Confirmed with Link: Blackhawks Re-Sign Marcus Kruger (2 years / 1.325 AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
Of the 20 regulars in the NHL that started less than 40% of their shifts in the offensive zone, Kruger was 6th in scoring. So he was well above league average in terms of points compared to players given similar defensive assignments. Kruger has offensive skill. Its very likely that when he is given a more offensive role, he'll be about a half a point a game guy, which is pretty good offensive skill. Not to mention he's still developing strength and will only get better. There's more to his offensive game, and if the Hawks ever give him the chance, its going to come. A good passer with phenomenal board skills

Rahsan*

Coach Q disagrees with your assessment as evident by Michal Handzus playing the second line center role during the 2013 NHL Playoffs.

That says nothing about Kruger in the future which I am talking about.

Handzus was there to provide Sharp and Hossa with a good face-off man, solid defensive play, and veteran savvy. Whatever else he did was gravy enough for Coach Q.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
The only time Michal Handzus needs to see the ice next season is as an injury replacement. It's time for Brandon Pirri to secure the second line role.

Ugh, Larmsy.

You asked who would be the 4th line centre if Kruger were the 3rd. How is Handzus as the 4th line centre going to block Pirri (or anyone else) from being the 2nd line centre?

SLarmer28*

That says nothing about Kruger in the future which I am talking about.

Handzus was there to provide Sharp and Hossa with a good face-off man, solid defensive play, and veteran savvy. Whatever else he did was gravy enough for Coach Q.
Nor have you mentioned Brandon Pirri whatsoever.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
You clearly haven't. Kruger's role was to not get scored on and to not give up chances offensively. That was the entire 4th lines role. They weren't out there to be the secondary scoring to the secondary scoring, they were out there to be reliable defensively and give valuable minutes. They, and Kruger, did that all year.

Oh, and Chicago's 4th line outscored everyone's expectations in the playoffs and Kruger was on pace for 20+ points on the 4th line in the regular season. But clearly, he's shown no offensive talent.

You do realize that it is typically every line's goal to not be scored against, right?

And now Kruger is so good offensively that while focusing on defense only, his line was scoring anyway.

Still looking for those plays where he created the offense.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
You do realize that it is typically every line's goal to not be scored against, right?

And now Kruger is so good offensively that while focusing on defense only, his line was scoring anyway.

Still looking for those plays where he created the offense.

Not being scored against is always part of hockey.. but Kruger's line was out there, mostly in defensive situations, and asked to get the puck 200ft and create some energy in the other teams zone and not get scored against. That was their role. That was not Toews' role, or Kane's, or Hossa's. They had a very specific job to do and they did it well.

If you're still looking for the plays than you're blind.

Rahsan*

Nor have you mentioned Brandon Pirri whatsoever.

I hope Brandon Pirri becomes a great second line center for us. Until he plays, however, he's still a prospect and a question mark.

Kruger has played though. Two years and some. We have seen he's effective on either third or fourth lines. And all I'm saying is I believe he has some tools to play second too. He's young and maturing still. You can't limit him just yet.

SLarmer28*

I hope Brandon Pirri becomes a great second line center for us. Until he plays, however, he's still a prospect and a question mark.

Kruger has played though. Two years and some. We have seen he's effective on either third or fourth lines. And all I'm saying is I believe he has some tools to play second too. He's young and maturing still. You can't limit him just yet.
So what? Each player has a different development curve. Besides, Pirri as well as Shaw are a year younger than Kruger.

As for Kruger, he has the weakest wrist shot of any forward on the Chicago Blackhawks aside from maybe Dan Carcillo.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Not being scored against is always part of hockey.. but Kruger's line was out there, mostly in defensive situations, and asked to get the puck 200ft and create some energy in the other teams zone and not get scored against. That was their role. That was not Toews' role, or Kane's, or Hossa's. They had a very specific job to do and they did it well.

If you're still looking for the plays than you're blind.

I'm in total agreement with the bolded.

Now when you find a loose puck or 2 between the circles, shouldn't one be ripping a shot or make a deke and set a linemate up? Those are not plays that will put the goal 200' away at risk.

How about on a cycle, looking to take it to the net maybe just once in a while. If those plays happened let me know and if I didn't see them a visit to the optometrist may indeed be needed.

Give me something!

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I'm in total agreement with the bolded.

Now when you find a loose puck or 2 between the circles, shouldn't one be ripping a shot or make a deke and set a linemate up? Those are not plays that will put the goal 200' away at risk.

How about on a cycle, looking to take it to the net maybe just once in a while. If those plays happened let me know and if I didn't see them a visit to the optometrist may indeed be needed.

Give me something!

Kruger's not a dynamic player. He never will be. If he's going to be a quality scorer in the league, it won't be because of his outstanding shot or deking ability, it will be because of his playmaking and ability to be in the right spot, at the right time in the offensive zone. He does those things all the time, even from the 4th line. Again, that's not to say Kruger has bad hands, because he doesn't. His hands are above league-average. They just aren't of dynamic quality.

Kruger does the bolded all the time. After Toews, he has the most wrap-around attempts on the team. Kruger's certainly not a perimeter player. He drives the net, he plants himself there, and he gets the puck there with regularity.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Coach Q disagrees with your assessment as evident by Michal Handzus playing the second line center role during the 2013 NHL Playoffs.

You mean the same genius that sat Stalberg in favor of Brandon Bollig...not just once but twice? The same moron that has our PP screwed up beyond repair? The same brainiac that split BTK up after a wildly sucessful series and gave lame ass reasoning when pressed about it?

Most of the time I'd prefer 75% of this board making tactical decisions over that idiot. Citing Q's often questionable decision making as refutation to another poster's assessment of Kruger is hardly valid.

The reality is Kruger hasn't shown a ton of offensive aptitude, yet he was used mostly in a non-offensive role and has been playing on NA ice for a whopping 2 years. He may develop, he may not, but I think it's ridiculous for either side to make overwhelming assertions one way or another.

I think he's shown he has talent and great vision. As others have mentioned his shot is lacking, but he's still young and has mastered the art of being a defensive forward. Maybe now that he's been over here a couple of years and found some success the game will slow down a bit and allow him to develop. I think it's way too early to right Kruger off.

SLarmer28*

Ugh, Larmsy.

You asked who would be the 4th line centre if Kruger were the 3rd. How is Handzus as the 4th line centre going to block Pirri (or anyone else) from being the 2nd line centre?
There is no need whatsoever to move Marcus Kruger from the fourth line center role especially since Andrew Shaw has secured the third line center role.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Kruger's not a dynamic player. He never will be. If he's going to be a quality scorer in the league, it won't be because of his outstanding shot or deking ability, it will be because of his playmaking and ability to being in the right spot, at the right time in the offensive zone. He does those things all the time, even from the 4th line. Again, that's not to say Kruger has bad hands, because he doesn't. His hands are above league-average. They just aren't of dynamic quality.

Kruger does the bolded all the time. After Toews, he has the most wrap-around attempts on the team. Kruger's certainly not a perimeter player. He drives the net, he plants himself there, and he gets the puck there with regularity.

I'd agree with this assessment 100%.

If Marcus can improve his strength to allow him to be harder on the puck, improve his FO percentage, and improve his shot just a little bit it would do worlds for the naysayers' perception of his game. With Kruger's defensive game, and vision, he has the makings to be an amazing transition player (create turnovers, use vision to capitalize on rushes). Whether or not this all happens remains to be seen.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
That's a pretty big jump from what he said. Lighting up the SEL means little. I said it then and I'll say it now.
10/11 AHL Top Scorers
#1 Locke - played on DEL champs 4th line, now no contract
#2 Giroux - entering his 2nd season in europe
#3 Krog - entering his 3rd season in the SEL (83 pts in 105 games)
#4 Haydar - still in the AHL
#5 Dawes - entering his 3rd season in europe

09/10 AHL Top Scorers
Desharnais as #5 went on to really get better, Aucoin now plays on the Isles Bottom6 the other 3 never made it in the NHL

Same time Top5 in Sweden - 2 guys made it to the NHL with 1 being still damn young and highly talented with Rundblad

Lighting up the AHL means little too, don't you think?

I'll give you 5 right off the bat and you let me know if you need more. Christian Berglund; Mattias Weinhandl; Joel Lundqvist; Magnus Kahnberg and Robert Nilsson.
Weinhandl had health problems and turned down NHL offers for KHL money
Lundqvist played in the NHL long enough and NEVER was considered a scorer
Nilssons offense is good and better than about 40%+ of current NHL forwards

thanks for proving you know little to nothing about them and european hockey - again

Are you kidding me? Good hands roofs that backhander, he was fortunate the Bruins didn't backcheck hard enough.
good hands roof that? Show me some prove about that. There was little to no chance to roof that.

Are we really going to criticize Kruger's offense when he started like 70% of his shifts in his own zone? Too lazy to look up the actual numbers on how greatly that effects point totals, but when Brandon Pirri is getting 65% OZ starts and putting up some points, it doesn't mean he's some god while Kruger has no offensive talent. Its really hard to score when you start so far away from where the puck needs to go
not to mention that when he finally was in the O zone, it was the end of his shifts and a time when you take a shot to get the chance because the goalie is going to freeze it. This was often the case with Frolik and Krüger.

Yes and coached at levels that you desired to attain. There is no room for one dimensional players at that level.

Yes I expect to him to make offensive plays when they present themself. Is he really that focused on D when 190 feet from his own net? Nonsense, every player has the green light to push it when it's there.
looks like you are a bad coach or just a liar that never coached at that level.

you also haven't seen Krüger in the SEL... he never was that dangler and shooter. He has a high hockey IQ and good passing skills, good hands. Hard worker that will get rewarded.

I really like that some assume that the Krüger that wasn't good 11/12 as #2 C is still the player he was back then... when he was a rookie, in a new country adopting to the smaller rink and NA.

SLarmer28*

You mean the same genius that sat Stalberg in favor of Brandon Bollig...not just once but twice? The same moron that has our PP screwed up beyond repair? The same brainiac that split BTK up after a wildly sucessful series and gave lame ass reasoning when pressed about it?
What's so great about Stalberg in the playoffs? Oh yeah, goal less once again.

Most of the time I'd prefer 75% of this board making tactical decisions over that idiot. Citing Q's often questionable decision making as refutation to another poster's assessment of Kruger is hardly valid.
If the ultimate goal for the Chicago Blackhawks is to roll four lines, I see no benefit whatsoever of removing Kruger from the fourth line center role.

The reality is Kruger hasn't shown a ton of offensive aptitude, yet he was used mostly in a non-offensive role and has been playing on NA ice for a whopping 2 years. He may develop, he may not, but I think it's ridiculous for either side to make overwhelming assertions one way or another.
What's so wrong with Kruger as the fourth line center?

I think he's shown he has talent and great vision. As others have mentioned his shot is lacking, but he's still young and has mastered the art of being a defensive forward. Maybe now that he's been over here a couple of years and found some success the game will slow down a bit and allow him to develop. I think it's way too early to right Kruger off.
Kruger has the weakest wrist shot on the Chicago Blackhawks aside from Dan Carcillo. Great vision? Where all these tap in goals for the Chicago Blackhawks when Kruger is centering a line?

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
There is no need whatsoever to move Marcus Kruger from the fourth line center role especially since Andrew Shaw has secured the third line center role.

Sure there is. Kruger's too good for the 4th line and Shaw's best attributes would be more prevalent on the wing.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Weinhandl had health problems and turned down NHL offers for KHL money Of course after flopping in NHL
Lundqvist played in the NHL long enough and NEVER was considered a scorer Offense similar to Kruger in SEL at the same age
Nilssons offense is good and better than about 40%+ of current NHL forwards Good, another one dimensional player

thanks for proving you know little to nothing about them and european hockey - again

good hands roof that? Show me some prove about that. There was little to no chance to roof that.

not to mention that when he finally was in the O zone, it was the end of his shifts and a time when you take a shot to get the chance because the goalie is going to freeze it. This was often the case with Frolik and Krüger. :shakehead

looks like you are a bad coach or just a liar that never coached at that level. If you say so. I don't think there is anyone in the NHL that would know you though.

you also haven't seen Krüger in the SEL... he never was that dangler and shooter. He has a high hockey IQ and good passing skills, good hands. Hard worker that will get rewarded.

I really like that some assume that the Krüger that wasn't good 11/12 as #2 C is still the player he was back then... when he was a rookie, in a new country adopting to the smaller rink and NA.

Indeed I never saw Kruger in SEL, others have said he was a wunderkind. I'm still waiting to see what you saw. Maybe the pace here is to quick, the game a little too physical or the ice a little too small?

When did you come to realize Kruger wasn't good at 2C in 11/12? Must be fairly recently. Didn't quite take me that long to realize it, but I'm a never was crotchety old man according to some.

Last edited:

SLarmer28*

Sure there is. Kruger's too good for the 4th line and Shaw's best attributes would be more prevalent on the wing.
That's a bunch of baloney. During the 2013 NHL Playoffs, a comparison between the two forwards:

Andrew Shaw - plus/minus rating +2
Marcus Kruger - plus/minus rating -2
Andrew Shaw - 5 goals
Marcus Kruger - 3 goals
Andrew Shaw - 4 assists
Marcus Kruger - 2 assists
Andrew Shaw - 67 hits
Marcus Kruger - 12 hits
Andrew Shaw - 47.2% faceoffs
Marcus Kruger - 37.6% faceoffs

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20133CHIFAFALL&sort=avgTOIPerGame&viewName=summary

Let's remove Marcus Kruger from the fourth line center role only to ice the worst fourth line in the NHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
That's a bunch of baloney. During the 2013 NHL Playoffs, a comparison between the two forwards:

Andrew Shaw - plus/minus rating positive
Marcus Kruger - plus/minus rating negative
Andrew Shaw - 5 goals
Marcus Kruger - 3 goals
Andrew Shaw - 4 assists
Marcus Kruger - 2 assists
Andrew Shaw - 67 hits
Marcus Kruger - 12 hits
Andrew Shaw - 47.2% faceoffs
Marcus Kruger - 37.6% faceoffs

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20133CHIFAFALL&sort=avgTOIPerGame&viewName=summary

Let's remove Marcus Kruger from the fourth line center role only to ice the worst fourth line in the NHL.

Andrew Shaw played on the PP and got more ES ice-time, not to mention played with better players. Nothing in your post has anything to do with what I said. You just post things, whether they're relevant or not.

SLarmer28*

Andrew Shaw played on the PP and got more ES ice-time, not to mention played with better players. Nothing in your post has anything to do with what I said. You just post things, whether they're relevant or not.
So what if Andrew Shaw played on the power play. Marcus Kruger played on the penalty killing unit. Nothing you have shown has proven that Marcus Kruger is a better third line center than Andrew Shaw.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
So what if Andrew Shaw played on the power play. Marcus Kruger played on the penalty killing unit. Nothing you have shown has proven that Marcus Kruger is a better third line center than Andrew Shaw.

You clearly got the point.

I don't have to prove that Kruger would be a better third line centre. That's not my argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad