LeBrun: Blue Jackets rejected to trade 2024 4OA for Chicago's 2025 1st round pick unprotected

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Duckesh

Jul 20, 2021
4OA for... hope for something like 4OA next year?

I'd trade 4OA, in a vacuum, for unprotected 1st 2025 + 2nd 2024 + 3rd 2025.

There's a chance you are trading 4OA for 12-15th overall and a year later.

Reactions: HabsQC

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
There's a saying in french that says something like "One that you get is better than two you will get", excuse me for litteral translation, but it means you're better to take what you can get for sure now than hope to get better when you aren't certain of it

Reactions: Viqsi

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
There's a saying in french that says something like "One that you get is better than two you will get", excuse me for litteral translation, but it means you're better to take what you can get for sure now than hope to get better when you aren't certain of it
There is also an American saying as well.

A Bird in hand is better than a bird in the bush.

Same meaning as the French version.

• Love
Reactions: HabsQC

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
If the Hawks finished with 23(!!) more points (10+win improvement) they still would have had the 5th spot pre-lottery.

The Hawks were in last place in the league for half the season until the Sharks traded everyone.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
4OA for... hope for something like 4OA next year?

I'd trade 4OA, in a vacuum, for unprotected 1st 2025 + 2nd 2024 + 3rd 2025.

There's a chance you are trading 4OA for 12-15th overall and a year later.

Not worth it

Columbus needs players that can produce sooner than later

& they’ve had enough picks

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I get the whole a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush approach but that pick will definitely be high again, and the centers in next year's draft are better than this years imo
How high though? Chicago could finish around ten. You never know with a player like Bedard on the team.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Im surprised this thread still has much attention. I think the trade would have been stupid but I wonder how drastically it changed Davidson's plans

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Bedard could absolutely get 90+ points next year but that doesn't prevent the other team from scoring. Unfortunately for Bedard he can only be on the ice so much and even when he is on his defensive game is currently really bad.

He’s not even close to that type of player. This isn’t the NBA.
I disagree. A star player could absolutely transform a team from bottom 5 to 12 last.

Yes, this isn't the NBA, where a star can drag a team to a championship. But we're not talking about winning a championship.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I disagree. A star player could absolutely transform a team from bottom 5 to 12 last.

Yes, this isn't the NBA, where a star can drag a team to a championship. But we're not talking about winning a championship.
the only hope they have is if a goalie becomes unconscious and goes .930 for a full season. When Seth Jones or Taylor Hall is your Robin, it doesn’t matter who your Batman is.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
No way the Hawks finish out of drafting top 10 next year. Way too many holes on the team.

This could have given Columbus two lottery eligible high 1st picks for 2025 (if they don't do well in the standings), you get to double that dice roll.

While I understand Columbus turning it down, I wouldn't have done so for Lindstrom. Then again, if I was Kyle Davidson I'd have drafted Demidov first then went for Levshunov.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
No way the Hawks finish out of drafting top 10 next year. Way too many holes on the team.

This could have given Columbus two lottery eligible high 1st picks for 2025 (if they don't do well in the standings), you get to double that dice roll.

While I understand Columbus turning it down, I wouldn't have done so for Lindstrom. Then again, if I was Kyle Davidson I'd have drafted Demidov first then went for Levshunov.

I'm pretty sure CBJ management said Lindstrom was #2 on their list only behind Celebrini. In any case they got a player they really wanted. Makes no sense to take a gamble in that case, unless you are 100% convinced the next year's draft is gonna be so deep at the top even a 5OA or something would net them a better player. Even then CBJ have abundance of prospects if anything and want to start getting better. Also Chicago would've had all incentive to start patching those holes in an aggressive manner.

So it really comes off as a high risk with most likely a neglible, if any, reward.

Reactions: Viqsi

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I'm pretty sure CBJ management said Lindstrom was #2 on their list only behind Celebrini. In any case they got a player they really wanted. Makes no sense to take a gamble in that case, unless you are 100% convinced the next year's draft is gonna be so deep at the top even a 5OA or something would net them a better player. Even then CBJ have abundance of prospects if anything and want to start getting better. Also Chicago would've had all incentive to start patching those holes in an aggressive manner.

So it really comes off as a high risk with most likely a neglible, if any, reward.
A power forward with back issues at 18 is a much bigger risk than Chicago's pick somehow only being seventh overall or something of that sort.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
A power forward with back issues at 18 is a much bigger risk than Chicago's pick somehow only being seventh overall or something of that sort.
Okay cool.

Can we shut this thread down? It "almost" happened but it didn't.

Jackets fans are happy with what we got.

/Conversation.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2