LeBrun: Blue Jackets rejected to trade 2024 4OA for Chicago's 2025 1st round pick unprotected

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
As a Blackhawks fan, Im kinda happy they turned it down.

The Hawks are still gonna be bad next year, and the draft seems deeper overall.

I imagine this was a play for Demidov?

Reactions: HabzSauce

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Sure chicago is almost certainly awful next year. But by trading their pick they would be actively incentivized to win as much as possible. Just the act of chicago trading away that 1st devalues it
True, but they would be attempting to do so with Peter Mrazek as their #1 goalie... which would be absolutely adorable!

All jokes aside, this is a team that finished last in the NHL in goals last season, and 29th in goals against

I think I'd feel pretty good about betting on Chicago to pick in the top 3 again next season, so if the other pick being offered was #18, I think I'd have taken that if I were Columbus

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Chicago would've came out the draft with Levshunov + Demidov

Then gone ham in free agency with all of their cap space, and that 1st round pick wouldn't have been worth a whole lot

Columbus saw right through them

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Assuming Chicago was circling back for Demidov (should have picked him at 2 to begin with) and this was our own pick Columbus would be insane to turn this down. Chicago has at least one more year left in the basement and the odds of them getting them getting a top 5 pick in 2025 plus everything else was high. Guess they finally felt bad about hosing us in trades.
The last time we had such a chance at a lottery pick with Chicago, it got us Cole Sillinger. I think I'd rather have Lindstrom.

Reactions: Fro

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Columbus made the right choice. I couldn't pass up on Lindstrom.
Oh there's a fair portion of our fanbase who is immediately calling him a bust due to the back and we wasted this year's pick. Go look at our reddit its unreal how many people hate this pick.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
This is like the NBA. So Chicago wanted a swap… so what puck were they giving Columbus. Swaps are big in the NBA but there’s always value on top of it. This trade is pointless for Columbus without value attached

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
Chicago shoulda ponied up to CBJ instead of that trade with NYI. If they woulda went Lindstrom and he hit potential that would be one of the nastiest punches down the middle maybe ever. That’s with walking away with the best Dman too

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
Smart move by Columbus. Bedard looks like the real deal. If you look at some of the higher end 1st overall picks of the past (McDavid, Sid and Kane) they make the playoffs their 2nd year.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Wasn’t worth the risk. Knowing the jackets luck chicago probably makes the playoffs if they make that trade. Or they finish 10th or something and somehow move down two spots

Reactions: CBJx614

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
Do like what Chicago was trying to do though. Get as much high end talent around the same age to grow with Bedard is smart business.

Would like to hear the full trade offer. What is posted and not knowing what the “additional pick” was, hard time seeing anyone accept the offer unless it was very meaningful.

Yeah they could possibly get a higher draft pick with Chicsgo’s next year, but it could also backfire in a pretty epic way as well.

Better to take what is there than risk that.
I get it and would have liked it...but then what Blackhawks ended up doing at 18 and 27 doesnt make any f***ing sense as neither will play with Bedard and are more likely 3rd and 4th line type players. Just a flat terrible draft by the Blackhawks

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Chicago's ability to acquire free agents will always be good- original six, great city, ect. Add in Bedard and boatloads of cap space, and it's reasonable that the moment they're ready, they'll likely get 3-4 blue chip free agents.

Say they sign Zadorov, Lindholm, Marchessault, and a couple quality bottom six guys are added July 1. Perhaps Levshunov steps into their third pairing, and Lindstrom/Demidov is in the top 6 with Bedard. Trade for Askarov.

Foligno-Bedard-Marchessault
Hall-Lindholm-Athansou
Mikyhev-Reichel-Nazar

Vlasic-Jones
Korchinski-Murphy
Zadorov-Levshunov

Now that 1/8 chance of Hagens and 1/4 chance of a top 5 pick is more like 1/20 and 1/12. Maybe worse.

Reactions: HawksDub89

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
As a Blackhawks fan, Im kinda happy they turned it down.

The Hawks are still gonna be bad next year, and the draft seems deeper overall.

I imagine this was a play for Demidov?
The Hawks should have drafted Demidov first and then make the offer for Levshunov. Thanks to the Jackets to reject the offer and drafted Lindstrom which allow Demidov to fall to our lap.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Stupid offer

Who'd want to gamble a 4th pick on a Hawks unprotected 2025 pick, when they are clearly going to be extremely aggressively adding pieces around Bedard. Hell, Bedard alone might carry that team to pick around #11-14 next year. Oilers went from 70p to 103p on McDavids second year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad