Prospect Info: Blues 2023-2024 Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Okay, I wrote about the defense yesterday, now onto the forwards!

Simon Robertsson:
Robertsson might have been the most frustrating player at camp for me. He had, by far, the most professional tool set out of all of the forwards in camp. He is deceptively strong in both physicality and on the puck. He seems on the shorter side but has a lot of mass in the lower half. He had great balance and utilized his edge work well. He's not a speedster but does have a strong first few strides and has average agility. His shot is a thing of beauty as the mechanics are fluid and the shot is hard. The only physical aspect of his game that was lacking was his handling of the puck as he would lose possession any time he had to make cuts or was hounded for pressure. Despite that, his one-on-one skill was in a class with Bolduc and Dvorsky. He will apply a press and move his way around a defending player efficiently. When Robertsson is in the slot, there are very few prospects that are more dangerous. However, and this is why he was frustrating, he tries to apply his one-on-one strength in ALL situations. It's the Logan Cooley problem of thinking he can move around 2+ defending players to find his scoring lanes. He needs to utilize his teammates more to find success because he is not MacKinnon no matter how hard he wants to be. In fact, his best plays in the scrimmages were from him passing instead of shooting. He has good vision and patience. He should be able to contribute in all facets of the game but tries to carry the world on his back. Like I said, he's frustrating because I see an NHL player that can contribute in the top-9 if he changes his game to use his one-on-one strengths more organically instead of forcing those plays. Classic tunnel-vision hockey that only works if the player has multiple elite skills. Besides his shot, Robertsson does not have that. Still, I saw plenty to like and have hopes he can be a 20-goal, 40 point contributor with proper guidance and a more humble game.

Prognosis: Top-9 NHL goal scorer or top line AHL scoring winger

Aleksanteri Kaskimaki:
From most frustrating, to the player I had the worst impression of from any of the Blues property. Robertsson's game was frustrating because he was trying to force his game into scenarios that didn't allow for such. But the strengths Robertsson has are at least good enough to find success. Kaskimaki doesn't have that. I said in a brief overview that watching Kaskimaki was like watching a highly skilled player in slow motion. He wishes to create these astounding plays with creativity and finesse. The issue are all his skills are far too slow to allow for those plays unless he was given A LOT of space. For example, he would attempt these beautiful spinning passes across ice to generate scoring opportunities. They did have some success and were cool to watch. The issue was how he needed to slow down tremendously to gain the necessary space to swing the puck around. This wasn't done from quick stop and starts but rather him physically slowing down, or just stopping, when approaching the slot. He can't handle the puck well enough at speed so these attempts are done more to show off than create unpredictable plays. While Robertsson wants to be MacKinnon, Kaskimaki wants to be Kovalev with none of what made Kovalev good. I might be too harsh on Kaskimaki. But trust me when I say that he needs to accept he can't play the way he wants with his average toolset. It doesn't help that he lacks the defensive motivation to make some of his antics tolerable. Kaskimaki has enough skill to be an NHL talent if he can start playing like Sobotka. He has good vision and a good hockey mind. But until he humbles his game, he's not making it.

Prognosis: Career Euro talent

Juraj Pekarcik:
I think this guy has been talked about a lot and for good reason. He will become a fan favorite if he can develop the way I hope he can. His frame made him seem like a man amongst boys. But his speed and edge work made him fly around the ice. His shot was firm and he utilized his body to generate a lot of torque on his stick. His puck movement was simple but he utilized his reach to keep the puck away from defending sticks. All-in-all, he was impressive. He was also incredibly clumsy and awkward. I don't recall him being bad in any particular area besides balance. But everything about his skillset was underdeveloped. He would lose pucks easily, he would fall over with no pressure, he would get caught stuck trying to corral pucks at any speed, he would put himself out of position to hound pucks, etc. All of his skills are there. But he's fresh out the slaughterhouse raw. So raw, in fact, that I couldn't get a read on his hockey IQ. He's a relentless player that will stick to opposing players like glue in order to snag the puck. But I couldn't get a good read on vision, positioning, tempo control, and creativity when he was damn near throwing himself every where on the ice. I think he could model his game after fellow Slovak, Honzek. I see a lot of similarities in frame and skill set. Honzek is just further along in development and has a better understanding of how to use his skills/talent. At the very top-end, I see a good middle-six forward that teams drool over. But even at the low end, I see a more skilled Toropchenko for the bottom-six. Definitely not as fast, but the same aggressive big-body that can be dynamite on the forecheck.

Prognosis: Middle-six power forward

Ivan Vorobyov:
The other talk of the town for the prospects camp was Vorobyov. I've seen a lot of takes on his impressive camp from others on this board and I can't disagree with most of what I read. The only two points I like to add are how he strikes me as a player that is much greater than the sum of his parts due to his offensive intelligence and his elite hand-eye coordination. He didn't have any particular physical tool that made him stand above the others at camp. I'd say his shot and passing strength were above average. But that would be about it. However, when the game starts, he is an offensive catalyst. He was up there with Dvorsky in terms of offensive danger he brought on the ice for team MacInnis. He would generate scoring opportunities at will by drawing attention from defending players or finding passing lanes through coverage. His firm puck movement surely helped. But Vorobyov has a special mind to make Peterson look like an offensive threat. In conjunction with his intelligence, Vorobyov had one skill that stood above all of his peers. He could swat a fly out of the air with a paper clip considering how superb his hand-eye is. The number of pucks he deflected or batted down mid air was eye opening. Definitley a translatable skill at higher levels, albeit a niche one. It's also downright strange too because the weakest aspect of his game, besides defensive engagement, his is handling of the puck. His hands looked like they were made of stone any time he tried receiving a pass. And, as others have pointed out, he likes to cheat in the defensive zone for breakouts. I hope that's because of the nature of 4-on-4/3-on-3 where space is in abundance. If not, then he will need a lot of work to become a contributing NHL player. From what I saw, he might become a Patric Hornqvist like player if he can fix his defensive issues and soften his hands a tad. I saw NHL talent and I am going to be keeping a closer eye on him from here on out.

Prognosis: Top-9 winger or top-6 AHL scorer

Tanner Dickinson:
I'll start this write up by saying that my expectations for Dickinson was different for all of the other prospects. I always thought he had NHL talent because his game at speed is top notch. He surveys the ice and makes every stride seem effortless. His East-West game is the most dangerous in camp as he can circle the wagons better than anyone there. He finds passing lanes and cuts in deep to the slot for shooting opportunities. He's not going to beat many with his shot as it lacks velocity from distance. But it's quick enough to beat goalies if he gets well within the slot. All-in-all, he showed the same talent I saw in him from his draft year. I was curious is if he had to change anything in his game after his long term injury. I didn't see any lingering side-effects to his mobility and puck handling. He didn't seem to have made any improvements since the injury. But I'll take the lack of regression as a positive sign. In that regard, he has met my expectations leaning into this camp. Though, I have no insights into if he can be an NHL contributor. He's pretty much a "top-6 or bust player" as I think his injuries prevent him from taking the bottom-6 unless paired with protection for him to play his game. Unlike Robertsson, who has sneaky strength, what you see of Dickinson is what you get. Probably the best skating Blues prospect that relies on his speed to avoid serious confrontations. The only test that matters will be if he can play at the professional level next year. Stay healthy for the year and I think he can be looking toward a potential top-9 spot. If not, then he joins the Perunovich bus. Talented can't handle the cutthroat game at the highest level.

Prognosis: Top-9, 40 point playmaking winger

Unfortunately, this weekend looks too busy to give all of my write-ups for the forwards. I'll try and add more throughout the weekend when I can. I have a bout 7 more to do. I'm leaving the 1st rounders for last (minus Dean as I don't have any notes on him).

Please ask any questions!

Exceptional analysis on these players! Thanks

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Lindstein’s hands and hockey sense are both way better than Mikkola’s. Mikkola treats the puck like a grenade; Lindstein is a transition machine.

I get the safe vs potential home run preference but I think you’re way underestimating Lindstein.
Maybe i'm crazy, but i'd consider a 29th overall pick becoming a reliable top 4D as a homerun. I think the logic on safe vs risky needs to change at times. Like Robert thomas was labelled "safe" when in reality, he's a top7 pick in a re-draft, i'd call that a homerun at #20, not a safe pick that we settled for "he'll play someday".

And Kostin was high risk high reward that didn't work out. High risk yes, but was klims reward really ever gonna be that high, the mental processing was never there and always what i thought limited him. While Thomas the mental processor was elite. So if having that mental processor is what qualifies you as a safe player, i'll take the safe over the riskier bet 100 out of 100 times. Those are the guys that generally exceed expectations on a consistent basis.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I've been working on putting together the prospect list for polling. There was a bit more prep work than I expected, so I probably won't get the first poll out for a day or two (hosting family this weekend). But after that it should be easy to maintain since I'll have all the info on my spreadsheet.

A few things to mention:
I'll use the following definition of a prospect:
less than 25y old 10/1/23
or
less than 65 games played

For goalies it is:
less than 26y old 10/1/23
or
less than 25 games played

The best I can recall, this is the original definition from Hockeys Future.

Finally, I'm very sad to report that Hugh McGing will not be a prospect this year. Despite only playing in 1 glorious NHL game so far in his career, he'll age out. Let's all make a point of celebrating his birthday on Tuesday. The Blues re-signed him, so good luck to the young (but not young enough) man.

My list of Blues prospects that were not originally Blues draftees is:
Dean
Abramov
Malmstrom
Skinner

Anyone see a player I'm missing in that category?

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Maybe i'm crazy, but i'd consider a 29th overall pick becoming a reliable top 4D as a homerun. I think the logic on safe vs risky needs to change at times. Like Robert thomas was labelled "safe" when in reality, he's a top7 pick in a re-draft, i'd call that a homerun at #20, not a safe pick that we settled for "he'll play someday".

And Kostin was high risk high reward that didn't work out. High risk yes, but was klims reward really ever gonna be that high, the mental processing was never there and always what i thought limited him. While Thomas the mental processor was elite. So if having that mental processor is what qualifies you as a safe player, i'll take the safe over the riskier bet 100 out of 100 times. Those are the guys that generally exceed expectations on a consistent basis.
And in that same draft, the top two picks were safer, 200 foot players who turned out to be a bust and a solid player while a couple picks later the Avs landed the best Dman in the world by taking a home run swing on a guy who took a non traditional junior route. I certainly know who I’d like even if the top three picks turned out fine(though Patrick’s injuries are unfortunate).

• Haha
Reactions: STLegend

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
And in that same draft, the top two picks were safer, 200 foot players who turned out to be a bust and a solid player while a couple picks later the Avs landed the best Dman in the world by taking a home run swing on a guy who took a non traditional junior route. I certainly know who I’d like even if the top three picks turned out fine(though Patrick’s injuries are unfortunate).
I never liked Patrick’s gsme myself and questioned his mental processor a bit as a player, the injuries were crazy too.

Hischiers a really good player and Makar was risky due to the league he was in not based on ability, a little different than taking a high risk high reward toolsy player u know is dumb and hoping the bad instinctual decisions improve. Like klim, mccarrons,Biggs and scherbaks etc…

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Hischier is more than a solid player.
For a number one overall pick? McDavid and Matthews were the previous two number 1OA, Dahlin and Hughes the next two. He’s pretty clearly at the bottom of those five. Makar is on the level of those players and in hindsight should’ve gone 1.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
For a number one overall pick? McDavid and Matthews were the previous two number 1OA, Dahlin and Hughes the next two. He’s pretty clearly at the bottom of those five. Makar is on the level of those players and in hindsight should’ve gone 1.
Hischier just had 80 points in 81 games and finished 2nd in Selke voting. It took him a bit to get to this level. I'd take him over Hall, RNH, Ekblad, Yakupov, and likely over some of the recent #1 picks. He's a legit #1 center that can play in all situations. He's not going to stack up against the top-end #1 picks, but he's better than a lot of other #1 picks. And again, he's more than just a solid player.

And to the actual point, a high-risk/high-reward pick in the top 5/10/15 is dramatically different from a high-risk/high-reward pick at the bottom of the 1st round. The upside is dramatically lower on the back of the 1st round guys, it's not like Gulyayev has Makar upside in him. And the Adam Fox types are unicorns, similar to how Duncan Keith and Shea Weber really weren't high upside guys when they were originally drafted.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Hischier just had 80 points in 81 games and finished 2nd in Selke voting. It took him a bit to get to this level. I'd take him over Hall, RNH, Ekblad, Yakupov, and likely over some of the recent #1 picks. He's a legit #1 center that can play in all situations. He's not going to stack up against the top-end #1 picks, but he's better than a lot of other #1 picks. And again, he's more than just a solid player.

And to the actual point, a high-risk/high-reward pick in the top 5/10/15 is dramatically different from a high-risk/high-reward pick at the bottom of the 1st round. The upside is dramatically lower on the back of the 1st round guys, it's not like Gulyayev has Makar upside in him. And the Adam Fox types are unicorns, similar to how Duncan Keith and Shea Weber really weren't high upside guys when they were originally drafted.
Agreed. And it's not fair to hold Makar or Heiskanen's success against Hischier. He is a helluva player. Would be absolutely thrilled if Dvo hits that level (and he might!).

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Okay, I think it time to finish off my write ups from camp. Especially now that we are voting for the top-20. Besides which, I haven't started talking about what I thought of the cream of the crop.

Jakub Stancl:
But before getting to the best, we should talk about Stancl. Stancl was a player I was sine-waving back-and-forth on. On one one hand, he lacks a lot of offensive tools that leads me to think he will only ever make it in professional hockey as a defense only player. On the other hand, he was really good defensively because of a few physical tools he had and he seemed to be given a lot more offensive chances from the coaching staff. He lacks a lot of what I look for when it comes to offensive tools. His skating is choppy with a lack of explosiveness on the drive or a powerful drive. His stance didn't allow for high maneuverability at speed and he seemed uncomfortable on his edges. His puck handling was too rigid, almost Vorobyov firm when receiving passes or picking up pucks. He keeps his head down far too often for my liking, which only exacerbates his ineffectiveness at puck handling. His shot, specifically the release, was significantly better than the rest of his toolset and I do think it has the potential to be a weapon. But a great shot with lacking supporting tools isn't a big sell for me. Where Stancl shines is when the puck is not on his stick. His gap control and positioning were up[ there with Lindstein in camp. And unlike Linstein, Stancl's frame is more developed, so he becomes a mobile wall on the ice that opposing players just can't work around. Stancl was the progenitor of so many offensive breaks by covering the passing lanes and forcing the opposing player to retreat. He has such a simple yet effective toolkit defensively that I think he can utilize it at higher levels. And his lack of offensive tools now don't seem to bother the coaching staff as Stancl was always on the ice in need-to-score situations, which I find noteworthy. They're probably seeing something that I could never see and I will defer to their expertise more than my own on that. Whatever the case, I don't see an NHL player out of Stancl yet as he will need to develop some kind of offensive toolkit to keep a consistent job at the NHL level. But he's well developed defensively and that might be enough to keep an eye out for him to become a bottom-6 center.

Prognosis: Middle-six AHL defensive center

Andre Heim:
This report should be rather short compared to the others as Heim didn't stand out as much as he should for being the oldest, Blues owned player at camp. He was average to below average across the board when it came to tools. He moves okay but has nothing of note for his skating. His shot is weak as he doesn't make use of his core well enough. He can handle the puck at speed but he doesn't seem to have the vision to make crisp passes on the rush. Honestly, he was one of the more forgetful prospects at camp as I would usually have more fun watching someone else. I won't dismiss the idea that he wasn't trying too hard as he cares more for NHL training camp. But please forgive me in not sounding enthused. Maybe the future will change my tune but I see no NHL ability in Heim.

Prognosis: Bottom-6 AHL winger or Europe bound... again

Dylan Peterson:
Now Peterson is the antithesis of Heim as Peterson was a man you could not ignore no matter how much you want to. The man is Toropchenko like the way he explodes and glides down the ice. His speed is top-end and looks terrifying coming from a man of his build. But unlike Toropchenko, Peterson has some average to above-average puck skills. He can hold on to the puck at top speed and his shot is loud. He knows how to generate torque through his body to make that puck snap off his stick. It's like combining Kostin's puck strength and Toropchenko's skating. Too bad Peterson has no idea what he's doing the majority of the time. Peterson was a player that would do nothing quite loudly. He would charge down the ice only to have no shooting or passing lanes. He would lose the puck every charge he made simply because the defending player would stand in his way. He lacks creativity, smart positioning, patience with the puck, or vision. To many here, he could be the direct mid-point between Torop and Kostin, for better and worse. I would say that his tools alone could find himself in the bottom-6 of an NHL team. But even a 4th liner will need some kind of toolbox unless paired with a player that has an excellent hockey brain. I don't think Peterson is the type of player to spend resources on to make his talents work at higher levels. I don't have high hopes for Peterson until he can develop his positioning and tempo control at the very least. At least then, he can best utilize his fun toolkit.

Prognosis: Bottom-6 AHL forechecking winger (I don't see him working out at center)

Ethan Scardina:
Before getting into the big prospects, I wanted to talk about Scardina as he was probably the only invite in camp that I would hope the Blues look to sign. Scardina was noticeable for one main reason, he was deliberate player. He is 22, so a manner of maturity should be expected, but Scardina epitomized "no-nonesense" in all facets of the camp. He had the best first three steps in the camp as he would rocket himself to top speed. He was calm and agile at speed as he looked quite comfortable on his edges. He utilized his build in his shot so well that he was up there with Stenberg in terms of release and velocity. All-in-all, he just looked damn good. He carried that over to the scrimmages well as he was routinely the line-driver unless paired with Dickinson. I saw a player that had a non-stop motor and enough physical traits to keep his head above water at higher levels. Although, I can't discount his lower numbers at Bowling Green last year. His goal totals made sense given his snap shot. But those are not good numbers for a college junior. Still, I liked what I saw out of Scardina much more than out of Peterson even if Peterson's strengths were much higher end. I think Scardina understands the game significantly better and knows how to play in order to utilize his strengths. I will never look at Scardina as a player I would need to build a line around in order to make work.

Prognosis: Middle-6 AHL goal scorer

Otto Stenberg:
Frankly, I could call if a day by saying how I walked into camp seeing Stenberg as a Steen clone and walked out think the same thing. I'm sure the side-by-side would find differences here and there. But overall, the combo of strong on skates, solid build, firm shot, and excellent reads along the half wall leads me to think Steen every time. Although there is one area of his game that isn't Steen like. Stenberg's release is much quicker and focuses more on finesse than speed. He's more careful with how he handles the puck on wristers and snap shots. I think Blueston said he saw Perron in Stenberg and I think he's right when it comes to the release. But other than the release, Stenberg has a game built on efficacy. He is similar to Scardina where I see a lot of "no-nonsense" hockey in the way he plays the game. His skating isn't as refined as Scardina, so Stenberg takes a bit longer to get to speed. But they wish to make the plays that are necessary as opposed to pretty. The major difference being that Stenberg is much more naturally talented than Scardina. I wouldn't say Stenberg has no creativity as he will survey for passing lanes and attempt some high-reward maneuvers. But I think he will develop into a 50-60 point winger that will play a North-South game focusing on finding the most effective scoring plays. He will balance out two-way play but never an overly safe game if a scoring chance can be created. So again, a Steen clone.

Prognosis: Middle-six, ~50 point two-way NHL winger

Jimmy Snuggerud:
Snuggles was hurt for the majority of what I could see of him from camp. He was favoring his right side a lot throughout drills and the scrimmages. I don't feel justified in giving him a deep dive when his state wasn't normal. Just know that his reach, shot, and positioning were all top notch when on the ice. I think everyone should know who Snuggles is and what he excels at by this point. I see a lot of Buchnevich in Snuggles and I hope he can make a full recovery.

Prognosis: Top-six, 60-70 point two-way NHL winger focused on improving teammates

Zach Bolduc:
Bolduc seemed to be under a lot of scrutiny in recent weeks. I definitely have my own misgivings with what I saw at camp. But I say that under the proviso that Bolduc's talent is clearly above his peers. Bolduc made every drill and exercise look easy. His shot is clean with lots of velocity. His movement with the puck is effortless. He his skating is fluid if lacking explosive speed. But his East-West game is full of creativity. He is a threat every time he's in the offensive zone. It is gratifying seeing him discover his game and what kind of threat he wants to be in the offensive zone. But, translation concerns are still heavily present with him. He has the greatest offensive profile out of all of the prospects the Blues have due to his vision, shot, and creativity in the offensive zone. But he was a player that spent the first few scrimmages either trying to do too much or trying to sneak his way into quiet areas of the ice for lanes. Most of the time, these plays ended in the puck going the other way. I totally understood why fans were becoming disappointed with him at camp. His plays were either elfish or far too complicated to work at higher levels of hockey. It seemed like all he had to do was focus more on establishing cycles and/or keep the plays between him and the opposing net. Well, he did just that on day four of the camp and, what do you know, he played his best hockey while looking like a dominant force when given the puck. I genuinely like Bolduc and want to give him the benefit of the doubt. I want to believe that his play was him trying to show off for the staff and him looking towards the pro camp. I want to believe him because his profile is high end and I think his strengths will lead to success if developed correctly. But that's dependent on whether his strengths are high end compared to pros, not his peers. Either that, or he will have to overhaul his entire defensive game to stay a net positive on the ice. The truest definition of a boom-bust prospect. But one that hasn't disappointed thus far.

Prognosis: Boom-bust, top-six, goal scoring winger (question is, top-six in what league?)

Dalibor Dvorsky:
I probably heard Dvorsky referred to as, "The Golden Boy" at least 10 times at the camp. He was the player that every fan was looking at whenevr he was on the ice. Sure, hype for being the highest drafted forward the Blues have selected since 1988 had something to do with it. But in a more real sense, it was because his overall talent was the best in the camp. Bolduc might have a higher offensive profile than Dvorsky, but Dvorsky is not far behind in any area that Bolduc has an edge on him. Watching Dvorksy's Steen like shot was a sight to behold as it took off from his blade faster than I could blink. His East-West cuts always kept the defending players on their heels. Combing these cuts with his frame and superb balance meant that no defending player was taking the puck from Dvorsky when he gained possession. His speed is nothing elite. But he is fast and should have no trouble separating himself when he's at top speed. However, if there is one area that Dvorsky shone brightest to me, it was the way he moved the puck. Similar to Buchinger, Dvorsky keeps the puck in tight to minimize movement in the upper body. It's efficient and allows him to keep his head up whenever he gains possession. In fact, I don't think I ever saw him look down at the puck. That's no hyperbole. I don't remember him ever keeping his head down so as to not lose track of where the puck was. And he would do this while in heavy coverage. Dvorsky would always challenge defending players to the point where he would routinely have 3+ players covering him. But Dvorsky would come away with possession more times than not becasue his head was up and he could maintain proper gap control. He wasn't Logan Cooley, i.e. trying to walk through coverage. He was Kopitar-like where he challenges the coverage in order to create space that his teammates can utilize for cycle plays. It's ballsy but effective hockey that walked the line between what a player can and can't do at the NHL level. It would only work given the way Dvorsky handles himself and the puck. That area alone made me believe the Blues have found a special talent. He has a toolkit that's above-average to elite across the board. I think the skating weaknesses are more refinement issues than anything as his skating is fine. Similar to Stenberg in that it's geared towards effectiveness than style. After watching him live, I think the Blues found a two-way beast that could become a consistent PPG threat in the Kopitar mold. If Blues fans want any solace in the past year, then Dvorsky is just that.

Prognosis: Top-six, two-way NHL centerman able to hit PPG numbers consistently.

I hope that covers everything. Like I said in a previous post, I couldn't get anything of Dean because of his absence. Other than that, the only ones I left off were those who didn't interest me, the goalies, and anyone else that couldn't attend. If you would like questions on any players I did not write down, I can give you my thoughts on them. I still wrote notes on everyone there.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Pekarcik signed with dubuque in ushl. he was 2nd overall pick in chl import draft by acadie-bathurst, but apparently he and blues feel that ushl is better development path for him.

Is there some workaround for getting him into another league after the USHL? Seems strange to forego the CHL unless there is some other next step.

Reactions: OSA

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Is there some workaround for getting him into another league after the USHL? Seems strange to forego the CHL unless there is some other next step.
Hard to say but maybe he has an eye on college hockey? He played most of last season in Slovak pro leagues but as long as he did it on a Jr contract and not a pro contract, he should still be NCAA eligible.

Or it could just be that the Titan are absolutely horrible and Dubuque is a well run franchise.

Some friends here in Iowa who are from the Dubuque area will certainly be happy.

Reactions: Celtic Note

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Pekarcik signed with dubuque in ushl. he was 2nd overall pick in chl import draft by acadie-bathurst, but apparently he and blues feel that ushl is better development path for him.

Don't know if it's solely Pekarcik's preference to go to Dubuque (maybe he wants to go the NCAA-route?) or if it's partially inspired by what the Blues are thinking the best path for him will be, but it's worth noting that the Blues have some recent experience with Acadie-Bathurst as Marc-Andre Gaudet played for them for a while, so they know the people, the facilities, etc. It could very well be that the Blues thought Acadie-Bathurst might not be the best place for Pekarcik's development.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Hard to say but maybe he has an eye on college hockey? He played most of last season in Slovak pro leagues but as long as he did it on a Jr contract and not a pro contract, he should still be NCAA eligible.

Or it could just be that the Titan are absolutely horrible and Dubuque is a well run franchise.

Some friends here in Iowa who are from the Dubuque area will certainly be happy.
He indeed was on a junior contract, meaning he looks to be still NCAA eligible. Maybe he plays a year in the USHL then goes to College. Although based on his play style and speed I don’t think he would be out of place in college hockey this upcoming season. But none the less, USHL it is

Reactions: STL fan in MN

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
He indeed was on a junior contract, meaning he looks to be still NCAA eligible. Maybe he plays a year in the USHL then goes to College. Although based on his play style and speed I don’t think he would be out of place in college hockey this upcoming season. But none the less, USHL it is
He may not be ready academically or maybe he want to emerge in Eniglish before going to college. Or maybe the team felt they could work with him more in the USHL.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Both Dvorsky (16) and Snuggerud (23) made Wheelers list of top 50 drafted prospects. Bolduc, Neighbours and Stenberg ( edit - and Dean!) made the HMs, but that is somewhat diluted by the fact there was like 30+ honorable mentions. Regardless, nice for the team to have two guys in the top half, including your recent top 10 pick. I pulled a snippet from his Dvorsky write-up because I think it encapsulates a lot of how I feel about Dvorsky re: the "safe" label that got attached to him around the draft, but he said it in a more eloquent way than I have been able to:

"His gifts in control of the puck are real (I actually found it weird that he became cast as a high-floor 200-foot player as his draft year progressed, because while his energy and detail are certainly strengths, I see legitimate finesse skills, point-production upside and power-play tools). He can run the wall or the point on the PP, effortlessly picking coverage apart and feathering pucks through seams. He’s got excellent touch and weight on his passes (he’s a great saucer passer off of his forehand and backhand, in particular), and does a beautiful job waiting for lanes to open. He trusts his one-timer and his wrister from midrange. He’s got quick hands and instincts, with standout puck control and shading — and he uses them to take pucks to the middle."

Last edited:

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Scott Wheeler of the Athletic posted his top-50 NHL Owned Prospects.

Dalibor Dvorsky ranked 16th and Jimmy Snuggerud ranked 23rd. They were the only two Blues ranked. Both ranked higher than players like Guenther, Eklund, and Mintyukov. Wheeler has nothing but high things to say about Dvorsky and how his game really elevated throughout the year. He saw a lot of what I saw regarding his offensive tools. He agrees with me that his offensive make-up is much closer to PPG levels than what he was labelled at. Snuggles was praised for showing his skill more loudly than when he was on the USNDT.

Can't say I agree with everything on the list (Cutter Gauthier is ranked far too highly) but it's a fun read nonetheless.

Reactions: Stealth JD

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Both Dvorsky (16) and Snuggerud (23) made Wheelers list of top 50 drafted prospects. Bolduc, Neighbours and Stenberg made the HMs, but that is somewhat diluted by the fact there was like 30+ honorable mentions. Regardless, nice for the team to have two guys in the top half, including your recent top 10 pick. I pulled a snippet from his Dvorsky write-up because I think it encapsulates a lot of how I feel about Dvorsky re: the "safe" label that got attached to him around the draft, but he said it in a more eloquent way than I have been able to:

"His gifts in control of the puck are real (I actually found it weird that he became cast as a high-floor 200-foot player as his draft year progressed, because while his energy and detail are certainly strengths, I see legitimate finesse skills, point-production upside and power-play tools). He can run the wall or the point on the PP, effortlessly picking coverage apart and feathering pucks through seams. He’s got excellent touch and weight on his passes (he’s a great saucer passer off of his forehand and backhand, in particular), and does a beautiful job waiting for lanes to open. He trusts his one-timer and his wrister from midrange. He’s got quick hands and instincts, with standout puck control and shading — and he uses them to take pucks to the middle."
Dean was also listed in the honorable mentions. But there were 77 HMs…

Still, 2 in the top-50 and then another 4 somewhere in the top-125ish is quite good.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
It is really 2 in the top 30. Which is great. Last time we had this was Kyrou and Thomas

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
He may not be ready academically or maybe he want to emerge in Eniglish before going to college. Or maybe the team felt they could work with him more in the USHL.

I'd think that on some level the USHL may be better for Pekarcik - playing 62 regular season games will give him a better chance to adapt to the North American game without the NCAA academic standards and keeps the college door open. He's also eligible to move to the CHL later whereas the converse wouldn't be true if he went to the QJMHL.

I really like the NCAA model and support the extra time in the weight room for some players. But only getting 32-40 games in a season when trying to acclimate to North American living, college academics and adjusting to North American play vs international surface space and time doesn't strike me as the best next step for a 3rd round pick we are unlikely to see sniffing NHL regular action in the next 3-5 years. Give him options for choosing the best fit developmentally - there aren't overwhelming expectations for a 3rd rounder compared to those on a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad