Bleacher Report blogger says that Toronto no longer appeals to free agents, not considered a winning organization

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Lock up Tanev till he's 41. haha!

It's funny how may Oiler and Hab bashing leafs fans say that .......
I can understand how a leafs fan would say hockey isint that serious ( on a hockey message board nonetheless ) when they havent won since 1967 :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: PaulD

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
Lock up Tanev till he's 41. haha!

It's funny how may Oiler and Hab bashing leafs fans say that .......
Looking forward to the habs missing the playoffs yet again. I remember habs fans used to insist that their very smart fanbase would "never tolerate not winning the cup every few years". 30+ years and counting.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
“Weird dude hung up on his ex says she’s not even that hot anymore, is too extra.”

They aren’t wrong, it’s just a media obsession more than anything else, so it’s a bit weird to me. Like, ya, we all see them failing to get free agents and go on playoff runs- that isn’t news. “Buffalo isn’t the most popular destination” wouldn’t be a story, but with Toronto everything is. Idk, I’d just feel dumb making a point of this, but somehow this thread keeps going so idk. Ragebait.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Looking forward to the habs missing the playoffs yet again. I remember habs fans used to insist that their very smart fanbase would "never tolerate not winning the cup every few years". 30+ years and counting.
You can't chirp us , the best player in your franchises history got clamped by Phil Danault in a bo7 , just stop it :laugh: . There's levels to the chirp game , you are not in a position to do so

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I can see it for multiple reasons, for starters, being a hockey star in Toronto is a completely different feel than being a star in Florida, Anaheim, or whatever. There's way too much pressure from the fans and the media, so if a player enjoys that kind of pressure, I can see them enjoying playing in Toronto. Granted, I suspect most players don't enjoy that kind of pressure. The other thing is money, can't speak for all US cities, but odds are you're paying more income tax playing in Toronto.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

Yup lol. Approaching the point no active NHL players will remember their last cup win but chirp a drought.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
I can see it for multiple reasons, for starters, being a hockey star in Toronto is a completely different feel than being a star in Florida, Anaheim, or whatever. There's way too much pressure from the fans and the media, so if a player enjoys that kind of pressure, I can see them enjoying playing in Toronto. Granted, I suspect most players don't enjoy that kind of pressure. The other thing is money, can't speak for all US cities, but odds are you're paying more income tax playing in Toronto.
People keep saying there is pressure, but what actual pressure is there? This team has two decades of two different types of abysmal failures, what exactly has happened to the people involved? Not much really, they all got paid a ton while sucking (in different ways).

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
People keep saying there is pressure, but what actual pressure is there? This team has two decades of two different types of abysmal failures, what exactly has happened to the people involved? Not much really, they all got paid a ton while sucking (in different ways).

The fans and the media are not very forgiving in Toronto land. I've lived around that area and lived in other big US cities where hockey markets are supposed to be big. There's no comparison, hockey in Toronto and I suspect the rest of Canada hits a very different level than it does in the US.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The fans and the media are not very forgiving in Toronto land. I've lived around that area and lived in other big US cities where hockey markets are supposed to be big. There's no comparison, hockey in Toronto and I suspect the rest of Canada hits a very different level than it does in the US.
The thing though is it's not actually pressure. It's media and fan annoyance and sometimes it goes over the line where shit gets personal and too close. Athletes just don't want to deal with that stuff. It's not because they can't handle it, it's because it's dumb and they don't have to.

The Leafs have a total country club atmosphere where the stars get to do whatever they want and upper management doesn't have to be accountable (see Shanaplan). It's been like this for a long long time.

Playing a game at Scotiabank isn't a bigger deal than most other places in the league. The arena is quiet. This isn't Yankees stadium or Fenway where you have to rise to the occasion those places really are different than many others around the league.

Reactions: Michel Beauchamp

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
“Weird dude hung up on his ex says she’s not even that hot anymore, is too extra.”

They aren’t wrong, it’s just a media obsession more than anything else, so it’s a bit weird to me. Like, ya, we all see them failing to get free agents and go on playoff runs- that isn’t news. “Buffalo isn’t the most popular destination” wouldn’t be a story, but with Toronto everything is. Idk, I’d just feel dumb making a point of this, but somehow this thread keeps going so idk. Ragebait.
The reason it is still a thing, and will continue to be is what is known as the illusory truth effect. This is the tendency to believe false information to be correct after repeatedly being exposed to that false information.

The Leafs fans have been told by the media that every superstar player that grew up in the GTA wants to, and will eventually play for the Leafs, even though that is very rarely the case. it happens no more frequently than BC kids wanting to play in Vancouver or prairie kids wanting to play in Winnipeg, Edmonton or Calgary, it just so happens that there are more kids from Ontario than anywhere else. so it appears to happen more.

So when information like this comes out, it becomes a big story as it contradicts the lies that have been fed to the Leafs fans. Those fans struggle to comprehend that a "good ol' Terana boy" would choose to sign somewhere else when the garbage Toronto media starts pumping out pictures of him as kid wearing his Tie Domi or Mats Sundin jersey to feed Leafs fandom and make them believe that this player will inevitably become a Maple Leaf.

In short, the media in Toronto is atrocious and they feed this illusory truth effect solely to generate clicks and views to their own content.

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm going to need more then a bleacher report blogger before I buy that.

I also don't think Jeff Skinner choosing to play with Mcdavid is a sign of that either.

The Leafs don't seem to have issues recruiting players.

Tavares
Brodie
ROR
Foligno
Marleau
Tanev
OEL
McCabe

Sure there are a couple rentals there but all these guys and more had either full or partial control over where they went and they all chose to come here, I don't see a case to be made for Toronto having trouble attracting players.

as long as Matthews is a Leaf they won't

Ever heard that number, but heard speculation

I missed that entirely then because I never even heard the speculation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad