Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks Re-Sign Marcus Kruger (2 years / 1.325 AAV)

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Are we really going to criticize Kruger's offense when he started like 70% of his shifts in his own zone? Too lazy to look up the actual numbers on how greatly that effects point totals, but when Brandon Pirri is getting 65% OZ starts and putting up some points, it doesn't mean he's some god while Kruger has no offensive talent. Its really hard to score when you start so far away from where the puck needs to go

How are Kane's hands? I've seen him **** that up plenty of times.

I base Kruger's lack of offensive game on observation of what he does with the puck in the O-zone. I see no slick stickhandling, certainly not a big shot, just not many offensive instincts/skills, regardless of where his shifts start or end.

It's funny that someone indicated that play was demonstrative of Kruger's good hands when it actually supports exactly the opposite.

Kane screw some of them up? Yup, Sharp screw some of them up? Yup. But there's also plenty of evidence of them finishing a whole bunch of 'em. Kruger?

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Are you kidding me? Good hands roofs that backhander, he was fortunate the Bruins didn't backcheck hard enough.

I base Kruger's lack of offensive game on observation of what he does with the puck in the O-zone. I see no slick stickhandling, certainly not a big shot, just not many offensive instincts/skills, regardless of where his shifts start or end.

It's funny that someone indicated that play was demonstrative of Kruger's good hands when it actually supports exactly the opposite.

Kane screw some of them up? Yup, Sharp screw some of them up? Yup. But there's also plenty of evidence of them finishing a whole bunch of 'em. Kruger?

That has got to be the worst analysis of a goal I have ever seen. In case you missed it, Kruger was flying there, and by the time he got it to his backhand, there was no room to go upstairs. In fact, he probably did attempt it - but Rask's pad was right there on his stick. Now if you want to claim he should have buried it on his forehand instead of going to his backhand, then maybe something can be said there.

But where he did show great hands was staying with the play, and while behind the goal line and falling down - putting it away.

Rahsan*

Lol, he's on the fourth line and ppl care about his stickhandling?

The Hawks have the best PK in the league, he's one of the big reasons why. He's not being asked to do much in the O-zone for anybody to be a critic really.

Hands? They are fine. He doesn't shoot much, for good reason. He wins a lot of board battles for a guy of his stature. Tough as nails. I feel he can play on lines 2-4 no problem. He's still a young man.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
That has got to be the worst analysis of a goal I have ever seen. In case you missed it, Kruger was flying there, and by the time he got it to his backhand, there was no room to go upstairs. In fact, he probably did attempt it - but Rask's pad was right there on his stick. Now if you want to claim he should have buried it on his forehand instead of going to his backhand, then maybe something can be said there.

But where he did show great hands was staying with the play, and while behind the goal line and falling down - putting it away.

Rask's pad was at least a foot away from the stick.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

The Hawks have the best PK in the league, he's one of the big reasons why. He's not being asked to do much in the O-zone for anybody to be a critic really.

Hands? They are fine. He doesn't shoot much, for good reason. He wins a lot of board battles for a guy of his stature. Tough as nails. I feel he can play on lines 2-4 no problem. He's still a young man.

No moves = OK for 4th line. No moves = fail on 2nd line

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Nothing says summer on the Blackhawks board like micro-analyzing everything Marcus Kruger does.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Nobody has an issue with him on the fourth line.

You can't argue that he doesn't need to be good offensively and say you'd be alright with him on the second line. That's my issue with him.

AbeLincolnsGhost

Jul 5, 2008
Ashland, OH
No moves = OK for 4th line. No moves = fail on 2nd line

I'm no Kruger fanboy, but you are being unreasonable in your analysis. He's young, has pretty good hands, has been assigned a defensive role, is sitting on the 4th line, but the big complaint is he isn't producing offensively to the standards of a second liner?

If that's not what you are trying to tell us, then explain to me what you are trying to tell us, because I'm just flat-out confused.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Kruger's hands. At all. There's also nothing wrong with his hockey sense or offensive instincts. He was in a defensive role last year, do you honestly expect him to try and make a lot of plays in the offensive zone in that role? Have you played competitive hockey before? Give me a break people.

I don't think a single person in this thread has brought up pencilling in Kruger for 2nd line duty, and yet his offensive production gets brought up. He's better than he's shown, and who knows how good he'll be. He's certainly better than a 4th liner.

BronYrAur

Nov 29, 2011
I don't necessarily think he'll, "overtake" Shaw as the 3rd line centre, but I think Shaw will be moved to wing at some point next year and Kruger given the role as the 3rd line centre. Shaw didn't do a bad job at centre by any means, but Kruger's much more refined defensively, understands his positioning better, and with Shaw's energy/grit, you'd like him to be involved more on the forecheck and along the walls.

The thing is, the 3rd line last year was not used as the shutdown line at all last year. That line consistently played against the easiest competition, and it's easy to see why as Shaw/Bickell/Stalberg are not great defensively.

See here: Fancy Stats

As an aside, that just shows you how ridiculously good Toews/Kane/Sharp/Hossa were last year, putting up ridiculous numbers while playing against other top lines (and the main board thinks Toews is overrated?? :laugh:)

I could see the same thing happening this year but different linemates for Shaw. Morin & Saad? That line's speed & skill & trouble-making would wreak havoc on other teams who are trying to match up with the Toews & Kane lines.

But just as it's stupid to say that Kruger has no offensive game and sucks in the offensive zone, it's also disingenuous to say that he is some defensive whiz. And to me there is no obvious reason to move Shaw to 3rd line wing and Kruger to 3C.

SLarmer28*

But just as it's stupid to say that Kruger has no offensive game and sucks in the offensive zone, it's also disingenuous to say that he is some defensive whiz. And to me there is no obvious reason to move Shaw to 3rd line wing and Kruger to 3C.
Andrew Shaw is actually one year younger than Kruger, so I don't see why he would be removed from the third line center role. If Kruger is moved to the third line center role, now the Chicago Blackhawks would have two vacancies, one at the second line center and another at the fourth line center.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I'm no Kruger fanboy, but you are being unreasonable in your analysis. He's young, has pretty good hands, has been assigned a defensive role, is sitting on the 4th line, but the big complaint is he isn't producing offensively to the standards of a second liner?

If that's not what you are trying to tell us, then explain to me what you are trying to tell us, because I'm just flat-out confused.

I've put it out there before, mainly to Bubba88. Show me the replays that demonstrate the supposed offensive abilities of Kruger.

I don't care what role he was given, when you have an offensive opportunity- you take it. Refer to me where he got a prime opportunity and just ripped a shot-even if it was stopped. I remember one instance only. No shot? OK same opportunity, show where he walked a defender to slide it over for a tap in.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Kruger's hands. At all. There's also nothing wrong with his hockey sense or offensive instincts. He was in a defensive role last year, do you honestly expect him to try and make a lot of plays in the offensive zone in that role? Have you played competitive hockey before? Give me a break people.

I don't think a single person in this thread has brought up pencilling in Kruger for 2nd line duty, and yet his offensive production gets brought up. He's better than he's shown, and who knows how good he'll be. He's certainly better than a 4th liner.

Yes and coached at levels that you desired to attain. There is no room for one dimensional players at that level.

Yes I expect to him to make offensive plays when they present themself. Is he really that focused on D when 190 feet from his own net? Nonsense, every player has the green light to push it when it's there.

SLarmer28*

I've put it out there before, mainly to Bubba88. Show me the replays that demonstrate the supposed offensive abilities of Kruger.

I don't care what role he was given, when you have an offensive opportunity- you take it. Refer to me where he got a prime opportunity and just ripped a shot-even if it was stopped. I remember one instance only. No shot? OK same opportunity, show where he walked a defender to slide it over for a tap in.
Marcus Kruger won't be given a greater offensive role when he only won 37.6% of faceoffs during the 2013 NHL Playoffs.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....ountry=&status=&viewName=faceOffPercentageAll

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Yes and coached at levels that you desired to attain. There is no room for one dimensional players at that level.

Yes I expect to him to make offensive plays when they present themself. Is he really that focused on D when 190 feet from his own net? Nonsense, every player has the green light to push it when it's there.

You clearly haven't. Kruger's role was to not get scored on and to not give up chances offensively. That was the entire 4th lines role. They weren't out there to be the secondary scoring to the secondary scoring, they were out there to be reliable defensively and give valuable minutes. They, and Kruger, did that all year.

Oh, and Chicago's 4th line outscored everyone's expectations in the playoffs and Kruger was on pace for 20+ points on the 4th line in the regular season. But clearly, he's shown no offensive talent.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Marcus Kruger won't be given a greater offensive role when he only won 37.6% of faceoffs during the 2013 NHL Playoffs.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....ountry=&status=&viewName=faceOffPercentageAll

And Kruger far and away lead the Hawks in faceoffs taken. Obviously he needs to get better, but he was going up against some of the best centremen in the league all playoffs, especially on the PK. M.Koivu, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Kopitar, Richards, Bergeron, etc. It's not as if he was going up against scrubs and losing draw after draw.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Andrew Shaw is actually one year younger than Kruger, so I don't see why he would be removed from the third line center role. If Kruger is moved to the third line center role, now the Chicago Blackhawks would have two vacancies, one at the second line center and another at the fourth line center.

No they wouldn't.

Rahsan*

Nobody has an issue with him on the fourth line.

You can't argue that he doesn't need to be good offensively and say you'd be alright with him on the second line. That's my issue with him.

He's not being asked to do much offensively. He has fourth line duties. Kruger has hands, good board play, tough, good around the net, and good vision. He hasn't maxed out. You can't limit him to the fourth line yet.

SLarmer28*

He's not being asked to do much offensively. He has fourth line duties. Kruger has hands, good board play, tough, good around the net, and good vision. He hasn't maxed out. You can't limit him to the fourth line yet.
Coach Q disagrees with your assessment as evident by Michal Handzus playing the second line center role during the 2013 NHL Playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad