Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
which is why we need to harvest prospects from buchy, saad, faulk, and whomever else isn't gonna be here when we are ready to contend.
I think that and bottoming out for a season or two would do wonders for setting us for the next 7-10 years. While that happens augment the youth with some guys to help them through the paces as professionals, insulate them when needed and teach them what winning takes. That sounds like a good plan to me.

Reactions: Blueston

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I think that and bottoming out for a season or two would do wonders for setting us for the next 7-10 years. While that happens augment the youth with some guys to help them through the paces as professionals, insulate them when needed and teach them what winning takes. That sounds like a good plan to me.
But the Blues will not bottom out. We need to operate within that particular reality and what that implies.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

I think we’ve already bottomed out. I think Army’s main focus now is to develop the current crop of prospects and make hockey trades to improve the present team and make a push for the playoffs now.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
But the Blues will not bottom out. We need to operate within that particular reality and what that implies.
What that may do and what the should do may very well be two different things.

And, if we do think this past year will be our deepest valley, then Army will have to be much better than he was previously because the work he will have to do to make us a contender will be more difficult or we have hope our scouts can hit the jackpot.

Reactions: Vladys Gumption

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I find it interesting that we have a SCF matchup that compares one team built almost exclusively through tanking and high draft picks, and its opponent who acquired players a variety of ways without a deliberate tank (and much like the Blues' history, their crack at a 1st overall didn't end up being a franchise caliber player).

It gives me more hope in the Blues' trajectory. When you look back at the 2019 run, there were good players the Blues drafted, some of which were not premium picks, and there were pieces that were acquired through patience and good trades. But you can't really anticipate the trades or see them coming.

Fez Whatley

Jun 7, 2015
I find it interesting that we have a SCF matchup that compares one team built almost exclusively through tanking and high draft picks, and its opponent who acquired players a variety of ways without a deliberate tank (and much like the Blues' history, their crack at a 1st overall didn't end up being a franchise caliber player).

It gives me more hope in the Blues' trajectory. When you look back at the 2019 run, there were good players the Blues drafted, some of which were not premium picks, and there were pieces that were acquired through patience and good trades. But you can't really anticipate the trades or see them coming.
The panthers also play with a similar style to the 19 blues

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
What that may do and what the should do may very well be two different things.

And, if we do think this past year will be our deepest valley, then Army will have to be much better than he was previously because the work he will have to do to make us a contender will be more difficult or we have hope our scouts can hit the jackpot.
There is a seemingly infinite number of ways a Cup-winning roster can be built. Ours was through the draft and grabbing Pietro at #4.

The timing of our re-whatever is unfortunate for Stillman, in that it is during the flat-cap era. My guess is that ownership would stomach a bottom-out if they didn’t have to spend to cap each season during the re-whatever.

There are holes in my logic, I know. Much nuance to add, I know. But I don’t feel like writing a long post.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
There is a seemingly infinite number of ways a Cup-winning roster can be built. Ours was through the draft and grabbing Pietro at #4.

The timing of our re-whatever is unfortunate for Stillman, in that it is during the flat-cap era. My guess is that ownership would stomach a bottom-out if they didn’t have to spend to cap each season during the re-whatever.

There are holes in my logic, I know. Much nuance to add, I know. But I don’t feel like writing a long post.
Brevity is a virtue.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
My God…are there any prospects left unsigned? Seems like we’re signing guys every other day. LoL

July 1 is going to be quiet because Army is going to hit the 50-contract limit before free agency starts.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
My God…are there any prospects left unsigned? Seems like we’re signing guys every other day. LoL

July 1 is going to be quiet because Army is going to hit the 50-contract limit before free agency starts.
The Russians, the College Kids, and Burns are the only ones not signed to a ELC currently.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003

Even with all the guys we've signed, we still have 9 contract spots left.
We still have Alexandrov, Perunovich, Washkurak, Abramov and Skinner as RFA's.
And I'd imagine there's at least some interest in retaining Gaudette, Peca and Rosen for the Springfield roster.

Definitely gives the impression that a trade might be on the horizon.

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
And I'd imagine there's at least some interest in retaining Gaudette, Peca and Rosen for the Springfield roster.

Just to add:
Abramov is going to the KHL and Peca signed an AHL-contract with Springfield.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

We also have 5 current contracts that are slide eligible which I believe are included in that total that do not count against the 50 if they do slide. Dvorsky is the only one who is slide eligible that seems at all likely to be on the NHL roster long enough to account for under the limit. That essentially leaves 13-14 slots we can fill.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
We also have 5 current contracts that are slide eligible which I believe are included in that total that do not count against the 50 if they do slide. Dvorsky is the only one who is slide eligible that seems at all likely to be on the NHL roster long enough to account for under the limit. That essentially leaves 13-14 slots we can fill.
You are correct that the current slide candidates are currently included in the '41 contracts' calculation. However, Dvorsky is currently not counting against that number. We have 42 total contracts including Dvorsky.

Capfriendly has separate icons for 'slide candidate' and 'exempt from the 50 contract limit' but I can't for the life of me figure out how/why those things would require separate calculations. Dvorsky is the only guy they have listed as being exempt from the 50 contract limit at the moment.

Maybe you just don't get the icon until the first time you are actually loaned elsewhere while under contract? I wonder if that means that they officially count against the 50 contract limit all summer until they get loaned back to junior/Europe. That would seem like a very strange rule since you can't loan a newly signed ELC 19 year old elsewhere over the summer (when you would most need to have/create the 'open' contract slot.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
You are correct that the current slide candidates are currently included in the '41 contracts' calculation. However, Dvorsky is currently not counting against that number. We have 42 total contracts including Dvorsky.

Capfriendly has separate icons for 'slide candidate' and 'exempt from the 50 contract limit' but I can't for the life of me figure out how/why those things would require separate calculations. Dvorsky is the only guy they have listed as being exempt from the 50 contract limit at the moment.

Maybe you just don't get the icon until the first time you are actually loaned elsewhere while under contract? I wonder if that means that they officially count against the 50 contract limit all summer until they get loaned back to junior/Europe. That would seem like a very strange rule since you can't loan a newly signed ELC 19 year old elsewhere over the summer (when you would most need to have/create the 'open' contract slot.
You don't have much longer to figure it out, because come 7/5 no more Capfriendly.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
You don't have much longer to figure it out, because come 7/5 no more Capfriendly.
Yup. Super bummed. Happy to see the creator get paid (and presumably a full time job in the Caps hockey operation's department), but it sucks. He did a great job picking up where CapGeek left off. I hate all of the other existing NHL cap sites and hope that someone comes along and creates something roughly on par with CapFriendly.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Yup. Super bummed. Happy to see the creator get paid (and presumably a full time job in the Caps hockey operation's department), but it sucks. He did a great job picking up where CapGeek left off. I hate all of the other existing NHL cap sites and hope that someone comes along and creates something roughly on par with CapFriendly.
Agree on all counts. And no doubt someone will try, as folks see that it paid off for CapFriendly guys. At least Puckpedia is out there for now, and they seem to be trying to improve experience for all of us who preferred CF.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Agree on all counts. And no doubt someone will try, as folks see that it paid off for CapFriendly guys. At least Puckpedia is out there for now, and they seem to be trying to improve experience for all of us who preferred CF.
I'd love if someone just took over CF's UI. Easily the one thing Puckpedia needs to do first is to implement dark mode.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I'd love if someone just took over CF's UI. Easily the one thing Puckpedia needs to do first is to implement dark mode.
Well that’s sort of the main thing the Caps are buying…

But yes, hopefully PuckPedia gets a hold of a quality web developer and they should be able to revamp it a bit to be more aesthetically pleasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad