils fans are used to those kind of things.

The Devils are not trading Zacha. He's a player we're building around.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
its definitely intriguing and gets me to think about it. However, I just can't see the Devils realistically traded Zacha at this point and time.

and I assume it means Shatty comes with an extension, otherwise I'm not even remotely interested.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I agree with this guy, he seems like a very overrated prospect to have gone 6th overall without even being a PPG player in the OHL.. am I missing something here? I don't know how he went 6th overall in general.

Yeah your right cause stats mean everything. What a joke. He six foot 3 skates amazing has sick hands. He can already play two wAy game.. Why am I wasting my time. God this site has gone down hill its filled with stat watching kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $5,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $800.00