Biggest 2016 UFA for the city of Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Durant is not only the best out of the three, but he also plays basketball which is a sport where a superstar can have a way bigger impact than in hockey or baseball. Top star players in basketball play ~2/3s+ of the game, in hockey a forward will play 1/3 of the game, and in baseball a pitcher will pitcher ~3/4 of a game every 5th game. On top of that, the Raptors are already a fairly solid playoff team. Add Durant, and they become one of the top 2-3 favourites in the league IMO.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I'd rather get Durant or Price re-signed then Stamkos. maybe that's because those 2 players make the current rosters, true contenders while Stamkos doesn't make the leafs team a contender, tho not because he's not a star player

stamlkos ,mathews and good goaltending ,and we are contenders ,and by year 3 areal force
leats arent as far as u think ,especially if one of kadri or jvr emerge as a solid top six kinda guy ,any team would be nuts not to sign stammer,key is does stammer want the leafs?
also that vesey kid at harvard looks like the real deal ,college players love structure ,and one thing the leafs can offer,diversity and structure ....:yo:

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Durant would instantly make the Raptors into a contender. Stamkos only makes the Leafs marginally better. Leafs still need a few pieces. So I voted Durant.

i agree about durant but stamkos would be a mid term piece to accelerate cup contention.

kapanen-stamkos-marner
jvr-nylander-bracco
?-?-?
?-gauthier-leivo

maybe timashov/dzierk hit the top 6.
brown and johnson also hit top 6.
maybe toninato and sosh bottom 6

rielly-chychun (sp)
gardiner-dermott
percy-loov
nielson

valiev or desrocher could also be on the roster.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Was wondering who would make the biggest impact signing with Toronto in their 2016 UFA. I know this is a hockey forum so Stamkos has an advantage but I think a lot of us are multi sport fans

Impact would be driven by relevance. Leafs are the most relevant, Raptors the least.

Mar 26, 2010
Stamkos will most likely sign a retirement contract in Tampa. No way he see UFA status, Yzerman will do whatever it takes to him inked.

Shwaguy*

KD simply due to the nature of the sport. Adding a player of his calibre has the biggest impact on any of the 3 teams. But then again Price re-signing with the Jays (And hopefully another big move due to the hopefully increased budget) would easily have the best chance at a championship to this city. But Baseball playoffs are such a crapshoot that it's the luckiest/hottest team that wins rather than the best so who knows?

Shwaguy*

Stamkos will most likely sign a retirement contract in Tampa. No way he see UFA status, Yzerman will do whatever it takes to him inked.

He can't unless you think he'll retire when he's 34

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Impact would be driven by relevance. Leafs are the most relevant, Raptors the least.

Did you hear Tim Leiweke's comments re Leafs and Raptors? Although it seems quite substantial and out there, he must have had some ground to make a statement like that.

And don't you think a Raptors team would be quite relevant if they were a contender from the beginning of the season?

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Stamkos would easily have the biggest impact on his team. Durant isn't a league executive or a referee so he doesn't decide who wins the NBA that year.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Did you hear Tim Leiweke's comments re Leafs and Raptors? Although it seems quite substantial and out there, he must have had some ground to make a statement like that.

And don't you think a Raptors team would be quite relevant if they were a contender from the beginning of the season?

No idea what Timmy L said.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Stamkos would easily have the biggest impact on his team. Durant isn't a league executive or a referee so he doesn't decide who wins the NBA that year.

Durant is a top 5 player in the NBA. A league in which superstars can single handedly elevate franchises. Durant would make the Raps championship contenders. Stamkos, on the other hand, would not make the Leafs Cup contenders.

Not even going to go into the laughable thought of the NBA being fixed.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'm torn on this one. I voted for Stamkos because I'm a Leaf fan first and foremost, but Durant would have a greater immediate impact on the fortunes of the Raptors.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
In terms of impact, Durant would be the guy.

But the thought of a Stamkos-led Leafs team for many years to come is just so tantalizing I can almost taste it. He'd become an icon in this city.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Stamkos in theory would be great... but teams don't win the cup on the back of one guy... not even Gretzky(though maybe Messier:naughty: ). Investing the money required to get Stamkos closes the Leafs' window a bit, because it takes away from the ability to re-sign their own talent in the future(Nylander, Marner, Rielly)... or the ability to sign other pieces to build around Stamkos.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
For impact to the team's success-Durant, for "buzz" among fans and media-Stamkos

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Ok. So TB can offer 8 years and the Leafs can only offer 7, correct? Is there anything from stopping them from giving him an extension in the same year?

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
Lol you guys keep living the Stamkos dream cause its not gonna happen. Tampa are contenders, Leafs are not. Stamkos would want a crack at the cup so he will stay in Tampa. Leafs would have to pay this guy 10+ mill which would really eat up cap space. Babcock is one thing but Stamkos I doubt it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad