Confirmed with Link: Blashill Gone!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
4 of the best 6 teams in the NHL are in our division. Anyone expecting playoffs should only blame themselves, and are the reason why teams rush rebuilds and ultimately end up doing things wrong. Striving for mediocrity is never the answer.
4 of the best 6 teams in the NHL, points wise, are in our division because the other four teams are Buffalo, Montreal, Detroit, and Ottawa. Split those teams into the other divisions and two of them don't hit 100 points.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Ok, I guess let's just never sign any free agents? Wings have to spend 18 million just to hit the floor.

Trocheck has consistently produced at a 50-60 point clip playing on two very good teams that play very different systems. He's also under 30. He's about as far from Nielson as you can get.
Strawman fallacy much?

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Strawman fallacy much?
Since you are literally refuting every single recommended move that's not "tank into eternity", it's not really a straw man.

As I said before, this roster is too good to have a legit shot at getting top-2 picks. You either start moving up or stagnate at this point. Praying for picks isn't going to cut it.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Bonk

May 18, 2007
Cincinnati
Haven't watched a lot of Detroit games the past couple of seasons but I'm a big Blashill fan (he helped build some of Miami University's best teams in the 2000s through recruiting).

The talent obviously wasn't there, so to those cheering his dismissal: What specifically were his shortcomings with the Red Wings?

Reactions: RabidBadger and TKB

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Since you are literally refuting every single recommended move that's not "tank into eternity", it's not really a straw man.

As I said before, this roster is too good to have a legit shot at getting top-2 picks. You either start moving up or stagnate at this point. Praying for picks isn't going to cut it.
Also not true. I haven't given any suggestions on whom to go after in FA. Those moves you made make us a little bit better than bad and handcuff us in the short term for better options out there.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Poor Blash, got some of the worst rosters you could ever imagine in the modern era and still decided to coach this talentless bunch of leftovers. That's gotta hurt for him never having a chance with a decent roster and tanking his reputation as a result.

With that said, the way the team played after the good first half was definitely strange. It's hard to know if that was the personnel on defense, the goalies, or the coaching, or all of the above. When you watch the games, the structure of the team and the way they can't seem to find each other for breakouts and the multitude of odd-man rushes given has got to be related to the coaching. I don't think Blashill is as bad as most people think, but it's also hard to find positives about what he has done, so it's tough to argue against the popular opinion.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I figure they go after someone young and cheap and then fire him in 3-4 years and replace him with an experienced coach. Assuming the Wings have drafted their core over the next 3-4 drafts.

This roster will get a quality coach when it actually deserves one.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I figure they go after someone young and cheap and then fire him in 3-4 years and replace him with an experienced coach. Assuming the Wings have drafted their core over the next 3-4 drafts.

This roster will get a quality coach when it actually deserves one.
Pretty sure they already have their core drafted. Zero chance we are like this for 3-4 years. Larkin and Bert are pretty much hitting their primes now unless he doesnt see them in the future. The amount of cap space and roster spots available also doesnt make sense either. We have a couple young studs and i don't think he wants to waste Larkins best years which are going to be the next 3-4 years. He also named Larkin the captain and Larkin wants to play in the playoffs. Why not give him some more talent to play with they certainly can afford it. Larkin can easily ask Yzerman what he intends on doing because it may factor in on him staying after next year and also his contract.

Reactions: FMichael

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
4 of the best 6 teams in the NHL are in our division. Anyone expecting playoffs should only blame themselves, and are the reason why teams rush rebuilds and ultimately end up doing things wrong. Striving for mediocrity is never the answer.
I'm not saying rush the rebuild but we have our core and now we need players to fill in the open holes. I doubt he is gonna sign a bunch of plugs this time around. There is ample cap space and some bright spots on the team. This is the perfect opportunity to make huge changes.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Right. Just make sure you are ready to keep expectations in check when people start blaming the next coach for the results instead of being patient. That’s all I’m saying. This group of people and the fan base in general don’t do well being asked to wait

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
We may yet.
If Stevie doesn't get a #2C and #1G and #1LD, we're a bottom 10 team.

New coach or not, add a key injury or two to a bottom 10 team, and you're in the hunt for #1 overall.
I just dont understand how everyone says no chance for playoffs next year. Vegas was an expansion team that made the finals in their first year. There is so many holes on the team that Yzerman has some what of an upper hand. Lots of spots open and lots of money to spend. Your a free agent and your agent says Yzerman wants to talk most guys are gonna listen. He could easily say, ya we had a rough year but its always been the plan, we have some core guys now that are legit players, we are bringing in a new coaching staff, we have a brand new rink and training. faciity. Now Detroit has a bit of an appeal again. So many picks the last few years and free signings that he just weeds through the players he wants. How many players are signed for 2023? Like none. You think he is gonna ice a bunch of trash to save money? All these rookies coming in are on ELC's he is gonna use that to his advantage to sign better players to surround them with.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
4 of the best 6 teams in the NHL, points wise, are in our division because the other four teams are Buffalo, Montreal, Detroit, and Ottawa. Split those teams into the other divisions and two of them don't hit 100 points.

This is an opinion, not a fact. It's literally just as legitimate for me to say: "4 of the bottom 9 teams, points wise, are in our division because the other four teams arr Florida, Tampa, Toronto, and Boston. Split those teams into the other divisions and two of the others reach 83+ points."

Flawed one-sided arguments aside, all four of those juggernauts in our division are legitimately VERY good. Does anyone seriously believe that Pittsburgh, Calgary, Edmonton, and Minnesota, and Shesterkin singlehandedly (aka "the Rangers") are better than Tampa or Boston? You'd lose me with such an argument.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Haven't watched a lot of Detroit games the past couple of seasons but I'm a big Blashill fan (he helped build some of Miami University's best teams in the 2000s through recruiting).

The talent obviously wasn't there, so to those cheering his dismissal: What specifically were his shortcomings with the Red Wings?
The team as a whole for the past few seasons had looked disinterested, and unprepared...On any given night a well coached AHL squad would've given the Red Wings a hard time.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Guys that loved losing for ever and a perpetual rebuild will be very upset.

Yzerland is having a bad time watching his HOF coach get fired...

Wave of moves coming imo. We'll all have to sit back and see what happens!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad