Will Ovechkin break Wayne Gretzky's all-time goal record this upcoming season? He needs 42 goals

Will Ovechkin break Wayne Gretzky's all-time goal record this upcoming season? He needs 42 goals

• Total voters

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I didn't tho, re-read the posts again. F for effort, I'm disappointed in you.
Ahh yes, appologies....it wasn't you, you were trying to provide explanation for earlier post....the guy said this though "I think he falls short by 2-5 goals, but still voted yes" - which seems odd

Reactions: tfwnogf

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
Ahh yes, appologies....it wasn't you, you were trying to provide explanation for earlier post....the guy said this though "I think he falls short by 2-5 goals, but still voted yes" - which seems odd
all good haha, yeah I thought it was odd too :laugh:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think we probably see 35 from him, but I think the chance he does it is above 25%
I think you see the moves Wash made and they want to ensure that there is no repeat of his first half performance from 23/24 season. They want to get him to around 30 goals or something in 24/25 to ensure that he can hit the 42 goals he needs to break the record. Ideally, they'd want it broken in around Xmas 2025 or at the very latest, before the Olympics in 2026. They don't want him going into April 2026 still chasing the record.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
I think he'll do it in the 25-26 season, then retire.

I'm not sure at this point that I'd say it's a 100% guarantee he does it in 25-26 either. If he doesn't though, 100% he's back for 26-27 if he has to skate on one leg to get the record. He's absolutely not retiring till he gets the record, unless he completely falls off a cliff.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Would love to see it happen next season but wouldn't be surprised if he falls short and it happens the season after.

Either way, what a moment it'll be when Ovechkin finally gets that record.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
I'm not sure at this point that I'd say it's a 100% guarantee he does it in 25-26 either. If he doesn't though, 100% he's back for 26-27 if he has to skate on one leg to get the record. He's absolutely not retiring till he gets the record, unless he completely falls off a cliff.
There’s no way he doesn’t get it by 25-26.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Why? He's already more deserving off the record than Gretzky - who played in a far easier scoring environment.

I like the trivia of taking away all of Gretzky’s career record goal totals and still being the all-time leading point scorer more than Ovechkin owning the record outright. I recognize that time is ticking on that bit of trivia, but hey I’m Video Nasty, what do you want from me?

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I like the trivia of taking away all of Gretzky’s career record goal totals and still being the all-time leading point scorer more than Ovechkin owning the record outright. I recognize that time is ticking on that bit of trivia, but hey I’m Video Nasty, what do you want from me?
You realize that both bits of trivia can be true right? Ovechkin having the all-time lead in goals does not make the following statement NOT true: "taking away all of Gretzky’s career record goal totals and still being the all-time leading point scorer"

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
You realize that both bits of trivia can be true right? Ovechkin having the all-time lead in goals does not make the following statement NOT true: "taking away all of Gretzky’s career record goal totals and still being the all-time leading point scorer"

Gretzky would no longer have the record, so no, it’s not quite the same.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Gretzky would no longer have the record, so no, it’s not quite the same.
My guy. You said "I like the trivia of taking away all of Gretzky’s career record goal totals and still being the all-time leading point scorer"

Doesn't matter how many goals Ovechkin scores (unless he somehow gets to 1,964 points). You can still take away all of Gretzky's goals and he's still the all time point leader.

All time point leaders
Gretzky2,857
Gretzky (Assists only)1,963
Jagr1,921
Messier1,887
Howe1,850

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
My guy. You said "I like the trivia of taking away all of Gretzky’s career record goal totals and still being the all-time leading point scorer"

Doesn't matter how many goals Ovechkin scores (unless he somehow gets to 1,964 points). You can still take away all of Gretzky's goals and he's still the all time point leader.

All time point leaders
Gretzky2,857
Gretzky (Assists only)1,963
Jagr1,921
Messier1,887
Howe1,850

I’ve been driving cross country for the past week. I’m not in my right mind and I forfeit this argument.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
There’s no way he doesn’t get it by 25-26.

I think that's the most likely scenario as well, but I just don't feel it's guaranteed. At the rate he's going he's one extended injury away (10+ games) from missing in 25-26.

Something like:
5% chance of making it in 24-25
85% chance of making it in 25-26
10% chance of making it in 26-27

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
I think that's the most likely scenario as well, but I just don't feel it's guaranteed. At the rate he's going he's one extended injury away (10+ games) from missing in 25-26.

Something like:
5% chance of making it in 24-25
85% chance of making it in 25-26
10% chance of making it in 26-27
Russian machine never breaks.

He better lose some weight. Good grief.
He always does by the end of the season.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I would lean towards no but this guy has made many look the fool over the years so anything possible. As shown by the second half of season he still has some gas left. He's doing it sooner or later though that I can confirm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad