Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Anyone up to run the prospect poll this year? Probably don't want to do it until after the camp, and I'm going out of town on Wednesday for a couple of weeks or I would do it, but I'm very interested to see how things shake out this year.
I don’t mind running them.

Probably won’t start them for another week or two. Let folks see prospect camp and catch up on some of the new guys.

AVictoryDive

Jan 7, 2013
Collinsville, IL
I’m at prospect camp as we speak.

I’ll have write ups after Wednesday when I find time to compose my thoughts. But quick word, Dvorsky’s skating has improved. I was never one to think of it as bad. But it’s much more powerful and much more efficient.
The tards BK & Ferrario interviewed him and man he speaks pretty clear English and sounds mature. Definitely stoked to see how he does this year no matter where he is

Last edited:

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022

Music to my ears.

Ive always thought a huge bonus to the Dalibor pick is he seems like Captain material. Hard working, mature young man. If he develops into an elite player and provides leadership, absolute home run selection.
His drive is out of this world. You can tell he's going to 100% maximize his skills as much as is physically possible for him.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Anyone up to run the prospect poll this year? Probably don't want to do it until after the camp, and I'm going out of town on Wednesday for a couple of weeks or I would do it, but I'm very interested to see how things shake out this year.
I can do it again. I'm going to let the dust settle a few days before we start, though.

I don’t mind running them.

Probably won’t start them for another week or two. Let folks see prospect camp and catch up on some of the new guys.
Have at it. Happy to let someone else take it.

Reactions: STL fan in MN

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

Music to my ears.

His drive is out of this world. You can tell he's going to 100% maximize his skills as much as is physically possible for him.
Lindstein does indeed look good. And I mean, like, real good.

I need to watch more, of course. But I see the talent to be a top pairing player having him this close. I’m not sure I see the playstyle of a top pairing player just yet. But the talent is there.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
he should. he was drafted in 22 and is older than pretty much all of the better prospects there.
Exactly, some were also saying Malmstrom stood out too. These sessions, you should expect early picks of any age to stand out, and then older prospects to stand out, guys like Malmstrom that have played professional should absolutely dominate. That's why I take some of the evaluations with a grain of salt.

Training camp is the one where you can actually get a feel for them. At a bare minimum, it's still good that they stand out when they should stand out.

Reactions: Blueston

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I was there as well and agree with @Bluesnatic27, Dvorsky skating has definitely improved. Don't think his top speed will ever be "elite" but his acceleration has improved significantly. I also agree with the tweets about Lindstein, as good as Dvorsky looked I think their is argument that Lindstein was the most impressive on ice today. Again, it's one day so small sample but lots to be excited about.

Sadly I am working most of this week, couldn't get the vacation approved, so I am unable to attend every day. Because of this I think I will refrain from my regular write up this year and rely on the word of my fellow blues fans in attendance.

LetsGoBooze

Dickinson was in range...
Jan 16, 2012
I'm interested in any information or insight on our two 2nd round LDs selected this year. How'd they look? Noticeable in any ways other than just being big bodies? Not much information out on the web for us internet sleuths, so any subjective information anyone could share on Ralph and Fischer would be great.

Reactions: HighNote

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
All the Blues need to do is develop one of the guys into a legit #1. If you do that, then any number of players can slot in on whatever side they need to and help anchor the 1st and 2nd pairs. If we don't develop a #1, then you absolutely have to hit on players who project as 35-45 point players with top notch defensive ability. Plenty of teams have shown that you can do really well with a strong blueline of similar players, but if you have those elite defensemen, then you can get away with having lesser guys fill out the defense. Either way, Lindstein developing into a #1 LH d-man is going to fix A LOT of problems we have. Really hoping one of MAG, Malmstrom, Loof, or Buchinger can emerge as a good option on the 2nd or 3rd pair very soon (Loof and Malmstrom -> hoping for a Gunnarsson type). On the right side you're kind of boned, but you still have Parayko and Faulk for a long time. I'm really hoping Kessel can take another step and relieve pressure off of Faulk and Parayko, but that's asking a lot of a guy who's potential is MAYBE top 4 at the max. Blues have got to start shipping out some of the LH d prospects for right handers to balance things out.

There's a lot of decent quality guys in the system, but we start using the assets we have to get a top 4 RH blueliner. Blues have 13 left handers vs 6 right handers (this includes ALL guys "in the system" ie Kessel, Tucker, Biakabutuka, Skinner, Johannesson). Literally doubling LH vs RH and having higher quality on the left side is a bit scary since all of the right side guys we have are getting older. Hopefully Army/Steen start looking for partners to remedy that.

Reactions: HighNote

ExtraExtra888

Jul 10, 2023
Yeah Lindstein looked incredible. So calm and so aware of everything happening on the ice. And yes I think there is more offense there just based on how smart he is.

Ralph looked nervous. Lukas Fischer is an incredible skater and looked fine overall. Based on today's performance I can't imagine why the blues had Ralph rated above Fischer but I will reserve most of that judgement until the end of camp.

Also it seems like there is a large gap in talent between the two prospect teams. On the Dvorsky team the next best player is who? Kaskimaki? Maybe? On the other team there's Snuggy, Stenberg, Lindstein, Buchinger, Pekarcik and Gaudet. Weird distribution of talent.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
Also it seems like there is a large gap in talent between the two prospect teams. On the Dvorsky team the next best player is who? Kaskimaki? Maybe? On the other team there's Snuggy, Stenberg, Lindstein, Buchinger, Pekarcik and Gaudet. Weird distribution of talent.
I thought that was odd when I saw the rosters. Team Snuggy is LOADED.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
All the Blues need to do is develop one of the guys into a legit #1. If you do that, then any number of players can slot in on whatever side they need to and help anchor the 1st and 2nd pairs. If we don't develop a #1, then you absolutely have to hit on players who project as 35-45 point players with top notch defensive ability. Plenty of teams have shown that you can do really well with a strong blueline of similar players, but if you have those elite defensemen, then you can get away with having lesser guys fill out the defense. Either way, Lindstein developing into a #1 LH d-man is going to fix A LOT of problems we have. Really hoping one of MAG, Malmstrom, Loof, or Buchinger can emerge as a good option on the 2nd or 3rd pair very soon (Loof and Malmstrom -> hoping for a Gunnarsson type). On the right side you're kind of boned, but you still have Parayko and Faulk for a long time. I'm really hoping Kessel can take another step and relieve pressure off of Faulk and Parayko, but that's asking a lot of a guy who's potential is MAYBE top 4 at the max. Blues have got to start shipping out some of the LH d prospects for right handers to balance things out.

There's a lot of decent quality guys in the system, but we start using the assets we have to get a top 4 RH blueliner. Blues have 13 left handers vs 6 right handers (this includes ALL guys "in the system" ie Kessel, Tucker, Biakabutuka, Skinner, Johannesson). Literally doubling LH vs RH and having higher quality on the left side is a bit scary since all of the right side guys we have are getting older. Hopefully Army/Steen start looking for partners to remedy that.
We just picked RHD in the FIRST ROUND! I think Army/Steen understand the need.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
We just picked RHD in the FIRST ROUND! I think Army/Steen understand the need.
Realistically the Blues have two RH d prospects, one of which is Kessel, the other we just drafted and still isn't playing in scrimmages. There's a chance that Jiricek can be great, but when does he make a significant impact on this team? Faulk will turn 33 this year and Parayko will turn 32. Do we believe that those two can hold the fort on the right side until a guy like Jiricek is ready for the 1st pairing? My point is that, yes, we do have some players who can fill a role right now, but we are in no position to lose a guy like Parayko or Faulk for an extended period. Having a guy who is 21 right now playing in the AHL who can come up and fill that spot adequately I think is important for not only their development, but also so we don't completely sink the team. As much as I want them to be drafting as high as possible, I want the games to be at least competitive while we do that.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Realistically the Blues have two RH d prospects, one of which is Kessel, the other we just drafted and still isn't playing in scrimmages. There's a chance that Jiricek can be great, but when does he make a significant impact on this team? Faulk will turn 33 this year and Parayko will turn 32. Do we believe that those two can hold the fort on the right side until a guy like Jiricek is ready for the 1st pairing? My point is that, yes, we do have some players who can fill a role right now, but we are in no position to lose a guy like Parayko or Faulk for an extended period. Having a guy who is 21 right now playing in the AHL who can come up and fill that spot adequately I think is important for not only their development, but also so we don't completely sink the team. As much as I want them to be drafting as high as possible, I want the games to be at least competitive while we do that.
I don't disagree, but our situation isn't unique. There are a lot more left hand d than right handed (because of dominant hand Canadians particularly play opposite to their handedness in everyday life. Many left handed d can and do play well on right side (heiskanen, dahlin, theodore all come to mind as lhd who play significant time on off side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad