Bettman visiting Winnipeg to meet with corporate sponsors, host a fireside chat with fans amid declining season ticket sales

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
From we need more support from corporate a year ago...to we never lost money.

Only lost money on hockey operations. Overall operations, they're fine. Better ticket sales needed for the ability to spend and keep the team competitive.

That is probably the best article I've read in terms of shining a light on the state of TNSE's business, and the insight is coming straight from the horse's mouth.

The bottom line is that the team turns a profit every year, the owners are reinvesting the profits into the arena and surrounding area and the franchise's value is appreciating rapidly. The situation is healthy to say the least.

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
Our attendance issues were/ are a product of our own zest to purchase season tickets when the team arrived. Everyone and their dog was around their pc’s waiting to hit the purchase button. Sold all 13,000 plus tickets in 11 minutes and then had a decade long wait list.
That sounds awesome yes?
The problem turned out that all those tickets were bought by “ Joe Fan”. Business never had the chance.
Now the wait list has dried up and we see that we need businesses to step up and take those 4K tickets now.
The Jets are fine this will be rectified

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
True North deal to revitalize downtown Winnipeg deal done!

Here is the link from Global News Winnipeg:

The Jets are secure for the very very long term. This agreement settles it. At least it should…

More meat on this bone from CBC News

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Pattaya, Thailand
If the arena continues to be half empty and tv ratings keep steadily declining it won’t matter what’s around the arena. It’s time for Jets fans to put up or shut up. Honeymoon period is long over.

Reactions: edog37

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Maybe I am a bit thick, but I don't see how this helps the Jets in any way.
I’m assuming the thought is more traffic should equal more fans wanting to attend a game in person?

If the arena continues to be half empty and tv ratings keep steadily declining it won’t matter what’s around the arena. It’s time for Jets fans to put up or shut up. Honeymoon period is long over.
The Jets are in dire need of a deep playoff run.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It’s another real estate play, like all the other downtown projects around an arena. Though, can’t recall off-hand a medical campus being a major part of any others.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Ownership isn't going to throw in the towel on the team, since it's the main attraction/centerpiece of the development area. Without the Jets and their 41 home games a year, the area would be less attractive for people.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
I’m assuming the thought is more traffic should equal more fans wanting to attend a game in person?

The Jets are in dire need of a deep playoff run.
Why does anyplace in Canada require that? All we keep hearing about is these great Canadian markets would sell out in a minute & that every non-traditional US market has to give up their teams to accommodate that.

Reactions: NextBigThing

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Why does anyplace in Canada require that? All we keep hearing about is these great Canadian markets would sell out in a minute & that every non-traditional US market has to give up their teams to accommodate that.
It’s not 1997 anymore.

Takuto Maruki

Ideal and the real
Dec 13, 2016
Brandon, Manitoba
I know your entire schtick is basically being a contrarian shithead WRT Canadian markets, and damn any evidence otherwise, but for the have nots of Canadian markets (meaning Winnipeg, Ottawa though for how long that applies remains to be seen with new ownership) there's only so many dollars you can squeeze out of the region before you start to hit a hard ceiling in terms of profit, and the Jets have hit that point long ago. Considering how the Jets took on a large group of season ticket holders when the team came into fruition, and proceeded to ride that group of people through the honeymoon period with little benefits or care given to STH's, their feeling was that they could effectively guilt trip people into buying in without anything else added on because people were afraid of losing the Jets for a second time.

Well, now that the Jets are in a weird minus zone of being good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to make deep runs, that's coming back to bite them in the ass. That the Bombers have been consistently good before COVID, and still are even now, means that more people are willing to spend the big money towards Bombers season tickets, or even stuff like the Goldeyes or Sea Bears. For the longest time the Jets were effectively the only game in town even with the Bombers, but now? There's a larger slice of the pie with regards to sports not only in Winnipeg, but also southern Manitoba in general, winter and summer. Jets management realized too late that they need to offer more towards STH's, and more importantly, treat them better.

Though, can’t recall off-hand a medical campus being a major part of any others.
Considering the fact that downtown Winnipeg is the domain of corporate Manitoba Hydro and MTS employees even before COVID, there's a need to get people into the downtown core now that a lot of work is remote, and most people who come into Winnipeg are realistically going to spend it in Polo Park, St. Vital, or anywhere else on the outer ring of the city. And taking into account that there's a lot of people coming into Winnipeg from First Nation reserves and the far north for medical reasons, that part of it makes sense.

To loop it to the Jets though, I have serious doubts that this ultimately drives much towards the Jets considering the people who are apart of this specific project TNSE are wrapped up in aren't the same people who would go to Jets games. If anything, it raises serious questions as to how much of TNSE owning the downtown core of Winnipeg is enough before people start wondering aloud why.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I know your entire schtick is basically being a contrarian shithead WRT Canadian markets, and damn any evidence otherwise, but for the have nots of Canadian markets (meaning Winnipeg, Ottawa though for how long that applies remains to be seen with new ownership) there's only so many dollars you can squeeze out of the region before you start to hit a hard ceiling in terms of profit, and the Jets have hit that point long ago. Considering how the Jets took on a large group of season ticket holders when the team came into fruition, and proceeded to ride that group of people through the honeymoon period with little benefits or care given to STH's, their feeling was that they could effectively guilt trip people into buying in without anything else added on because people were afraid of losing the Jets for a second time.

Well, now that the Jets are in a weird minus zone of being good enough to make the playoffs, but not good enough to make deep runs, that's coming back to bite them in the ass. That the Bombers have been consistently good before COVID, and still are even now, means that more people are willing to spend the big money towards Bombers season tickets, or even stuff like the Goldeyes or Sea Bears. For the longest time the Jets were effectively the only game in town even with the Bombers, but now? There's a larger slice of the pie with regards to sports not only in Winnipeg, but also southern Manitoba in general, winter and summer. Jets management realized too late that they need to offer more towards STH's, and more importantly, treat them better.

Considering the fact that downtown Winnipeg is the domain of corporate Manitoba Hydro and MTS employees even before COVID, there's a need to get people into the downtown core now that a lot of work is remote, and most people who come into Winnipeg are realistically going to spend it in Polo Park, St. Vital, or anywhere else on the outer ring of the city. And taking into account that there's a lot of people coming into Winnipeg from First Nation reserves and the far north for medical reasons, that part of it makes sense.

To loop it to the Jets though, I have serious doubts that this ultimately drives much towards the Jets considering the people who are apart of this specific project TNSE are wrapped up in aren't the same people who would go to Jets games. If anything, it raises serious questions as to how much of TNSE owning the downtown core of Winnipeg is enough before people start wondering aloud why.
Reading the piece, I don’t know if the terminology may be different simply because it’s Canadian, but this is for surgery, it’s for primary care, they’re talking ‘healthcare services’, where I’m from they put all of this in one building and call it a hospital. If this were in Philly, it would be like having an arena at UPenn.

That’s to say nothing of the grocery stores, child care, restaurants, and residential housing among others. It’s a 15-minute city.

Does it drive traffic into the arena? I don’t know. But if they own all the land and get paid by the developers to lease it, and get paid by the city to do it, they’ll be owning the team for fun.

joelef

Nov 22, 2011

so one commentator wow, do you have a link to the one person.

Nice sample size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad