Blue Bombers 2022 Season Thread - Stunning Loss. Dynasty Interrupted. 2023 awaits.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Nice 2nd half for the Bombers tonight, still need some fine tunning in some areas.
They got the run going a bit, and string together a couple of nice drives. Even our kicking looked decent!

Hamilton's run game was putrid, and it seemed like Evans threw more balls away than he had actual pass attempts.

Bombers are moving in the right direction.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
In close games going into halftime or coming out into the 2nd half like these pre-2018, I would always remember the Bombers yucking it up by being super, super conservative in their play calling and coverage, and games quickly got out of hand and couldn’t catch up because they had no momentum. Clearly a championship mentality that even with their slow starts to the season that they have a killer instinct in these moments that now set them apart from other teams.

Nevertheless, as a pure emotional fan, I expect nothing less than perfection, and as such, I need Collaros to get into rhythm faster, Pierce to call more plays that get their RBs outside the hashmarks, and Hall to not drop his DBs into 10yd zones on 2nd and 5’s. But I think this WR group is underrated, the defensive line is still stalwart, and special teams don’t make critical mistakes at inopportune times. 3-0 is a good place to be.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I just wanna repost that "they were who we thought they were" Cardinals coach GIF repeatedly after this one. This played out nearly how you would expect, despite the up and down conditions albeit the conditions seemed to stay pretty decent (hard to judge from the stands we are well protected where we sit). Dane Evans continues to struggle with any pressure, Ham OL continues to struggle, both teams continue to struggle running the ball, Bombers played more soft D but don't give up points. Gun to my head this is nearly exactly how I would have predicted this game, not something you can say very often with the unpredictability of football.

Offense
Another very up and down game. Nice to see Zach get up above that 300 yard barrier. They really started to find the crossers, and corners that has characterized this team with Demski and Bailey getting involved FINALLY. Hope Demski is OK, but I thought O'Leary-Orange stepped in and filled his shoes adequately in limited time. The OL held up pretty solid against a decent DL in Hamilton. The OL was finally at times controlling that line of scrimmage giving some free running lanes, but overall it was another somewhat underwhelming game from Oliveira. They did manage to mix in some Jet Sweeps, Off-Tackles, that kept the D guessing a little more which opened some more holes. I still want to see more out of Oliveira, or more opportunity for Augustine though. Effective use of play action early, but they shied away from it later as the D stop biting due to the relative ineffectiveness in the run game. I thought Dobson had a really rough outing in his first career game, struggled as the 6th OL as the TE in a few situations. There's no instant answers along the OL, we need to trust in the development of Gray and Kolankowski. And overall it was a better game from the OL group.

Defense
Another typical Richie Hall game. Willing to give up the soft yards over the middle of the field, preventing the big play. Let the DL feast. The sack total was low (1?) but Dane Evans was feeling the footsteps early and often. And as we saw he doesn't like that at all. The nice thing is they did that with very few additional rushers. Very little blitzing that I saw. Donald Rutledge Jr is the standout among that DB crew, IMO. He was all over the field, particularly early. This guy is a keeper. They need some more weapons in the DB corps though, they were clearly throwing away from Nichols all game. Would love to see Glass or Taylor step up on the other side. DL was effective, nice to see Willie finally get his game going. Even beyond the INT, he was showing that incredible reach and bend off the edge. Rotating Hansen around really gives them a new dynamic again, IMO. Hansen isn't a big sack guy, but I love the versatility and drive he brings there.

ST
Liegghio had a solid night. You can really see him develop as a punter. He had some blasts out there. A few were straight line drives which was a little frustrating, but his placement on those punts spread all over the field forced Hamilton into moving two players back as returners which eliminated the block threat. As a kicker he made everything, even if he had a scare with the post on another XP. IIRC they passed up on a 52-54 yarder so his top end is still a question mark, but hitting under 50 is what's needed and no misses. Grant is just a hair away from finding that edge and itll come. I think the coverage teams looked better this game.

Overall hard to complain at 3-0. And they haven't really found their stride yet. The offense has yet to crack 20 points. The defense has really only made the one big play all year so far (Willie TD). The ST haven't made a noticeable impact yet. This is a veteran team just taking care of business that hasn't really been challenged too much to date. All the things you'd expect to find early. It's a LONG season, but all you can do is beat the team lining up against you and they've done it. Let's keep it going.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
The Bombers are now 20-1 with Collaros. That is uncanny.

Maybe I’ve been too hard on the Bombers; between Hamilton taking Evans over (the admittedly washed) Masoli, and Suckskatchewan choosing Fajardo over Collaros, it appears we aren’t the only team in this league that doesn’t have a clue how to scout/evaluate QB talent.

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I for one am not unhappy.

159-1594687_the-new-shakespeare-cool-pictures-of-shakespeare.png

Let not Bomber’s ragged starts deface,
Thy sweet three and oh summer, ere thou be distilled:
Make sweet some vial; treasure thou some place
With highest expectation ere it be self-killed.
Augustine’s use is not forbidden usury,
Which happies those that pay the willing loan;
That’s for Jefferson to breed another D-borne TD,
Or ten times happier, be it ten for one;
Ten times thyself were happier than Leigghio art,
If Collaros ten times refigured wins for thee:
Then what could death do if he shouldst depart,
Leaving thee living in posterity?
Bombers be not self-willed, for thou art much too fair
Seek the slow and steady conquest and make the Cup thine heir.

Last edited:

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
I for one am not unhappy.

159-1594687_the-new-shakespeare-cool-pictures-of-shakespeare.png

Let not Bomber’s ragged starts deface,
Thy sweet three and oh summer, ere thou be distilled:
Make sweet some vial; treasure thou some place
With highest expectation ere it be self-killed.
Augustine’s use is not forbidden usury,
Which happies those that pay the willing loan;
That’s for Jefferson to breed another D-borne TD,
Or ten times happier, be it ten for one;
Ten times thyself were happier than Leigghio art,
If Collaros ten times refigured wins for thee:
Then what could death do if he shouldst depart,
Leaving thee living in posterity?
Bombers be not self-willed, for thou art much too fair
Seek the slow and steady conquest and make the Cup thine heir.
The Bombers have been more worthy of your iambic pentameter labour than the Jets then last few years... Good to see you post in this thread! :nod:

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
The Bombers are now 20-1 with Collaros. That is uncanny.

Maybe I’ve been too hard on the Bombers; between Hamilton taking Evans over (the admittedly washed) Masoli, and Suckskatchewan choosing Fajardo over Collaros, it appears we aren’t the only team in this league that doesn’t have a clue how to scout/evaluate QB talent.
That's absolutely insane. Especially for the cfl

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Stamps match the Bombers at 3-0. Not an overly impressive game for Calgary against the hapless Elks, but a solid squad that knows how to win. They are going to have to figure how to play in a 1st half though, every single game this year they've been down 10 or more points at one point.

Real interested to watch the late one. Harris is back in for Toronto, be interesting to see if he can play a whole game. The injuries have really started to bite him over the past 12 months. And of course time to see who these Lions and Nathan "Air Canada" Rourke are. Toronto isn't a bad team, probably not a great one. At least we'll get to see how BC is against a better team.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Nathan Rourke is legit. He looks cool, composed, has accuracy and strength on his balls. He might draw NFL interest this off-season at this rate. He just turned 24 years old last month. He hasn't even used it, but at Ohio he was a star as a rushing QB as well. Loving this for the story. BC is not going to be the also ran they were predicted to be.

Last edited:

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Nathan Rourke is legit. He looks cool, composed, has accuracy and strength on his balls. He might draw NFL interest this off-season at this rate. He just turned 24 years old last month. He hasn't even used it, but at Ohio he was a star as a rushing QB as well. Loving this for the story. BC is not going to be the also ran they were predicted to be.
Remember when that was the book on Dane Evans...

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Yeah, Rourke was meh in the two games he played last year. Hard not to see the potential in his game right now but I’d pump the brakes on drawing NFL interest — I wanna see if he has similar success against better teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fairview

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

That was never the book on Evans. Ive never been impressed with Evans to be honest. Evans has always been completely immobile for one thing. And obviously cant handle pressure, never could. Calm and composed has never described Evans.

Yeah obviously Rourke needs to keep playing well. But its impossible to not be super impressed with him so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: FonRiesen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad