Biggest pet peeves in hockey?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
The powerplay breakout drop pass

The Sabres have done this for years and years, got away from it, and have now seemingly brought it back. The number of times Dahlin or Thompson has open ice ahead, 2 wingers alongside, and opts to drop it back to the last guy who now has to do the same skating but through more defenders and now stationary teammates.. f***ing why!? If you don’t change the angle of attack or misdirect anyone in any way then what in the f*** are you doing!?

The puck over the glass rule is stupid. A goalie or defender knocking their own net off should be 2 minutes. Attempts to block shots that shouldn’t be blocked. Those all irk me as well.

Reactions: Realgud

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
Announcers constantly jinxing things. Like at the start of a game a team takes a penalty: "team x has been on a roll on the pk and have killed 12 straight". Team proceeds to give up 4 powerplay goals that game. This actually happened to the oilers last week against the kings.

When people place too much importance on a teams performance when evaluating and comparing players. Hockey isn't like basketball where one player can play 80% of the game and 2 or 3 all-stars can pull a team full of trash players to a championship.

Stupid stats that are usually mentioned 3 or more times a game.

Reactions: johan f

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Linesmen who take an eternity to drop the puck, pretending they do but still keep the puck, then chase centermen for moving too fast, then take their time once more to drop the puck. JUST DROP THE %&$@ing PUCK!!

Also my most hated man in hockey (even more than Marchand, Matt Cooke, Bettman, Don Cherry and Jack Edwards) : Chris Lee!!!

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Refs seem to be ALWAYS in the way now. Getting in the way of players on the rush, and pucks are bouncing off of them during the cycle and even clearing attempts.
They are a bunch of Tim Peels with a greater level of sophistication when managing games.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Guys who beaver clap or give you shit that they were open when they couldn't see the defender right behind them

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Maybe this is weird but I find it dumb when players get mad at the opposing team for getting a couple of extra wacks in when a goalie covers the puck.

Going for loose pucks is part of the game, you may as well get mad at them trying to score at all.

Last edited:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
The NHL's bastardization of the phrase "game management"
This goes way beyond "pet peeve" for me.

It's more like "completely ruining the entire sport at every level single-handedly"

As far as refs getting in the way - as a soccer ref, you're just taught to stand still and let the ball/play go around you. The players should be able to avoid a stationary object. Seems like hockey players expect the referees to be super nimble and able to predict the future to avoid their dump-ins.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Announcers constantly jinxing things. Like at the start of a game a team takes a penalty: "team x has been on a roll on the pk and have killed 12 straight". Team proceeds to give up 4 powerplay goals that game. This actually happened to the oilers last week against the kings.

When people place too much importance on a teams performance when evaluating and comparing players. Hockey isn't like basketball where one player can play 80% of the game and 2 or 3 all-stars can pull a team full of trash players to a championship.

Stupid stats that are usually mentioned 3 or more times a game.
Really??? Do you actually believe that some comment by an announcer can cause an event to happen or not happen?

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I'll add another for the offside review, just let the refs call it, we've seen too many times a long play develop and get called back after scoring , I can live with a few mm of error like we always have

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
3x3 overtime, shootouts, not blowing the whistle when the puck is frozen, the delay of game when the puck is accidentally shot into the crowd and most of all, most of all alice.....LEAH HEXTALL!!!

PastaSawce

Mar 6, 2021
Western MA
Mine is random, but my radio play by play guy says “time and room” instead of “ time and space.” I don’t know why, but it annoys me strongly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad