Bleacher Report blogger says that Toronto no longer appeals to free agents, not considered a winning organization

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Dodged the question, they were rich before and spent money. Money isn’t the issue, as has been proven in the past.
Oddly enough, Toronto was rarely in the top 5 in total player salary between 1989 and 2004. In that time period, they didn't even spend above league average until 1994-1995 when they went 500K above. The highest they were in team salaries was third (2000-2001), which I believe was also their most successful season in that time period. I'm not sure their success in free agency during those years because, well, I really don't want to put more time into research for this than I have already.

But spending among the top 3 most money doesn't translate into winning a Cup most seasons pre-cap either. The poster said that only NYR could outbid Toronto if there were no cap. I don't think that solves the playoffs problem for the Leafs.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
He passed away 34 years ago

Point being they weren't always a rich team.

While money doesn't guarantee success it gives a team the best chance of succeeding. The Leafs biggest issue right now is the salary cap. Having too large a percentage wrapped up in four players. If there were no cap those contracts wouldn't be an issue.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021

While money doesn't guarantee success it gives a team the best chance of succeeding. The Leafs biggest issue right now is the salary cap. Having too large a percentage wrapped up in four players. If there were no cap those contracts wouldn't be an issue.
Every contending team's biggest issue is the salary cap

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

And how is that different from most legitimate contending team ?

Reactions: SheldonJPlankton

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Better than most refers the past 10 years regular season. If we want to talk historically, well the Leafs still have more cups wins than most or does history only count after that magical year of 1967?
Facts - I use them, you either cherry pick or disregard them.

I think it's pretty fair for fans of teams that weren't in the league 1967 to not really care about the success that came before.

The Maple Leafs haven't played a game in the Stanley Cup Final since 1967. So really, any bragging should be restricted to other Original Six teams, and Red Wings, Bruins, Rangers, Hawks and Canadiens fans have all seen their team hoist the Cup since then, so it's kind of a hollow brag at that point, and it gets even sillier if you want to shit talk, say, a Nashville Predators fan about what your team did in the 1940's.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
All it would take is one deep playoff run for the toxicity to go away. Not even cup finals just conference finals. Show some kind of spark for the fans and media. The media is so toxic because they've pumped this teams tires for god knows how many years and they keep losing early. Wears on you.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
A country with harsh winters needs to spend a lot of money on taking care of the streets at least.

Definitely not it though.

I get the healthcare portion, but Canada taxes its people to hell. Where does that money to compared to say the USA

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Definitely not it though.

I get the healthcare portion, but Canada taxes its people to hell. Where does that money to compared to say the USA
Well, taxes don't really increase the government's money, when you look at the way taxes work.

I mean, money circulates, it doesn't come out of thin air when collected as taxes.

At least in Finland that also has high taxes and welfare system, the problem is that a large amount of the money is spent on inefficient structures that don't generate a profit internationally. For example, paper stampers and such that give tens of thousands of "jobs" but those jobs aren't productive, so they just circulate meaningless money.

USA is a lot more focused on increasing value and productive work. You look at companies like Microsoft, Apple, Nvidia and whatever, these all bring money to USA from other countries, they're not just empty "jobs" that function as pointless and meaningless money circulation systems within the country's borders.

Unfortunately, with many of these countries with significant public sectors, the focus is on "jobs" and "welfare" within the country without focusing on increasing the actual country's import-export ratio, so Finland, too, is tacking on 10-20 billion in debt every year and cannot currently stop it. There are jobs, but they serve no purpose beyond meaninglessly circulating money from person to person until the system collapses(probably within 5 years).

Enga Olly

May 26, 2021
I think it's pretty fair for fans of teams that weren't in the league 1967 to not really care about the success that came before.

The Maple Leafs haven't played a game in the Stanley Cup Final since 1967. So really, any bragging should be restricted to other Original Six teams, and Red Wings, Bruins, Rangers, Hawks and Canadiens fans have all seen their team hoist the Cup since then, so it's kind of a hollow brag at that point, and it gets even sillier if you want to shit talk, say, a Nashville Predators fan about what your team did in the 1940's.
Except I never mentioned the press. Everyone wants to talk history except when it's pointed out that historically toronto has the 2nd most cups, then history is irrelevant.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Except I never mentioned the press. Everyone wants to talk history except when it's pointed out that historically toronto has the 2nd most cups, then history is irrelevant.

Yes, that’s a historic fact. But what does it really mean to anyone that wasn’t even close to being born in 1967? It means nothing. It’s just a fact, but nothing worth bragging about since most fans have never seen those Cups. The last time they won I was still 18 years away from even being born. Who cares about those cups? Only if you’re like 70 years old and watched them win some.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad