Blues 2024 Off-Season Trade Proposals Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't think Dallas would do that deal. Especially with us.
Offer-sheet. Army probably view it as something that could be successful, so probably wouldn't actually do it though. They are relatively tight against the cap and are probably wanting to bridge him.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If we could put at least some protection on pick (via trade), I likely would. If we offer sheet there wouldn’t be protection, and I don’t think I’d take that risk.
I guess my view is, as long as we don't have a horribad season, those picks combined likely won't be as good as Harley. There is that nightmare scenario though.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I would expect Dallas to match anything fairly easily.
They would have to move a good amount of salary if someone comes in hard. They have 6.2M in cap space with 3 left to sign including Harley. Next year they have money coming off, but Johnson and Oettinger due for deals. Don't think it's likely, but of teams with big RFAs, they are probably the most vulnerable.

Especially don't expect it because we helped them by taking Faksa.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
They would have to move a good amount of salary if someone comes in hard. They have 6.2M in cap space with 3 left to sign including Harley. Next year they have money coming off, but Johnson and Oettinger due for deals. Don't think it's likely, but of teams with big RFAs, they are probably the most vulnerable.

Especially don't expect it because we helped them by taking Faksa.
I don't see us doing it regardless. Nill and Army appear to have a real solid relationship. We may not get either Oiler, but we rather screwed up their plans in a way that they are truly worse off than they were a week ago. Hard to see Army deciding to do that to a friend.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't see us doing it regardless. Nill and Army appear to have a real solid relationship. We may not get either Oiler, but we rather screwed up their plans in a way that they are truly worse off than they were a week ago. Hard to see Army deciding to do that to a friend.
Still reminded by the point Army made. Unsuccessful offer-sheets are taboo. I don't think it's offer-sheets in general that GMs hate, but if a GM just starts throwing out offer-sheets that are easily matched, then they hate those.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Still reminded by the point Army made. Unsuccessful offer-sheets are taboo. I don't think it's offer-sheets in general that GMs hate, but if a GM just starts throwing out offer-sheets that are easily matched, then they hate those.

Good point made by you and Army. Not only that but you need the player to actually want out bad enough to sign his name on the offer sheet. I could be totally wrong about this, but I would suspect that Harley has no desire to get out of Dallas. Warm weather, no tax state and a team that is primed to compete for the next few years at least. Unless Dallas is really jerking him around then I bet he's not really interested in signing an offer sheet. He's too important and too good for them to risk losing him.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
The other thing to consider is the difference in contract AAV being offered.

I.E. we offered Broberg something like 250% more than Edmonton. Even if he wanted to stay put that’s a massive difference in salary that would be virtually impossible turn down.

I’m not sure that anybody could offer Harley an realistic AAV high enough to get him to walk.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
Good point made by you and Army. Not only that but you need the player to actually want out bad enough to sign his name on the offer sheet. I could be totally wrong about this, but I would suspect that Harley has no desire to get out of Dallas. Warm weather, no tax state and a team that is primed to compete for the next few years at least. Unless Dallas is really jerking him around then I bet he's not really interested in signing an offer sheet. He's too important and too good for them to risk losing him.
This Texas no tax thing is misleading.

Their statewide sales tax rate is higher than both California and New York.
Texas' Effective Property Tax Rate is the 6th highest in the country.

Veterans who have a 100% disability rating with the VA are not charged property tax, so they have a clear advantage over others.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020

Veterans who have a 100% disability rating with the VA are not charged property tax, so they have a clear advantage over others.
The overall tax burden (based on sales, income, property and excise taxes) in Texas is one of the lowest in the US, Tennessee and Florida are the states with lower taxes that have NHL teams, NV is slightly lower and Missouri and Carolina are slightly higher

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
The overall tax burden (based on sales, income, property and excise taxes) in Texas is one of the lowest in the US, Tennessee and Florida are the states with lower taxes that have NHL teams, NV is slightly lower and Missouri and Carolina are slightly higher
Sounds like you're saying that the combination of higher taxes (other than income tax) is not making up the difference of having no income tax, therefore, less tax burden.

Makes sense.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Sounds like you're saying that the combination of higher taxes (other than income tax) is not making up the difference of having no income tax, therefore, less tax burden.

Makes sense.
I looked at overall levels, I would take a (very slightly) educated guess and imagine that those states with income taxes may have a even larger disparity on high income earners, such as professional athletes

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017

So he has to buy his Ferrari in Nevada?

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Some discrepancies in methodology cause differences in the rankings, but here are some sources:

I looked at overall levels, I would take a (very slightly) educated guess and imagine that those states with income taxes may have a even larger disparity on high income earners, such as professional athletes
Probably. It’s also difficult because income tax states don’t all do it the same. It depends if they have a graduated or flat tax. Most are probably graduated. But Illinois for example is flat. Then it also depends on the graduations.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Just for the hell of it, would you trade a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for Harley?
Unprotected as required for an offer sheet? Nope.

I like Harley a lot, but even adding him to the roster there are plenty of scenarios where I could see us still being a lottery team. Not a 50 point bottom of the barrel lottery team, but a team with a chance to get a really, really nice prospect in the 1st round. I think we'd have to go to $9M AAV to have a chance to actually get Harley and that is a lot, especially when you start thinking about what kind of term you want to do. Can't go more than 5 years, but a 5 year deal walks him straight to UFA. Do you go 4 years so you are negotiating with a guy who ends at RFA? Would he take that? 2 years and then hope he doesn't squeeze a big raise from you with arbitration rights?

Too big of a risk for me.

However, if Edmonton matches the Broberg offer sheet, I would very much go to Dallas and wield the threat of an offer sheet to try and get them to entertain a trade.

Nick Leddy with 50% retention sure wouldn't be a bad fit for a cap-crunched team trying to win right now. Neither would Saad with 50% retention. I'd wager either (or both) would waive to go to Dallas. Get the 2025 1st involved (top 10 protected) and suddenly you're getting much closer to a deal that could make a lot more sense to both parties than an offer sheet would.

I don't think Dallas would have considered a collection of parts/assets for Harley a few weeks ago, but watching a couple offer sheets unfold may have simultaneously energized Harley's camp and weakened Dallas'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Some discrepancies in methodology cause differences in the rankings, but here are some sources:

Probably. It’s also difficult because income tax states don’t all do it the same. It depends if they have a graduated or flat tax. Most are probably graduated. But Illinois for example is flat. Then it also depends on the graduations.
There is a good reason I live in Tennessee. Actually several, but the economy is a big plus.

I formerly lived in the county in the USA which had the single lowest cost of living in the United States at the time (Cameron County Texas, Brownsville area). But there were some negative trade offs for the positives.

I much prefer having a higher property tax and no income tax. Most counties in Texas do not update your properties value until it changes hands. We paid pretty low taxes on our home that we owned for several years while it appreciated considerably in value. The lower overall tax burden in Texas is very real and it was easy to notice it when I moved there after living in Missouri and then New Mexico. It was jarring when I moved to Montana after and realized how much I was paying in various taxes. I doubt I’ll ever move away from Tennessee. Beautiful Appalachian surroundings, great weather, good people, low cost of living. My wife has never been happier, amd we’ve seen a few alternatives over the years.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
There is a good reason I live in Tennessee. Actually several, but the economy is a big plus.

I formerly lived in the county in the USA which had the single lowest cost of living in the United States at the time (Cameron County Texas, Brownsville area). But there were some negative trade offs for the positives.

I much prefer having a higher property tax and no income tax. Most counties in Texas do not update your properties value until it changes hands. We paid pretty low taxes on our home that we owned for several years while it appreciated considerably in value. The lower overall tax burden in Texas is very real and it was easy to notice it when I moved there after living in Missouri and then New Mexico. It was jarring when I moved to Montana after and realized how much I was paying in various taxes. I doubt I’ll ever move away from Tennessee. Beautiful Appalachian surroundings, great weather, good people, low cost of living. My wife has never been happier, amd we’ve seen a few alternatives over the years.
Go ahead, rub it in

• Haha
Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006

Taxes don’t bother me too much if you are getting value back, just like any other expense.

Not that you asked, but I personally could never do a Texas or New Mexico (it’s the heat). Montana does have some appeal, but that’s largely because of its landscapes. I have not spent time in Tennessee outside of Nashville and that’s not really my scene.

Regardless, Chicago for me (as an urbanist who likes an affordable city, as far as cities go) is the best possible spot. Do I wish the real estate taxes were lower? Sure, but we have good schools where I am and a forest preserve right next to an urban neighborhood. It’s the best of both for me. A mountain range would be nice if I was getting picky though.

Last edited:

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
Taxes don’t bother me too much if you are getting value back, just like any other expense.

Not that you asked, but I personally could never do a Texas or New Mexico (it’s the heat). Montana does have some appeal, but that’s largely because of its landscapes. I have not spent time in Tennessee outside of a Nashville and that’s not really my scene.

Regardless, Chicago for me (as an urbanist who likes an affordable city, as far as cities go) is the best possible spot. Do I wish the real estate taxes were lower? Sure, but we have good schools where I am and a first preserve right next to an urban neighborhood. It’s the best of both for me. A mountain range would be nice if I was getting picky though.
Head west to Galena for a long weekend, especially during the winter.

Reactions: Celtic Note
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad