Blue Bombers 2022 Season Thread - Stunning Loss. Dynasty Interrupted. 2023 awaits.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Ugly win, but they all count.

The offense is going to need to fit some more creativity. And struggled to deal with the blitzing from Ottawa all night. Oliveira looked downright plodding out there unfortunately. Augustine had a flash or two of speed, but did not get much play time. They weren't adjusting to the blitz, hard to say the OL did bad when it was 6/7v5 lots of the night. Ellingson was good, Schoen was solid. Collaros wasn't finding much to the rest. Collaros looked fine I guess, but just had trouble moving the ball. How about the story of Dru Brown though!

Defense was a mixed bag. At one end they only allowed 17 points. It wasn't goalline stands either or turnovers, really, Ottawa just wasn't get their yards consistently. But the secondary looked off. Rose was still banged up, IMO, he was really missing a step. I don't think it's age with him yet. Glass didn't have much of night. The loss of Alexander looms big. Thompson is a poor man's Taylor Loffler, IMO. He'll be fine, but he really struggles in coverage. But in reality he's the 3rd string safety so you can't expect much. Nichols and Taylor were fine though I thought. Kyrie Wilson and Donald Rutledge Jr were the standouts on D. Great debut for Rutledge, made quite a few plays out there, even got rewarded with that sack on the perfectly timed blitz. DL wasn't great. I thought Wilcotts outplayed Mack by a fair margin though, and in less snaps as well. Will be an interesting decision when Jeffcoat returns who stays on roster.

Special teams were again not great. I know it worked out but fumbling a snap on a FG is just sloppy. Liegghio of course missed the PAT. As soon as that missed I said, this game will 100% come down to Liegghio FG attempt. Just glad it was so short thanks to the late game heroics by Dru Brown. Liegghio shanked one punt, but still ended with a better net average than his counterpart who is a punter only (Leone). Grant was fine, nothing special tonight.

Overall they need to and will play better than tonight. But in the end good teams find ways to win even when they aren't playing well. Bombers did that.
Darn good assessment! I agree about Oliveira. Is he playing ahead of Augustine because he's local? Later on in this thread you mention that Oliveira is a better blocker than Augustine.....well, if last night's blocking was any indication, we (Bombers) could be in trouble.

Reactions: Stumbledore

bustamente

Fraud Supporter
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Yes the running game was not very good but the line play was pretty poor too which is very surprising considering that they all returned with the exception of Derjarlais

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
I'm putting this game more on the Coordinators (Buck Pierce and Richie Hall) than I am some of the players, though Winston Rose will certainly also draw some of my ire for all the times he bit on short passes and got blown up over his head. But this game plan looked woefully unprepared for the updated field and the revamped Redblacks.

Pierce needs to learn more from the LaPolice school of "using RBs outside of I formations" and use significantly more swings and dump-offs to ease some of the pressure of their opponent always loading up the box, especially with these tighter hashmarks. Luckily Collaros is still one of the best CFL QBs in being able to sidestep some of the pressure he was facing to make some good throws down the stretch (though he struggled for consistency early in the game - there was definitely a play or two where Zach was trying to force it long in double coverage but missed the wide-open crosser in shorter yardage), but he was bootlegging it almost every passing play. Augustine is definitely the better pure runner, but I do like Oliveira in pass blocking and coming out of the backfield too. Buck needs to get some more designed plays in so Collaros isn't trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat every series.

(Scary look for Collaros going headfirst, but thank god for Benevides deciding to go extremely soft coverage when Dru Brown entered the game to try and force the QB to beat him in passes - terrible call and Brown torched him that series rather easily for the win.)

Hall is relying on his difference-makers on defence to make a difference, and they almost didn't do it last night. LaPolice schooled him the entire night and honestly Ottawa should've had 10 more points if it wasn't for that egregious end to the 1st Half in not calling a time out and a few dropped passes - but outside of 2 or 3 series, Masoli was moving in 7-15yd bunches with ease, and had some awesome timing with Darvin Adams. Again - luckily, the key players did in fact make the difference when it mattered, but that secondary in both schemes and personnel is worrisome.

Bombers are still a very good team, but certainly not the guaranteed locks that they were in 2019 and 2021 when they were simply a Collaros (QB) and a Castillo (K) away from being undoubtedly the best. Will be a lot tighter in the CFL this year, I think.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Edmonton is dreadful. BC likely a shit team again this year and they’re destroying the Elks.

Reactions: Fairview

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Alot of talk about how Bombers aren't going to be that good this year. I think it's far too early for that talk. They didn't come out like gangbusters last year either.
Week 1: Ham 6 at Wpg 19 - Scored just 5 points in the second half. A strong defensive game obviously.
Week 2: Tor 7 at Wpg 20 - Was 10-7 going in to the 4th quarter.
Week 3: Wpg 23 at Tor 30 - Lost to a Nick Arbuckle led Argos team
Week 4: Cgy 16 at Wpg 18 - A 45 yarder from Marc Liegghio with 37 seconds left put them ahead and Parades had a rare miss from 52 yards with zeroes on the clock to seal this win.

At that point of the team this didn't look like a dominating force yet. It really started on Labour day with a 23-8 beatdown of the Riders and the follow up 33-9 Banjo Bowl win and started rolling from there. I remember at the time there were serious concerns at DB, K, RB and we just weren't sure yet what the Bombers would be. So we'll see but I think the talk of the Bombers being done as a dominant force is a little early. They might and hell probably won't be the dominant force we saw in 2021, but I still think this is a real solid group.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Alot of talk about how Bombers aren't going to be that good this year. I think it's far too early for that talk. They didn't come out like gangbusters last year either.
Week 1: Ham 6 at Wpg 19 - Scored just 5 points in the second half. A strong defensive game obviously.
Week 2: Tor 7 at Wpg 20 - Was 10-7 going in to the 4th quarter.
Week 3: Wpg 23 at Tor 30 - Lost to a Nick Arbuckle led Argos team
Week 4: Cgy 16 at Wpg 18 - A 45 yarder from Marc Liegghio with 37 seconds left put them ahead and Parades had a rare miss from 52 yards with zeroes on the clock to seal this win.

At that point of the team this didn't look like a dominating force yet. It really started on Labour day with a 23-8 beatdown of the Riders and the follow up 33-9 Banjo Bowl win and started rolling from there. I remember at the time there were serious concerns at DB, K, RB and we just weren't sure yet what the Bombers would be. So we'll see but I think the talk of the Bombers being done as a dominant force is a little early. They might and hell probably won't be the dominant force we saw in 2021, but I still think this is a real solid group.
I think what we need to see is how Richie Hall adjusts to the new hash marks... it looks like its a lot harder for LB and DL to drop back now - most teams will end up having to load the box on most plays. Hall has always been willing to give up big plays but he also relies a lot on his linebacking core to support the DBs - not sure if that still works.

Buck really needs to establish a run game outside... I was really surprised at the lack of sweeps. The one flea flicker to Oliveira turned into a really nice gain.

I dont see anything that was really concerning - Masoli has always lit up Hall's D but doesn't seem to win against them very often.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I think some people really disrespected Harris and everything he brought to the team not only running but the passing game and blocking. Thinking these two magic beans would be somehow replace him was foolhardy. Young and unproven isn't always better than a track record of being one of the best in the CFL.

I'm just not seeing it with Olivera. He's not super fast and his vision to see the hole or another layer is not good. Most times he is handed the ball he stops moving behind the offensive line to try and find a hole. If he can't figure out how to hit the line with any speed he can't be on the team.

I do feel Augustine is superior to Olivera. Hope he get the chance to be the #1RB next game. He's no where near Harris but at least he has more to give with his speed.

I wonder if the Bombers will step away from the Canadian RB strategy by Labor Day. RB is just too important of a position to have dead weight at and too important strategically for Collaros heath to ignore.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
So if prukop's six gamed does the salary come off the books and we can sign a place kicker?

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
So if prukop's six gamed does the salary come off the books and we can sign a place kicker?
Frees up the salary, yes but then we basically have to cut legggio once he comes off. It probably won't happen unless they have another Ace like Castillo lined up

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

They added 6'4" 215lbs QB Joe Mancusco is an obviously related move. Doubt we save very much at all as I dont think Prukop is making much. Probably bigger savings was Mercy Maston replaced by Donald Rutledge.

Theres no other kickers out there unless they wanna adjust their ratio with an american rookie, which is pretty tough when anyone decent probably trying to hand around available like Harjullarhu is (who they probably can't afford).

Frees up the salary, yes but then we basically have to cut legggio once he comes off. It probably won't happen unless they have another Ace like Castillo lined up
Liegghio is turning into a pretty decent punter, he wouldnt be released, imo.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I think some people really disrespected Harris and everything he brought to the team not only running but the passing game and blocking. Thinking these two magic beans would be somehow replace him was foolhardy. Young and unproven isn't always better than a track record of being one of the best in the CFL.

I'm just not seeing it with Olivera. He's not super fast and his vision to see the hole or another layer is not good. Most times he is handed the ball he stops moving behind the offensive line to try and find a hole. If he can't figure out how to hit the line with any speed he can't be on the team.

I do feel Augustine is superior to Olivera. Hope he get the chance to be the #1RB next game. He's no where near Harris but at least he has more to give with his speed.

I wonder if the Bombers will step away from the Canadian RB strategy by Labor Day. RB is just too important of a position to have dead weight at and too important strategically for Collaros heath to ignore.

Bombers aren't going to going to an American at RB. Besides no one they sign off the street will be better than what they got.

It's not about disrespecting Harris. He was a great player. Maybe still is. This team doesn't turn around the way it did without him.

But Oliveria is still one of the youngest RBs in the league. It took Harris awhile to figure things out consistently at CFL. Same thing were seeing here. Hes shown flashes with a couple 100 yard games last year. Hell get there. And Augustine is so explosive. Id agree Augustine will be the starter soon. But the Bombers will be fine at RB.

The more concering spots are DB, WR, and K, IMO.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Bombers aren't going to going to an American at RB. Besides no one they sign off the street will be better than what they got.

It's not about disrespecting Harris. He was a great player. Maybe still is. This team doesn't turn around the way it did without him.

But Oliveria is still one of the youngest RBs in the league. It took Harris awhile to figure things out consistently at CFL. Same thing were seeing here. Hes shown flashes with a couple 100 yard games last year. Hell get there. And Augustine is so explosive. Id agree Augustine will be the starter soon. But the Bombers will be fine at RB.

The more concering spots are DB, WR, and K, IMO.
American running backs are a dime a dozen.

there was a lot of disrespect for Harris. The thought that an Olivera/Augustine tandem could replace or near replace him is a mountain of proof of that. To be fair some of that is a mind set of Magic Beans>proven talent.

This is the CFL not the NHL. A player who will be good enough in 3 years doesn’t have a lot of value especially in a key position like RB. If this is the kind of output we can expect out of our RBs then just pack it in because they won’t be going anywhere.

Collaros is 33, there is no waiting. He’s here to win but he can’t do it without a running game. If we are going to be expecting him to drop back and throw 30-40 times a game he will get killed.

a good running game makes issues with receivers and DBs less important with ball control. It’s what we have relied on with Harris here and won Championships.

If Walters is going to be so hard headed about trotting these two out all year like you believe with little success then we need a new GM because he is clearly lost. I have my doubts he will tolerate it though.

Last edited:

Ad

Ad

Ad