Bettman visiting Winnipeg to meet with corporate sponsors, host a fireside chat with fans amid declining season ticket sales

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
The networth of the org correlates with those numbers directly. The idea that it doesnt is just delulu. Hard to keep increasing net worth and income of a sports team if theres no positive and profitable revenues from either corporate or domestic support bases coming in to increase it. Its why TNSE and their parent property company have invested hundreds of millions into downtown Winnipeg since relocation, and almost $2bil since 2004.

Neither revenue nor net worth have seen the Jets decline into the red since theyve been here in 2011. Even with the decline in gate revenue from ticket sales and corporate support, theres no evidence to support the Jets were and are losing money (outside of events such as a pandemic and lockout) to an extent that concerns relocation or folding in a decade or so like many detractors of ours on these boards want so badly lol. Neither Chipman, or Bettman have acknowledged or sounded the alarm on such issues.
Ha...delulu. Nice. Well...you can go with your gut feeling on the revenue. I'll go with actual sources like this one:
The Jets have seen “above a 30% drop in the last three years in their season-ticket base,” along with the events in post #5.

Most teams have had dips in attendance and revenue. Jets will be fine.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Ha...delulu. Nice. Well...you can go with your gut feeling on the revenue. I'll go with actual sources like this one:
The Jets have seen “above a 30% drop in the last three years in their season-ticket base,” along with the events in post #5.

Most teams have had dips in attendance and revenue. Jets will be fine.
That doesnt even prove that they arent pulling in revenue at a profit.

Right here, Chipman outright discloses that even with the revenue loss from decreased ticket sales they havent gone into the red. So no, its not a 'gut feeling', though I guess whether you choose to believe him or not is.

The loss of ticket purchasers at a corporate, STH, or General Admission level arent sustainable long term obviously, but the complete capitulation of the organization would require a further mass exodus of supporters which I dont see happening. Despite TNSE and the Jets faults and insufferabilities towards their customers and fans, theyve never been the worst in the league at either of those facets. They can and probably will recoup and gain support as the years go by and if their marketing strategies improve. If the Bombers of the CFL can do it after spending almost a decade in humiliation and in a financially strapped economy and league, then so can the NHL team that is still generating a profit.

So yeah. They will be fine.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Right here, Chipman outright discloses that even with the revenue loss from decreased ticket sales they havent gone into the red. So no, its not a 'gut feeling', though I guess whether you choose to believe him or not is.

The loss of ticket purchasers at a corporate, STH, or General Admission level arent sustainable long term obviously, but the complete capitulation of the organization would require a further mass exodus of supporters which I dont see happening. Despite TNSE and the Jets faults and insufferabilities towards their customers and fans, theyve never been the worst in the league at either of those facets. They can and probably will recoup and gain support as the years go by and if their marketing strategies improve. If the Bombers of the CFL can do it after spending almost a decade in humiliation and in a financially strapped economy and league, then so can the NHL team that is still generating a profit.

So yeah. They will be fine.
I believe him. He's been pretty transparent, so there's no reason not to. But again...based on public pleas and a decline in sales (I'd think the business model is based on selling out about every home game based on arena size), it does need to turn around (it will).

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I know your entire schtick is basically being a contrarian shithead WRT Canadian markets, and damn any evidence otherwise, but for the have nots of Canadian markets (meaning Winnipeg, Ottawa though for how long that applies remains to be seen with new ownership) there's only so many dollars you can squeeze out of the region before you start to hit a hard ceiling in terms of profit, and the Jets have hit that point long ago. Considering how the Jets took on a large group of season ticket holders when the team came into fruition, and proceeded to ride that group of people through the honeymoon period with little benefits or care given to STH's, their feeling was that they could effectively guilt trip people into buying in without anything else added on because people were afraid of losing the Jets for a second time.

Well, now that the Jets are in a weird minus zone of being good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to make deep runs, that's coming back to bite them in the ass. That the Bombers have been consistently good before COVID, and still are even now, means that more people are willing to spend the big money towards Bombers season tickets, or even stuff like the Goldeyes or Sea Bears. For the longest time the Jets were effectively the only game in town even with the Bombers, but now? There's a larger slice of the pie with regards to sports not only in Winnipeg, but also southern Manitoba in general, winter and summer. Jets management realized too late that they need to offer more towards STH's, and more importantly, treat them better.

Considering the fact that downtown Winnipeg is the domain of corporate Manitoba Hydro and MTS employees even before COVID, there's a need to get people into the downtown core now that a lot of work is remote, and most people who come into Winnipeg are realistically going to spend it in Polo Park, St. Vital, or anywhere else on the outer ring of the city. And taking into account that there's a lot of people coming into Winnipeg from First Nation reserves and the far north for medical reasons, that part of it makes sense.

To loop it to the Jets though, I have serious doubts that this ultimately drives much towards the Jets considering the people who are apart of this specific project TNSE are wrapped up in aren't the same people who would go to Jets games. If anything, it raises serious questions as to how much of TNSE owning the downtown core of Winnipeg is enough before people start wondering aloud why.
No my “schtick” is to point out the arrogant attitude by Canadian hockey fans who give no latitude to a non-traditional market, but make every excuse under the sun for a Canadian one. That’s called hypocrisy.

And I’ve heard quite a few times on this board how ANY Canadian market would sell out at an instant regardless of size. See all the foolish suggestions like QC, Halifax, Saskatoon, etc.

So stop making excuses & fill your barn.

Tell that to tsn who had commentator ramblings on Utah getting the coyotes instead of Quebec city
Exactly.

Reactions: joelef

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
hope winnipeg turns things around attendance wise would suck to lose them again. and I know if it continues for 2 long bettman wont hesitate to convince them to move to his next american city he wants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad