Confirmed Signing with Link: [PIT] D Sebastian Aho signs with the Penguins (2 years , $775k AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
What exactly is the Pens strategy for this season?

Crosby, Malkin and Letang are not getting any younger.

Their moves from yesterday says rebuild without really shouting it.

Dubas loves smaller skilled players and so does Pens ownership. Don’t think they will challenge for a cup anytime soon. It’s analytics driven but without the brain of an Eric Tulsky.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

Dubas doesn’t understand the psychology of hockey players because he never played hockey. That is his fundamental problem. He relies completely on analytics but it’s outdated analytics and doesn’t factor in team chemistry, leadership, mental toughness or emotion into the mix all of which are important factors in winning. He ignores the size of players altogether. Simply put he was a very average GM in Toronto.

Reactions: D1az and BallardEra

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Wonder when Pens fans will start to turn on Dubas, that's 2 5'9 5'10 175lbs D men in 3 days he has signed. Aho is a decent puck mover, but is soft and prone to defensive mistakes. 775K is about right for him. He knows there are 2 Sebastian Aho's in the NHL, one is very good, the other not so.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yes!! Thank the lord he isn’t coming back to the islanders. He sucks, defensively, and he isn’t nearly good enough offensively to justify how bad he is defensivel. he uses a stick that is twice his size and it hinders his ability to do things. pens fans Keep your expectations way way low.
Think Isles fans are happy he is gone.

Reactions: Olliemets and SI90

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY

From ownership behind the scenes. "start the rebuild but play dumb and sell them on a re-tool while the big 4 names are still playing so we can sell tickets"

Reality: Rebuild

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Wonder when Pens fans will start to turn on Dubas, that's 2 5'9 5'10 175lbs D men in 3 days he has signed. Aho is a decent puck mover, but is soft and prone to defensive mistakes. 775K is about right for him. He knows there are 2 Sebastian Aho's in the NHL, one is very good, the other not so.
if 775k is about right, what should we turn on dubas for? Its a nothing contract and can be buried in the AHL

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Dubas doesn’t understand the psychology of hockey players because he never played hockey. That is his fundamental problem. He relies completely on analytics but it’s outdated analytics and doesn’t factor in team chemistry, leadership, mental toughness or emotion into the mix all of which are important factors in winning. He ignores the size of players altogether. Simply put he was a very average GM in Toronto.
Dubas wanted to move on from the big 4. Shanahan would not let him do his job.
See what is happening in Toronto right now nothing has changed.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Dubas wanted to move on from the big 4. Shanahan would not let him do his job.
See what is happening in Toronto right now nothing has changed.
Dubas would have traded Nylander or Marner in exchange for undersized prospects and draft picks.

It’s irrelevant now as Marner has a full no trade so it would be a miracle if he agreed to a move. He’d rather rot on the bench than move to a new team. However I don’t see Tre excited to extend him either.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Wonder when Pens fans will start to turn on Dubas.
I am one of the more reasonable of the fanbase... Ussually. I have my moments. :laugh: I don't give him a good grading for his work so far. Probably around a C- if you wanted me to overall grade his work so far. But I will save my real judgement for when his first contract is fully done. Agree or not with their methodology, but FSG got the guy they wanted, and I highly doubt they replace him before the deal they signed him too is done. He will, for better or worse, get to see out this transfer of Crosby to Post-Crosby era's. I will reserve my full judgement. Positive or negative till then. Again though, if you made me give him a "mid term" grading. C-

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

They're "rebuilding" while not completely tearing it down until Crosby and Malkin leave.

Gradual sell-off without trading assets for win-now help, then the team will be nuked once Crosby and Malkin retire in presumably 2026.

Reactions: BallardEra

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad