Bleacher Report blogger says that Toronto no longer appeals to free agents, not considered a winning organization

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
History is irrelevant when you're talking about something that happened decades ago in a conversation centered around the present point of view of players.
Sure I don't disagree, I just bring up history when someone wants to shit talk the Leafs and mentions 1967. So I then respond either historical facts that they don't mention, you know since they are so interested in history. Just giving them a wider view.

Reactions: Hippasus

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Sure I don't disagree, I just bring up history when someone wants to shit talk the Leafs and mentions 1967. So I then respond either historical facts that they don't mention, you know since they are so interested in history. Just giving them a wider view.
Fair enough

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Except I never mentioned the press. Everyone wants to talk history except when it's pointed out that historically toronto has the 2nd most cups, then history is irrelevant.

With respect, what are you talking about?

You responded to my post, which makes no mention of the press at all, by saying "Except I never mentioned the press." Cool. I never mentioned the press either.

I think you meant to respond to someone else.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I think it's pretty fair for fans of teams that weren't in the league 1967 to not really care about the success that came before.

The Maple Leafs haven't played a game in the Stanley Cup Final since 1967. So really, any bragging should be restricted to other Original Six teams, and Red Wings, Bruins, Rangers, Hawks and Canadiens fans have all seen their team hoist the Cup since then, so it's kind of a hollow brag at that point, and it gets even sillier if you want to shit talk, say, a Nashville Predators fan about what your team did in the 1940's.
This

to be honest I don't really care about any cup before the dead puck era, its basically ancient history 3 generations of players have come and gone in that time frame. ( yes even my beloved Oilers 5 cups don't mean much to me.) It was such a different game back then that it can't be compared to today. Also really, people who are arguing that "my team has a cup" or " recently won a cup" ring hollow to me, they didn't win the cup, the players did, its their accomplishment, not yours.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Except I never mentioned the press. Everyone wants to talk history except when it's pointed out that historically toronto has the 2nd most cups, then history is irrelevant.
Two things can be true at the same time:

!. The Leafs have the second most cups.

2. The last time they touched the ice in a Final I was 17. I'm now 75.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He's got his facts wrong.

He's probably referring to the capital gains inclusion rate but his numbers are completely wrong and regardless, they are not compatible to one's salary/business income.
Ya was just uninformed, or didn’t listen to what 66% was about, or read something on social media, and took it as fact.

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
With respect, what are you talking about?

You responded to my post, which makes no mention of the press at all, by saying "Except I never mentioned the press." Cool. I never mentioned the press either.

I think you meant to respond to someone else.
Auto correct meant to say Predators

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Definitely not it though.

I get the healthcare portion, but Canada taxes its people to hell. Where does that money to compared to say the USA
Hard to say, look at Florida, friend pays 4x the amount in property tax and house insurance than I.
Some states are the same as Canada in taxes, with no healthcare.

Reactions: Michel Beauchamp

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
. Also really, people who are arguing that "my team has a cup" or " recently won a cup" ring hollow to me, they didn't win the cup, the players did, its their accomplishment, not yours.
Bite your tongue. I was an integral part of the Penguins winning their Cups. If it weren't for me cheering them on from my couch in front of the TV, they'd have never had the energy to win.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I know this is just the all purpose Leaf bad thread for the offseason, but the OP never said what the title said.

But most importantly, not sure what metric people can use for that. Leafs attract free agents every offseason. They aren't signing big fish because they don't have the cap for it. That doesn't make them a poor destination.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Where? A quick google search returned the usual suspects in the top 10, Zurich, Monaco, Geneva, NYC, San Francisco, LA, Paris, London, etc. even in the top 100 lists I found, I didn’t see Canadian cities cracking the top 50 very often.

I know they’re expensive for Canada. I’m just not sure they’re expensive among NHL markets. My guess would be, kinda average.
You are 100% correct. I live in London & Dubai (back and forth for work). Housing prices on either city make Vancouver and Toronto seem cheap. A decent town house in the inner city of London is 6 to 8 million CDN.

Dubai has no taxes but if you have two kids expect to pay 80k to 100k CDN a year for a half way decent school. A small box of strawberries costs $20.

I go to Zurich regularly as well. A döner kebab at the food truck outside our office cost $22.00.

Tokyo, Moscow, Paris, Singapore, Shanghai, Geneva, Hong Kong, New York, LA & San Francisco are all blisteringly expensive.

Mercer does a cost of living list for international workers. It only has Toronto in the top 100 at 92.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I know this is just the all purpose Leaf bad thread for the offseason, but the OP never said what the title said.
Maybe read OP again, as it looks like OP quoted a video link, that says that, and provided a time stamp to listen to it, but I didn’t listen to it, to see if actually discussed.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Maybe read OP again, as it looks like OP quoted a video link, that says that, and provided a time stamp to listen to it, but I didn’t listen to it, to see if actually discussed.

Take a listen for yourself then before telling me I am wrong

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Bleacher Report is still breathing? This seems like an article to drip up ad revenue, their likely only saving grace at this point.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Take a listen for yourself then before telling me I am wrong
I never said you were wrong, I said re-read the OP.

Looks like original post is similar to title, to me, look at the 2 quotes , OP and your’s and the bolded sections below.

If you want to say OP was wrong, and it’s not in the video, then fine, but what I said, was not wrong.

Wnat OP is talking about is covered in the title.

Chris Johnston also provided insight into Skinner’s decision, saying that Toronto no longer appeals to free agents with the franchise not considered a winning organization across the league.

Do you agree or disagree? I also saw an article the other day on why Stamkos rejected to sign with Toronto this summer.

Starts at 27:32

More in detail here.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I never said you were wrong, I said re-read the OP.

Looks like original post is similar to title, to me, look at the 2 quotes , OP and your’s and the bolded sections below.

If you want to say OP was wrong, and it’s not in the video, then fine, but what I said, was not wrong.

Wnat OP is talking about is covered in the title.

He never said those words

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

KeziaTML

Apr 29, 2010
Calgary, AB
It's amazing how much non fans care about our success (or lack of). Ya'll need to go touch some grass. Hockey isn't that serious.

Johnny Rifle

Pittsburgh Penguins
Apr 7, 2018
Hampton, VA
I expected to see this thread to be a lot of Toronto and Canada bashing. Glad I was wrong.

I would not personally want to live in Canada for reasons beyond the scope of this thread, but Toronto is a lovely city with great people when I visited.

I think that the best explanation for the Leafs' lack of success is the simplest, bad luck. MLSE is not exactly a shining example of great ownership, but they are no worse than many teams that have won multiple championships. It takes a culmination of good players, good management, and good coaching, and the Leafs haven't had all three at the same time as of late.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
They didn't.

They did sign Chris Tanev, a veteran defenseman with a lot of miles on him to a six year contract that starts two months before his 35th birthday though.
Lock up Tanev till he's 41. haha!

It's amazing how much non fans care about our success (or lack of). Ya'll need to go touch some grass. Hockey isn't that serious.
It's funny how many Oiler and Hab bashing leafs fans say that .......

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3