Value of: Better return: Meier vs Jeannot

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Better return?

• Total voters

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Massive overpay by TB for a guy who is basically a third liner at best
Although... many nights last year, Jeannot's line was our best line in Nashville. And many of us were suggesting they ought to bring him up to the 1st or 2nd line and use him on the PP. He was a lot better than "a third liner at best" last year, even considering his high shooting %. This year, the team is a shambles and he has rarely even had his old linemates back with him, let alone the top line opportunity that last season suggested he might be worthy of.

We had a thread on the Preds board before the season started calling for "crazy predictions", and so many people predicted higher goals for Jeannot that it wasn't even really seen as "crazy" anymore. NOBODY would have predicted just 5 goals, that's for sure.

I mean, Eeli Tolvanen had 2 goals for us and was put on waivers. Is he garbage too because he didn't score for the Preds? Things have been really messed up on the ice for the Preds this year.

I know what Tampa is hoping for, anyway, and they have sound reasons. I don't personally believe Jeannot will ever score 20 goals again, but I think the odds are pretty good that he'll still be better than any player the Preds ever get with all those draft picks.

Reactions: Soundgarden

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Looking at the poll results so far, never underestimate the fantastical thinking of magic beans vs. known players.

Jeannot, 1 first in 2025
Meier, 1 first in 2023

Jeannot, 1 second in 2024
Meier, 1 second that can become a first in 2024

Jeannot, Foote, already an NHLer but having some struggles as a 6
Meier, Zetterlund, already a good NHL checking forward

Jeannot, 1 third
Meier, Mukhamadullin, drafted 20th overall in 2020; prospect defenseman

Jeannot, 1 fourth
Meier, Okhotiuk, drafted 61st in 2019; AHL defenseman with NHL potential

Jeannot, 1 fifth
Meier, ...

And people think the Jeannot return is better? Wow.

Last edited:

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Meier's return is better in a vacuum, easily.

Now, if you divide the value of their respective return by the value of Meier or Jeannot... Jeannot wins there, easily.

This. Meier’s return is two 1sts, a recent 1st who’s trending well and more. Jeannot got a 1st, late 2nd, bottom pair D and some later picks. However, relative to their impact, the Jeannot package is a comical haul and the Meier package is around fair value.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Looking at the poll results so far, never underestimate the fantastical thinking of magic beans vs. known players.

Jeannot, 1 first in 2025
<Meier, 1 first in 2023

<Meier, 1 second that can become a first in 2024

Jeannot, 1 third
<Meier, Zetterlund, already a good NHL checking forward

Jeannot, 1 fourth
<Meier, Mukhamadullin, drafted 20th overall in 2020; prospect defenseman

Jeannot, 1 fifth
<Meier, Okhotiuk, drafted 61st in 2019; AHL defenseman with NHL potential

I don't see how anyone can argue this. Especially with that 2025 1st being top 10 protected

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't see how anyone can argue this. Especially with that 2025 1st being top 10 protected

I admit I forgot Foote in my comp... so I plug him in against Zetterlund and that's still a win for SJ. There is no one who would take Foote over Zetterlund at face value. Mak for a third is still easily the Sharks as is Okhotiuk vs. a 4th. But magic beans.

Reactions: Homesick

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018

Jeannot, 1 first in 2025
Meier, 1 first in 2023

Jeannot, 1 third

Jeannot, 1 fourth

Jeannot, 1 fifth
Meier, ...

I imagine being are also comparing this season of the players to their returns.

Sharks got a better return for a much better player.

Reactions: Chainshot

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Who did it better?

in jeannot….

1+2+3+4+5+player

late round 3+4+5= High 3rd
high 3rd+ late 2nd+ player= high 2nd
high 2nd+ late 1st (24-32)= 19-21 OA pick

Gausted+4th to nashville for a 1st…this ended up being 21OA in 2012 fir comparison purposes. Gaustead had a similar role though not the same. He was physical, woukd fight, OK, and a good center at winning draws.

as for Meier….

he’s just under injured Eichel return.

Eichel+3rd for Tuch+ Krebs+1st+2nd

the 1sts thst year were projected to be around the same
Krebs and Muk were recent 1st rounds around the same point in the draft

thrn it’s Tuch+2nd-3rd vs 2nd/1st+ Zett. Buffalo side has the edge when viewing Tuch at time of trade…not how he’s been in buffalo being a ppg player.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I admit I forgot Foote in my comp... so I plug him in against Zetterlund and that's still a win for SJ. There is no one who would take Foote over Zetterlund at face value. Mak for a third is still easily the Sharks as is Okhotiuk vs. a 4th. But magic beans.
That's fine because there's also that 10m QO looming over Meier

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Meier certainly got the better pieces. But, he SHOULD have gotten better pieces because he's the far superior player. IMO the Sharks got a nice return, several pieces ranging from good to very good will immediately fortify their prospect pool.

Jeannot was definitely the bigger overpay.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
There's conditions that could end up giving San Jose another first. Also, let's be real, we all love draft picks but currently Zetterlund is better than anything they received outside the 1st. Did Tampa pay too much? Yeah, probably. Did San Jose get enough? Maybe not. That doesn't mean Jeannot got more because it looks flashy with a bunch of picks.

Reactions: Gecklund

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
Good return on both, but why does someone always have to have the better trade.? We won't know the answer until years later. Some of these picks/ players may not turn out well at all.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
Massive overpay by TB for a guy who is basically a third liner at best
Guy had 20 goals in his rookie season. The price is certainly steep but Tampa is in all in, win now mode and their picks will be late round ones.

They paid a high price for Hagel too. They need impact players who are on cheap contracts. They got another one of those. Jeannot is a 2nd line power forward

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !

Jeannot, 1 first in 2025
Meier, 1 first in 2023

Jeannot, 1 third

Jeannot, 1 fourth

Jeannot, 1 fifth
Meier, ...

Where do the other 4 players SJS gave came into this equation ?

DevilsHughes86

Dance with the Devil
Mar 6, 2007
Laval
Meier got a 1st round pedigree LD, potentially two future 1st round picks.

They also turned four minor league pros into three skaters they likely run on the NHL roster for the remainder of the year.

The Jeannot return, while excessive, was still less than the Meier return.
This is correct, However the Devils received a legit star and the Bolts got a 4th liner. Really depends how you look at it

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

Jeannot, 1 first in 2025
Meier, 1 first in 2023

Jeannot, 1 third

Jeannot, 1 fourth

Jeannot, 1 fifth
Meier, ...

The value of the package for Meier is clearly higher.

The value for the package of Jeannot versus Jeannot's value is however much higher than the value of the package for Meier compared with Meier's value.

Bfan14

Jan 24, 2023
Jeanott is a useful player but plenty surprised that the packages are remotely comparable. I even made light of someone sugggesting he garners a first in the other thread . I was very wrong.
Me as well. Thought his value was maybe a 2nd + reclamation prospect at best.

Tampa just really loves those cheap contract NHL players and will pay a massive premium for it.

We've been wrong before, but I can't see this move working out for them

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Mukhamadullin is underrated in the Meier trade.

These results are totally bizarre. Meier brought in a significantly better return, yet the results say the opposite.

I don't get it.

We don't agree on most things but we agree on this one. Because we agree, it's got to be true bud. Preds did well with Jeannot but the Sharks got a better return.

I think Mukhamadullin is a key piece in the Meier trade. Foot don't have the same potential at this point in time.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
It’s deliberately ambiguous because people view trade returns differently.
Well, then that's deliberately pretty stupid.

Without further specification, folks don't know if you meant relative value or total worth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad