Blues 2024 Off-Season Trade Proposals Thread

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Do you think Adam Fox is an entitled asshole as well? I’d gladly take him on our team.

Talent is talent. I’ll take as much as we can get, and McGroarty is a projected top six winger with leadership qualities (captained the U20 U.S. team last year) and production in college. McGroarty would automatically slot on our top line.
Wait a sec......didn't Adam Fox refuse to sign in Carolina as well?

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Drysdale had a pretty good 21-22 and a decent rookie season when he came up. It was on Anaheim, so it questions how much to weigh in +\- but nonetheless Drysdale is still a 6’ very good skating RHD that has offensive ability that plays at the NHL level. He’s also only 22.

I agree draft position shouldn’t matter. He’s lost quite a bit of development time to injury, but it still wouldn’t surprise me if Drysdale is a pretty good # 3 in the NHL.
Just to start, I'd generally agree with what you're saying,

To expand on the thought, Drysdale was a former 6th overall pick, great skater, and a RH shot. Just that alone gives him incredible value in the eyes of GMs. Whether or not that's true doesn't matter, he had the talent to be drafted high, he skates very well in a league driven by skating efficiency, and plays a premium position as a right shot defenseman. I agree that he looked decent on a awful Ducks team, so there's clearly skill there. The thing to worry about is the injuries, but as a young player, my guess is Philly probably figured he could get over those and be an impact player in a few years.

Overall, it's probably fair-ish value considering what the Flyers were getting just in draft status and position alone, but it looks to be slanted towards Anaheim at this point. However, lots of people were calling Dahlin a bum after the 20-21 season, and he seems to have corrected that by being surrounded with much better players. I'd guess Drysdale will bounce back a bit and be a good #3 or fine #2 on the Flyers, or the Ducks could have stolen Gauthier from under Philly. Time will tell.

All this to say, the trade at the time was generally a "fair" deal probably giving Anaheim the edge, but with position, ability, history, and draft stock, it made sense for Philadelphia.

Reactions: BleedBlue14

blue zone

Apr 14, 2024
Gauthier scored nearly a goal per game at BC, and looks to be a potential solid 6'2" 1LW. Drysdale is an undersized RD that tied for the lowest +/- on his team, already tore up his shoulder and just had a hernia operated on. He has averaged 42 games a season, but he might be a #3.
Dylan Carlson was once a top prospect in the MLB three years ago, and he just netted the Cardinals a below average RP.
And that plays to my point on McGroarty, he is not Gauthier (not sure if he is worth Drysdale +a low 2nd). I am pretty sure I would not trade Bolduc for 23-24 Drysdale, and not sure if I would trade Dean for a 2nd. If that's the case, why would I trade them for a lesser player?

Reactions: ArenaRat

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Wait a sec......didn't Adam Fox refuse to sign in Carolina as well?

The Calgary Flames were the ones who drafted him, but they dealt him to Carolina for fear of not signing with them. Carolina traded his rights to the Rangers after he made it clear he wasn't signing with them either.

But I would still gladly take him on our team, and I would very much gladly take McGroarty on our team as well, if he doesn't sign with Winnipeg.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
The biggest point to the McGroarty talk is that Winnipeg has zero leverage here. He's playing in the NCAA and can have his pick of the litter if he wants. He's already made it clear he doesn't want to play on the Jets and wants an opportunity to make the team immediately. Whether or not that is stupid thinking from McGroarty is besides the point; he wants every opportunity to play.

In that aspect, the Jets can do one of two things: trade him now, or trade him later in hopes that a team gets desperate. The fact of the matter is he isn't an established NHL player, so I don't know how many teams will be desperate for his services, but rather they'll have an excess at a position or depth and will make a trade then. In all cases though, Winnipeg can't really ask for the value that he's worth, so they might have to settle. My guess is whatever you think McGroarty is worth, bump that down to something like what Savoie returned. Unless there are multiple teams bidding (more than 2), I'm not sure the return will be looked at as a massive win for Winnipeg. I could be wrong though *shrug*

Reactions: Bluesnatic27

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
The Calgary Flames were the ones who drafted him, but they dealt him to Carolina for fear of not signing with them. Carolina traded his rights to the Rangers after he made it clear he wasn't signing with them either.

But I would still gladly take him on our team, and I would very much gladly take McGroarty on our team as well, if he doesn't sign with Winnipeg.
Entitlement is a gateway drug.

He is demanding a NHL roster spot or else. A prospect making demands. What else is he going to want? And then what? And then what?

f*** him

Can't wait to read the reactions if Snuggy plays this game and we lose him for less than.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Entitlement is a gateway drug.

He is demanding a NHL roster spot or else. A prospect making demands. What else is he going to want? And then what? And then what?

f*** him

Can't wait to read the reactions if Snuggy plays this game and we lose him for less than.
If Snuggy was playing that game, or if the Blues thought he would, he would have been traded at the draft.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
If Snuggy was playing that game, or if the Blues thought he would, he would have been traded at the draft.
Agreed. And the Blues have made it clear they’re willing to do for Snuggerud what WPG wouldn’t do for McGroarty - have him join the team in April and burn a year.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Agreed. And the Blues have made it clear they’re willing to do for Snuggerud what WPG wouldn’t do for McGroarty - have him join the team in April and burn a year.
Agreed. I truly think Snuggy just wants to went the College Championship before he leaves and he feels he let his team down after the WJC last season.

Reactions: Xerloris

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Gauthier scored nearly a goal per game at BC, and looks to be a potential solid 6'2" 1LW. Drysdale is an undersized RD that tied for the lowest +/- on his team, already tore up his shoulder and just had a hernia operated on. He has averaged 42 games a season, but he might be a #3.
Dylan Carlson was once a top prospect in the MLB three years ago, and he just netted the Cardinals a below average RP.
And that plays to my point on McGroarty, he is not Gauthier (not sure if he is worth Drysdale +a low 2nd). I am pretty sure I would not trade Bolduc for 23-24 Drysdale, and not sure if I would trade Dean for a 2nd. If that's the case, why would I trade them for a lesser player?

Baseball is not a good comparable. Although, I understand your sentiment.

That being said, Drysdale was thrown into a pretty large role on a horrifically bad team at the age of 18. Gauthier will turn 21 in January.

I'm not sure 5'11-6' should be undersized when you aren't a defenseman that isn't going to be heavily relied upon as a shutdown player.

Drysdale very easily looked like a Quinn Hughes prior to reaching the NHL level, just as Gauthier looks like a bigger bodied 1LW.

Injuries are certainly concerning sure, but at the same time, it's hard to give up on a guy due to injuries when they've shown a real ability to be productive at the highest level in the league in their 18-19 year old seasons. You weren't expecting him to come in and be a defensive stud.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
If the article JR posted is anything to go off of, he was really close to signing with the team in April. The article quoted him saying something along the lines of "I went to bed thinking I was going to sign with the Blues, and woke up the next morning and decided to return." Definitely sounded like a guy who really just wants to play one more year of college hockey and try to bring a championship to the school both his father and grandfather played at.

Linkens Mastery

Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If the article JR posted is anything to go off of, he was really close to signing with the team in April. The article quoted him saying something along the lines of "I went to bed thinking I was going to sign with the Blues, and woke up the next morning and decided to return." Definitely sounded like a guy who really just wants to play one more year of college hockey and try to bring a championship to the school both his father and grandfather played at.
Yep yep.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Better playmaker and defender, and while he's not at Bolduc's goal-scoring peak, I don't think McGroarty's a slouch in that department at all (ultimately, I'd say he's a potential thirty-goal-seventy-point winger with fantastic defense who can play anywhere and be helpful, and that's just as valuable as a forty-goal scorer. Like McGroarty's Buchnevich (peak) to Bolduc's Tarasenko (peak), if we had to compare Blue apples to Blue apples. ;) ). Definitely a glue guy like Neighbours or Stenberg with tons of physicality (Bolduc is noticeably less physical and more of a perimeter player. Not a bad thing, necessarily; I'm into talent wherever it may be, which is why my faith in Kyrou hasn't wavered.), and that's something I could see appealing to the Blues. We're a physical forechecking team at our core. Yes, there's skill, but we've always had that physicality and defensive play when it comes to our forwards, and we won the Cup with that physicality and great defensive play from the vast majority of our forwards.

I'm not going to lie and say that putting McGroarty with Thomas, Kyrou, Neighbours, Buchnevich, and possibly Snuggerud, Dvorsky, and Stenberg, (and maaaybe Susuyev) doesn't sound extremely tempting, and while I'd gladly give up "only" Dean + Ralph/Fischer/Buchinger (EDIT: f***ing human error) for him instead of Bolduc and a third, I don't see it happening.

What I'm saying is Winnipeg would be stupid to take a deal that didn't include Bolduc; regardless of whether he wants to play there or not, he's easily their best prospect, and there's going to be suitors that will pay more than Dean + a defenseman that isn't Lindstein or Jiricek. Honestly, if Montreal and Columbus are in on it, I don't see any way we get him unless we do give up Bolduc and a mid-round pick; both of those teams' prospect pools are far more appealing than ours, and they're probably going to be picking higher in the next draft as well. McGroarty doesn't have any leverage when it comes to a trade: just whether he signs with a team or not.
So, you are saying his upside is a 30+ Goal, 70+ Point player.
The Blues have had 3 players score 30+ goals and have 70+ points in a season, over the past 10 seasons:
Tarasenko did it 6 times
Kyrou 2 Times
Buch 1 Time

Over the past 20 seasons, only 5 Blues have had 30+ goals and 70+ points in a season, Tarasenko, Kyrou, Buch, Tkachuk, and Brad Boyes.

With that in mind, there really shouldn't be any untouchable prospects in the current Blues organization that you shouldn't consider trading for McGroarty.
Dean and Bolduc is not going to get that deal done.
More likely it would take Snuggy + a prospect or pick to get that deal done.

Reactions: Memento

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
That's good news!

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
The biggest point to the McGroarty talk is that Winnipeg has zero leverage here. He's playing in the NCAA and can have his pick of the litter if he wants. He's already made it clear he doesn't want to play on the Jets and wants an opportunity to make the team immediately. Whether or not that is stupid thinking from McGroarty is besides the point; he wants every opportunity to play.

In that aspect, the Jets can do one of two things: trade him now, or trade him later in hopes that a team gets desperate. The fact of the matter is he isn't an established NHL player, so I don't know how many teams will be desperate for his services, but rather they'll have an excess at a position or depth and will make a trade then. In all cases though, Winnipeg can't really ask for the value that he's worth, so they might have to settle. My guess is whatever you think McGroarty is worth, bump that down to something like what Savoie returned. Unless there are multiple teams bidding (more than 2), I'm not sure the return will be looked at as a massive win for Winnipeg. I could be wrong though *shrug*
Same situation with Snuggy.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Snuggerud has never public come out (or his agent) and said he didn't want to play for the Blues. Unless I've missed something, the expectation is that he signs after his season is over this year and plays a handful of games.
Unless he changes his mind.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I mean we can have that discussion if it gets to that point, but that is information that we don't have and all accounts point to that not being the case right now. Sure, something could change, but the scenarios between Snuggerud and McGroarty aren't equivalent yet.
Yep, I understand.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I mean we can have that discussion if it gets to that point, but that is information that we don't have and all accounts point to that not being the case right now. Sure, something could change, but the scenarios between Snuggerud and McGroarty aren't equivalent yet.
And to be clear, McGroarty wanted to turn pro but jets wouldn’t burn year, as is common for prospects of this caliber. Only then did he ask for a trade. This is completely Jets’ own doing. There is no reason to believe he (or snuggy) is a prima donna or would be tough sign for Blues.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I don't know much about McGroarty as a prospect but I think he seems just a bit of an entitled :eek::eek::eek::eek: and personally I don't much care for entitled :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:. If you promise him a NHL job now if he actually performs he's gonna demand 11m/yr for 5 years like that one guy in Toronto. Can't build teams around a few entitled players.

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Snuggerud has never public come out (or his agent) and said he didn't want to play for the Blues. Unless I've missed something, the expectation is that he signs after his season is over this year and plays a handful of games.
McGroarty doesn't want to play/start in the AHL, which is pretty much the same situation with Snuggy.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Unless I've missed something, McGroarty (nor his agent) has said that about the Jets.

The only reports I have seen are that he has told the Jets that he won't sign for them this summer because they won't offer assurance that he will play in the NHL. Moreover, neither the Jets nor McGroarty have publicly commented. I haven't seen a single report even suggesting that McGroarty has indicated that he will play 2 more NCAA seasons to go UFA in favor of signing with the Jets. I haven't seen a single report that McGroarty is unwilling to sign with the Jets in the spring after his NCAA season.

There has been significantly more speculation about the status of the relationship between McGroarty and the Jets than there has been about Snuggy and the Blues. I think McGraorty's lack of comment has fueled that to a degree, but I would also expect more coverage/speculation about a Canadian market with a reputation for being unappealing to players than a smaller market US team. Especially since the Jets are currently a couple steps better than the Blues.

But in terms of what has actually been said, our expectation that Snuggy will sign in the spring and McGroarty won't is based pretty much entirely on speculation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad