Blue Bombers 2022 Season Thread - Stunning Loss. Dynasty Interrupted. 2023 awaits.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
That was a weird game, but almost starting to expect it at this point with the way the Bombers play up and down to their opponents. Felt like Bombers defensive line had pressure a lot of the time, but no contain, which made Jeffcoat's absence very obvious - that and the secondary continues to play 8-10yds off the line of scrimmage and are always backing up on snap, which often made 1st-and-10s into 2nd-and-2 or less a lot of times, yet still somehow held on to allow no TDs against again. It befuddles me, but this is the Elks of all teams, and we certainly can't give better teams a script on how to beat the defence and keep the Bombers offence off the field for extended periods of time.

On that note of the Bombers offence, even though Collaros went 7/16 for 2 TDs and 2 INTs, he probably could've had another 2 TDs with the miss on Schoen in the 1st quarter and the INT at the beginning of the 4th where Agudosi had his guy beat but Collaros' arm got hit as he threw. Funny how Ellingson is out for one game and he abandons the short-passing game almost entirely, lol. I thought Buck would've used this game to build up the confidence of Oliveira and Bailey a bit more by getting it to them more frequently, but never ran the ball consistently and Collaros kept finding the deep guys open, I guess.

After 2 must-watch games vs BC and CGY and having to endure this EDM game, it's back to a must-watch against a more-rested CGY team. Almost feels like a loss is finally coming but maybe the Bombers defence can get to Bo again like they did in Week 6.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Game Thoughts

Offense
No one can argue that was good. 7/16 total passes. Wow. If you didn't watch it, it'd be impossible to guess a win for a CFL QB putting up those numbers. Overall the O was mediocre at best. Oliveira did have his season best game with 13 for 62. But there's not like there was a some running game that saved that. The OL dominated but Collaros struggled to find receivers and the running game was middle of the road. Luckily everything the did find was deep. Schoen continue his Rookie of the Year season with 4 catches for 146 yards, albeit on 9 targets. It was rough on O.

Defense
Yards but no points. It has been the Bombers MO since day 1 and it continues. They have been shutting down opponants despite being in the bottom third of the league in almost every category. They didn't even take advantage of many turnovers in this one, they just didn't allow points. Love seeing some fairly unheralded players like Deatrick Nichols (best DB in CFL, IMO), Les Maruo (Global from Japan), LB Mack (very young rookie), Cameron Lawson (young Canadian, youngest player on roster), etc making some great plays. Overall a mediocre effort, but prevented points so it's all good.

ST
Not much of note here. Liegghio going perfect on XP probably most note worthy thing. To be fair Carter was a joke on returns so no real challenge.

It honestly felt like a game where the Bombers didn't want to reveal anything. They played basically a pre-season set most the game, still preparing to face Calgary coming off a bye next week. Got the win and that's all that matters. I think we probably suffer our first loss of the season next week and that's largely ok.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
So very true, and if my memory serves me right, I think Edmonton used to get 60,000 at some games at Commonwealth. Also look at all the empty seats in Toronto, like they get 12 -14,000 fans in. That is pathetic.

As much as some people are trying desperately to keep the CFL alive, there just is not the interest in this league anymore ? It's been slowly dwindling down to the ashes over the last 15 years, and I'm surprised it's still operating, and owners are willing to bite the bullet and swallow the tab. It won't go on for long.

They need to put people in the seats, and now with the NHL in most cities, the NFL down south, basketball and baseball in Toronto, plus major league soccer, I question whether this league will be around much longer. I don't think so.

Thru the 1950's and 1960's the CFL for Canadians was basically the only game in town, but things have changed. It's a mater of time now.
Aside from SK and Wpg the CFL is on life support which really is sad

Reactions: GNP

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Weird game, honestly pretty boring too. The time of possession was brutal. Also annoying when a QB that I could outperform if I have a good breakfast in Cornelius was continuously converting 2nd and longs against our butter soft zone defence, but again, they didn’t sniff the end zone so you take that all day.

Bombers are down a shitload of impact starters and honestly felt like they were just going through the motions and preparing for next week, so nothing to be concerned about. We got the W so who cares.

We likely drop to 7-1 next week though. Too many injuries, shitass schedule (playing another team coming off a bye), it’s in Calgary, and they’ll be pissed after last week. If the Bombers can win that I’ll be REALLY impressed, but in any case, a loss and some adversity isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

So very true, and if my memory serves me right, I think Edmonton used to get 60,000 at some games at Commonwealth. Also look at all the empty seats in Toronto, like they get 12 -14,000 fans in. That is pathetic.

As much as some people are trying desperately to keep the CFL alive, there just is not the interest in this league anymore ? It's been slowly dwindling down to the ashes over the last 15 years, and I'm surprised it's still operating, and owners are willing to bite the bullet and swallow the tab. It won't go on for long.

They need to put people in the seats, and now with the NHL in most cities, the NFL down south, basketball and baseball in Toronto, plus major league soccer, I question whether this league will be around much longer. I don't think so.

Thru the 1950's and 1960's the CFL for Canadians was basically the only game in town, but things have changed. It's a mater of time now.
Hard to blame them. The Elks are a bigger disaster than the Arizona Coyotes.

Reactions: Fairview

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006

Kids under 12 are free now. That's how desperate the Elks are to get bums in seats. The name change along with being a bad team really soured the fan base there.

Reactions: GNP

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB

Looked like there were more Bomber fans in the stadium than Elks fans.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
So Toronto went for a 61 yard field goal and missed, Saskatchewan returned it for a TD and still lost.
Sask didn’t deserve to win. Toronto just makes so many mistakes. Harris is a beast, I have a feeling come playoff time in cold weather we are going to miss him and it may cost us in the end.
Bombers just keep winning but are one loss away from being in third, Wild West.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
The Bombers haven't looked great, but good enough to win. BC has shown glimpses, haven't seen much of Calgary, but does any team really stand out this year? We could have easily lost a few of the ones we won as well.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Calgary and Winnipeg are the obvious cream of the crop this year. BC are pretenders, Sask is mediocre and literally everyone else sucks

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Sask didn’t deserve to win. Toronto just makes so many mistakes. Harris is a beast, I have a feeling come playoff time in cold weather we are going to miss him and it may cost us in the end.
Bombers just keep winning but are one loss away from being in third, Wild West.

I mean thats not really true. 7-1 is better than 5-1.

I think its quite possible the Bombers enter Labour Day at 10-1. @ cgy, @ mtl , vs MTL, Bye vs CGY. They are doing just enough to win week after week. Its awesome.

Last edited:

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
That was a weird game, but almost starting to expect it at this point with the way the Bombers play up and down to their opponents. Felt like Bombers defensive line had pressure a lot of the time, but no contain, which made Jeffcoat's absence very obvious - that and the secondary continues to play 8-10yds off the line of scrimmage and are always backing up on snap, which often made 1st-and-10s into 2nd-and-2 or less a lot of times, yet still somehow held on to allow no TDs against again. It befuddles me, but this is the Elks of all teams, and we certainly can't give better teams a script on how to beat the defence and keep the Bombers offence off the field for extended periods of time.

On that note of the Bombers offence, even though Collaros went 7/16 for 2 TDs and 2 INTs, he probably could've had another 2 TDs with the miss on Schoen in the 1st quarter and the INT at the beginning of the 4th where Agudosi had his guy beat but Collaros' arm got hit as he threw. Funny how Ellingson is out for one game and he abandons the short-passing game almost entirely, lol. I thought Buck would've used this game to build up the confidence of Oliveira and Bailey a bit more by getting it to them more frequently, but never ran the ball consistently and Collaros kept finding the deep guys open, I guess.

After 2 must-watch games vs BC and CGY and having to endure this EDM game, it's back to a must-watch against a more-rested CGY team. Almost feels like a loss is finally coming but maybe the Bombers defence can get to Bo again like they did in Week 6.
Buck has given Olivera plenty of chances. There are only 6 PLAYERS (not just running backs) in the CFL top 50 runners with a lower running average in the league. Buck has been a saint with his patience with the run game.

Reactions: roccerfeller

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
The Elks are just plain stupid. Taylor Cornelius is your QB and you put the entire game on his shoulders. 57/62 offensive plays were either thrown or run by him. Talk about putting your team in a position to lose. Hamilton (with a much better qb) has the same issue. Both these coordinators play like they are starting offensive drives at 2nd and long in the NFL.

Clearly I'm not an Olivera fan but I still see the value in having a run game in football. The Bombers have a very good QB and he only threw/ran on 16/37 plays this week. I hope one of our RBs starts to figure it out and rewards Buck for his patience. A run game in the CFL is always important.

Reactions: roccerfeller

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Calgary and Winnipeg are the obvious cream of the crop this year. BC are pretenders, Sask is mediocre and literally everyone else sucks
Call me cynical and pessimistic but I suspect there are influential people in the league that view an Argos Grey Cup win as being the best thing for the CFL. I'm going to call shenanigans in advance.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Call me cynical and pessimistic but I suspect there are influential people in the league that view an Argos Grey Cup win as being the best thing for the CFL. I'm going to call shenanigans in advance.
Ohhhhh shit! Are we going to give them Collaros for a bad back up QB, an average kicker and a draft pick?

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
injury update on the last game..concerned about the injury to new receiver agudosa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad