Biggest 2016 UFA for the city of Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

InShannyWeTrust

Bring on the trades!
Aug 6, 2009
Was wondering who would make the biggest impact signing with Toronto in their 2016 UFA. I know this is a hockey forum so Stamkos has an advantage but I think a lot of us are multi sport fans

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
KD is probably the best offensive force in the game and you can have him out there for three quarters of the game vs about a third of the game for Stamkos and once every few games for Price.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I'd rather get Durant or Price re-signed then Stamkos. maybe that's because those 2 players make the current rosters, true contenders while Stamkos doesn't make the leafs team a contender, tho not because he's not a star player

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Durant would instantly make the Raptors into a contender. Stamkos only makes the Leafs marginally better. Leafs still need a few pieces. So I voted Durant.

barilko05

People...they're the worst!
Jan 28, 2011
Further to this, Andrew Wiggins is TECHNICALLY a FA after this season. However, Minni has the option of extending for another year (I think they might :sarcasm:)

However, he will be a FA for reals after next season. If you're the Raps, and you have a chance to sign Durant this offseason, or Wiggins next, what do you do? Could they afford to do both? And before you say "Oh the T-Wolves would never let that happen," keep in mind that NBA players have jumped ship after their 3rd year to be closer to home before (I'm lookin' at you, Tracey McGrady).

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
Further to this, Andrew Wiggins is TECHNICALLY a FA after this season. However, Minni has the option of extending for another year (I think they might :sarcasm:)

However, he will be a FA for reals after next season. If you're the Raps, and you have a chance to sign Durant this offseason, or Wiggins next, what do you do? Could they afford to do both? And before you say "Oh the T-Wolves would never let that happen," keep in mind that NBA players have jumped ship after their 3rd year to be closer to home before (I'm lookin' at you, Tracey McGrady).
If the Raptors have a chance to sign KD they pull the trigger, no questions ask. You don't pass up a player like Durant for something that might be on the horizon. And I say that as someone whose only non-Raptors basketball jersey is a Wiggins jersey.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Durant AINEC in terms of overall impact to the team's play.

Having said that Stamkos would be the 'biggest' cause, this is always going to be a Leafs town.

Why not all of them though? Free agency bonanza. :sarcasm:

Completelybroke

Mar 22, 2015
Stamkos we just have to many missing pieces, Prices is a playoffs no show. Durant however can ensure 20-35 points a game regular or post season. Making him the guy to push the franchise into contention play. Especially with a pass first player like Lowry unlike Westbrooke Durant may get even more touches than before.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008

Not quite. He's under team control for another 3 years, after which he becomes a RESTRICTED free agent (barring any contract extensions). I do not understand why people keep bringing Wiggins up. Minny won't just let him go, especially when they're considered to be a team on the rise.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Durant, not even close.

Sad to say, but I think I would have Stammy 3rd. I think Price would have a bigger impact than him as well.

Strictly speaking for impact.... and for next year only.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Durant, not close. He's the best player in the NBA when he's healthy, and the player with the most marketing hype in the NBA after James (I bet Durant would even feature on Drake singles :laugh:)

Would be waves of kids in the GTA wearing his jersey (+ around the world). Durant isn't coming here though.. LA, Washington are probably way ahead on his list if he ever decides to become a UFA, which isn't likely.

TheOtherSide

Sep 8, 2008
Ontario
I dont really follow the Raptors but is Durant even a plausible possibility to happen?

He has said that he was a Vince Carter and Toronto Raptors fan when he was young. He is also buddies with Drake.

So those two things have lead to speculation

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Raptors have the cap space for Stamkos, the Leafs don't

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad