Post-Game Talk: Big Bald Babies @ Ravishing Rugged Russians 7:30 PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
not shocked that Wilson played so much given the Ducks habit for dirty play. He can handle the minutes and keeps the cheap stuff to a minimum. He immediately responded to the Orlov hit.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
People gave up on him because he doesn't do anything you expect from a power forward.

He's learning from Williams if anything.

... what?

He does exactly the things that you'd expect from a power forward, especially a young one who is still rounding out his game.

RH is right, asking young talent to grind out wins isn't going to allow their offensive games to flourish at all. The fact that Wilson was good enough at the grinding to pass only hurt his case by allowing him to
"fit in" and look finished, refining his best elements rather than building up weaker ones.

I guess if you don't see it in his ceiling, that's one thing, but it's disingenuous to act like Wilson doesn't play a power forward's game.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Looked a little like the Ducks' first goal tonight... just sayin'

Break will be good for Holtby. His mental game is key to his success and I think after no all star break despite for him, he's a but fried.

Think Fleury's issues can't be fixed with 5 days off

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Speaking of the Penguins, I think I finally identified their biggest weakness after watching them closely this season. Look at their home vs away record, it's night and day. They're unbeatable on home ice, and they're mediocre on the road. A 12-10-5 record in road games including tonight's game, and a -1 goal differential.

There is something about the match ups that bother them on the road. I think there is a way to expose some of their defensemen when they're on the road. Home ice is key to defeating them.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Speaking of the Penguins, I think I finally identified their biggest weakness after watching them closely this season. Look at their home vs away record, it's night and day. They're unbeatable on home ice, and they're mediocre on the road. A 12-10-5 record in road games including tonight's game, and a -1 goal differential.

There is something about the match ups that bother them on the road. I think there is a way to expose some of their defensemen when they're on the road. Home ice is key to defeating them.

Pens are missing a ton of top six players right now.

Still want absolutely NO part of them in the playoffs.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Pens are missing a ton of top six players right now.

Still want absolutely NO part of them in the playoffs.

This has been an ongoing trend since the beginning of the regular season, way before they were hit by injuries. I'd like to avoid them if it were possible, but unless CBJ or NYR takes them out for us, we'll have to beat them ourselves. Might as well get prepared for it.

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
Agreed. Everyone looks tired, heck I'm tired. I look forward to just watching some hockey this week with zero investment.

I will say this though, Ovechkin has carried this franchise (and to a lesser extent the NHL) for 12 years so he will ALWAYS get the benefit of the doubt from me. I think we, as fans, owe him that.

For the first time in Ovy's career, he hasn't be relied on to be the scoring machine. The entire team is scoring. PP, SH, ES all 4 lines. Even Holts looked like he was take a shot V the wings. I think he's waiting for the playoffs to step up his effort. At least that my hope.

Probably going to have to face em.

Maybe. Maybe not. They'll likely have to play either the rags or the jackets in the first round which should be a slug fest. I'd think a Torts coached playoff team would be a pretty decent meat tenderizer. Even if they're not, the CAPS need to learn to take care of their own business and that means beating all comers.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada

Yeah, I mentioned that a few weeks ago. The Pens are not a good road team but they are lights out at home. It is critical for the Caps to finish ahead of them and get home ice advantage if they should happen to meet in the playoffs.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Anyway, sloppy win by the Caps but another 5+ goal effort. History being made here.

Congrats to Sanford on his first career NHL goal. Couldn't have come at a better time. :)

Hopefully the break will help them clear their heads a bit.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Win is a win, not very pretty though.

Holtby needs a break, he has looked a bit sloppy as of late. Strange thing to say when he still gets the win.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
The Sanford's goal ends the Vrana hopes for the 3RW I think, at least for the next 2 games.

Before the game I've said that the break is coming in the good moment.
But after the first period, I was like "hell no, continue to play, delete the break".
But I've changed my mind again after the game. Some guys will be repaired, the D also will reset their mind. I know we get used to good things faster (I'm talking about shutouts). But 4 goals, last game 3 goals is too much, for a playoff games.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Arizona is such a joke. Looked like a home game for the Penguins tonight.

that isn't really fair. Its February and a trip from a place like Pittsburgh to a place like Phoenix is typical. Its that way in Tampa Bay this time of year and they aren't a joke.

change....Just as well the break comes now. After the last two games I think our boys were cruising for a 5-0 beat down of their own.

I kind of hope things get back to normal when they start back. 2-1, 3-0 wins.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
You know Connolly doesn't want a vacation.

Wow, what a goal run we witnessed. Hat's off to Barry for going out of his comfort zone and try a new approach to winning games. Instead of smothering opponents and turtling, he is trying to slaughter opponents for 60 minutes, the score be damned.

I hope Barry joins Ovi on the beach, and doesn't change a thing. Rolls with it, heck even order a pizza, see how this plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad