Biggest Goaltending Bust of all time??

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Blackburn started something like 17 straight games in the 2002-03 season. He played 63 NHL games before his 20th birthday.

While he was shell-shocked following that marathon stretch in his sophomore year, it wasn't like people were writing him completely. Goalies who play 63 games before they turn 20 aren't busts. He'd be a star now if it weren't for the injury.

Hi GBC,

I repect your posts here a great deal and I have to agree with you on this. Danny Blackburn did everything to stay in the rangers line up including playing with two blockers until his shoulder was so much in pain he had to retire.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Blackburn was a tough loss for Rangers fans (and for Dan himself, obviously). Not that we exactly are in trouble now with Lundqvist and Montoya in the wings, but Blackburn was supposed to take the reins from Richter and we all had him pegged as our new franchise goaltender, and then he got nailed by that freak injury before he really got a chance to shine.

I agree, he wasn't a bust in the traditional sense. But our hopes were certainly busted :)

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Blackburn was a tough loss for Rangers fans (and for Dan himself, obviously). Not that we exactly are in trouble now with Lundqvist and Montoya in the wings, but Blackburn was supposed to take the reins from Richter and we all had him pegged as our new franchise goaltender, and then he got nailed by that freak injury before he really got a chance to shine.

I agree, he wasn't a bust in the traditional sense. But our hopes were certainly busted :)

Blackburn was sick. It's such a shame a freak injury took down such an incredibly talented kid.

Nich

Dec 8, 2004
Wantagh
blackburn imo had top 5 talent.....and it wasn't exactly fun playing behind our d back then, and he played really well considering.

toastman344*

Pat Riggin was an all-star and played eleven NHL seasons. Maybe he was never a superstar but he wasn't anywhere even close to a bust.

I Beg to Differ..if memory serves, Riggin was drafted into the WHA as an underager , after Starring in the OHL...He was also on at least one of our early World Junior Teams ...if I recall...and he was an add on to that WJC Team...rather than a bonafide member of the Mem Cup Defending champs...as was the usual criteria in those dayz...which gives an idea of how highly thought oF...he was

Riggin did real well early on, in the NHL also ...BUT ...after about 1984 , when he was still quite young...maybe 25 or so...and Still Highly Touted...He was Pretty Much...

BUST

LapierreSports

Mar 9, 2007
Montreal
Trevor Kidd may not have been a star, but he played about 400 games in the NHL, which is more than you can say for a few other guys named in this thread.

True....but he is the one that came to mind....I remember the World Junior Championship and his junior seasons...boy was he highly touted and probably rightfully so because he was playing great in nets. He was the next great goalie ! Like Pat Falloon who was in the same world junior team, he was a huge bust in the NHL even if he played 400 games.

iknowphysics

Mar 4, 2007
Redondo Beach, CA
G Michel Plasse was drafted first overall by the Canadiens in '68. Since then, no other 1st overall goalies ever.

He stunk, too. He played one 55 game season with Colorado, and ate NHL bench, AHL duty, and AHL bench on and off the rest of his career.

Badger Bob

Somebody at Hockey Canada thought enough of Corey Hirsch to allow him to start in the '94 Olympics. The shootout goal by Forsberg was honored with a postage stamp in Sweden. Hirsch toiled in the AHL and IHL for a while, after some backup duty in Vancouver.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Some of these cases were simply matters of bad timing. Bunny Larocque wasn't a terrible goaltender, but when you ride the pine for five or six years because you're behind a much better 'tender (in Larocque's case, it was a guy named Dryden or somesuch) the likelihood that you'll shine is far diminished.

When goalies don't play regularly, they're bound to get rusty. Their skills are bound to diminish. Is there a good example of a goalie who spent five or six years as a rarely played backup before rising to prominence? I can't think of a good example. Maybe Manny Legace? Can someone give a better example?

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Can't beleive I red 14 posts before seeing Jimmy Waite. At the very least, Trevor Kidd was able to have something like a career.

Also, Jose Theodore is as much a bust as Dan Blackburn. That guy was a 2nd round pick, won a Hart & a Vezina, and maybe a Crozier Saving Grace Award. Whether he was a fluke (for 3 years?) or just a flake is arguable, but I just don't see how he could be considered a bust.

facts

Aug 3, 2005
see any goaltender aside from parent and lindberg whom was ever drafted or played for the flyers- and I am a die hard flyers fan

"Hockey is 60% goaltending unless you haven't got it, and then it's a 100% of the problem" harry neale

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
1970 (the Gilbert Perrault draft) - Habs draft Ray Martyniuk of the Flin Flon Bombers # 5 over-all and he never plays one game in the NHL. 8 seasons in the minors.

In the same draft the Habs drafted another goalie, Cal Hammond at #45 and he never played an NHL game either.
In fairness to these guys, though, they really got drafted by the worst possible team at the worst possible time. They're both before my time, so I don't know how good they were, but unless you were outstanding, you'd be pretty much stuck behind Dryden and Larouque for the next 9-10 years.

Still, #5 is a very high pick for a goalie.

toastman344*

A Hart winner is never a bust. NEVER.

To me ur a BIG Bust ...if u reach the level of League Mvp at the tender age ( for a goalie ! ) of 25 ...U Earn a BIG CONTRACT... and many start to think of u ...as the second coming of Patrick Roy...and then ur career takes a Huge Swan Dive...and Maybe u can't even obtain the status of a bonafide NHL #1...Much less an All Star etc...anymore...

Thus far Theodore...looks like he may Qualify...BIG TIME !

Last edited by a moderator:

La Grosse Tendresse

Sep 19, 2005
Rouyn-Noranda
To me ur a BIG Bust ...if u reach the level of League Mvp at the tender age ( for a goalie ! ) of 25 ...U Earn a BIG CONTRACT... and many start to think of u ...as the second coming of Patrick Roy...and then ur career takes a Huge Swan Dive...and Maybe u can't even obtain the status of a bonafide NHL #1...Much less an All Star etc...anymore...

Thus far Theodore...looks like he may Qualify...BIG TIME !

Speak... In... ENGLISH...

Last edited by a moderator:

Wetcoaster

In fairness to these guys, though, they really got drafted by the worst possible team at the worst possible time. They're both before my time, so I don't know how good they were, but unless you were outstanding, you'd be pretty much stuck behind Dryden and Larouque for the next 9-10 years.

Still, #5 is a very high pick for a goalie.
The highest I can see where he never made the NHL. And not one single NHL game played:amazed: while toiling for 8 years in the minors.

In this case it was not due to an injury - he just did not have the talent. Remember the NHL had just doubled in size and then added Vancouver and Buffalo. You would have thought a goalie ranked this high would have at least got a sniff ihn his career.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Yeah Jimmy Waite came to mind for me. Was going to be the Blackhawks goalie of the future, until Eddie Belfour came on the scene and totally out played him.

OH yea waite...The Hawks choose to trade Hasek over Waite. Waite for somany years in the early 90's was the next elite goalie but he just flunked out and finally the hawks traded him, he came back once i think and then floated around the nhl for a few years....I wonder where he is now?

I dont know about bust or what a goalie should have been but anyone remember Jim Carey from the Bruins/Caps??

flappuck

Jul 17, 2006
Jocelyn Thibault (1st round (10th overall) in 1993)

Maxime Ouellet (1st round (22nd overall) in 1999)

Brian Boucher (1st round (22nd overall) in 1995)

You also have a couple of guys picked early in the 2nd round like
Kevin Weekes (2nd round (41st overall) in 1993)
Jean-Marc Pelletier (2nd round (30th overall) in 1997)
Philippe Sauvé (2nd round (38th overall) in 1998)

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
I Beg to Differ..if memory serves, Riggin was drafted into the WHA as an underager , after Starring in the OHL...He was also on at least one of our early World Junior Teams ...if I recall...and he was an add on to that WJC Team...rather than a bonafide member of the Mem Cup Defending champs...as was the usual criteria in those dayz...which gives an idea of how highly thought oF...he was

Riggin did real well early on, in the NHL also ...BUT ...after about 1984 , when he was still quite young...maybe 25 or so...and Still Highly Touted...He was Pretty Much...

BUST

Look, before I was just refuting based on memory, but if you're going to be stubborn about it, here are Pat's particulars:

NHL Goals-Against Average Leader: 1983-84 (Washington) (2.66)
NHL Shutouts Leader: 1983-84 (Washington) (4 shutouts)
Jennings Trophy: 1983-84 (Washington) (co-winner with Al Jensen)
NHL All-Star Second Team: 1983-84 (Washington)
Sporting News All-Star First Team: 1983-84 (Washington)
Washington Team Records: Longest unbeaten streak (13 games from Jan. 27, 1984, to Feb. 18, 1984, 12-0-1), longest winning streak (10 games from Jan. 27, 1984, to Feb. 18, 1984), longest shutout streak (203:52 from Jan. 27, 1984, to Feb. 3, 1984)

350 NHL games played, 46 WHA. 153-120-52 record on mostly mediocre teams, 3.43 career GAA in the goal-happy 1980s, 11 career shutouts.

Superstar? No. Hall of Famer? No. Bust? No friggin' way.

First rounders only with the exceptions of others already mentioned (Storr, Fichaud, Ouellette, Finley, Waite and Kidd)

Hannu Toivonnen (29th overall #1 for BOS) 2002
Adam Munro (29th overall #1 for CHI) 2001
Brent Krahn (9th overall #1 for CGY) 2000
Patrick Desroches (14th overall #1 for PHX) 1998
J-F Damphousse (24th overall #1 for NJ) 1997
Evgeni Ryabchikov (21st overall #1 for BOS) 1994
Jason Muzzatti (21st overall #1 for CGY) 1988
Gord Laxton (13th overall #1 for PIT) 1975
Terry Richardson (11th overall #1 for DET) 1973

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad