Biggest Goaltending Bust of all time??

connellc

Dec 2, 2010
Canadian media hype had Justin Pogge because of his team Canada performance, but my friends and I never thought he would amount to much.

Thomas McCollum is someone I never thought highly of and did not warrant burning a late 1st round pick for.

Mark Visentin- Mentioned above, and out of hockey surprisingly quick for a 1st round pick. I always thought from his interviews that he didn't have the mental maturity to be a good goalie either TBH. His minor league stats are pretty bad too.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I guess when this thread started in 2007, there was still hope Rick DiPietro would become a star, but now his career looks underwhelming for a #1 overall pick.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Chet Pickard, 2008 Draft. Stings for Predators fans because he was the pick when the Predators traded down while the Senators traded up for Erik Karlsson. At least Nashville got Josi in the 2nd round.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Mason McDonald couldn't hold a rotation in the AHL. 5 AHL GP in his career against a hundred-some ECHL games before calling it quits. 1st goaltender off the board in 2014, two picks ahead of Thatcher Demko.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Section 104

Sep 12, 2021
Jack McCartan was the goalie for the 1960 USA team that won the gold medal in the Olympics (the one you never hear about and no one makes a movie about). Apparently he initially signed with the Rangers for $1,000 a game for 4 games in 1960(league minimum was $7,000 a year). He did fairly well with a 1-1-2 record and1.75 GAA. Rangers attendance was up about 10,000 people to 48,340. The next year he signed for more than $10,000, was initially platooned with Gump Worsley but went 1-6-1with a 4.77 and was sent to the minors. He stayed there until ended up on the WHA Minnesota Fighting Saints for 40 games in their first two years.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
There's a couple of earlier posts that are almost old enough to buy a pack a cigarettes that already mentioned the first guy that came to mind for me:

Maxime Ouellet

I seem to remember some huge hype for him in the early 2000's. He was eventually penciled in for the Caps back up job coming out of the lockout. Then he had a brutal pre-season where the Caps basically gave up on him. Eventually ended up in Vancouver where he basically got to watch NHL games from the bench and after that barely played for 3 years before he was out of hockey at the age of 27/28.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Carey Price ranks pretty low in terms of career stats and achievements compared to the hype he got throughout his career.
Do you really think that Carey Price - a player who has a number of top 5 Vezina finishes, won the MVP as a goalie, and retired like top 20 in wins all time - belongs in this thread where four of the last five names mentioned played 13 career games or less...?

CuuuJooo

May 28, 2021
Tyler Parsons.

Absolute money for the London Knights before going pro and falling down an alt-right conspiracy hole (at least that’s what it sounds like).

Necro-threads rule.

Reactions: cole von cole

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
For me a bust needs to be taken in the top.20

Yeah, this thread is basically just people listing every goalie ever taken in the top 2 rounds who didn't make it as an NHL starter.

Most of the answers here should be centered around the 1995-2005 period when it suddenly became trendy to draft goalies artificially high in the draft and basically all of them aside from Luongo and Price ended up being duds. Finley, Krahn, Montoya, etc.

Reactions: The Panther

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Everyone thought Schwarz was better than Dubnyk at the time and Schwarz faded out of relevance without many noticing

It seems crazy now that a 5'10 goalie went #17 overall and was considered such an elite prospect.

The sport in 2004 was already mostly shifted to big goalies but Schwarz had some very good performances at the U18s and WJCs and somehow became the very last sub-6'0 goalie to ever be considered a top prospect.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
what about nothing special draftee but "great" nhl rookie a la Jim Carey, Raycroft, Steve Mason, hard to talk about bust, but maybe in many people eyes.

Mason great playoff + U20 before the nhl, calder finalist, many could get caught with huge expectation

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
what about nothing special draftee but "great" nhl rookie a la Jim Carey, Raycroft, Steve Mason, hard to talk about bust, but maybe in many people eyes.

Mason great playoff + U20 before the nhl, calder finalist, many could get caught with huge expectation
Blaine Lacher is the ultimate "looks good* for a season" bust.
* - or better said the stats look good, before @Michael Farkas comes and lists the 72245648 faults that Lacher had

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not necessarily. You can add guys who were drafted later, but who looked great at the Memorial cup, NCAA, wjhc’s or Olympics.

A 3rd round pick who had a big Memorial Cup hardly belongs on a list of 'all time biggest busts'.

The only exception I might make is Jim Craig who came into the league with insane hype after the Miracle on Ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad