Value of: Better return: Meier vs Jeannot

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Better return?

• Total voters

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Relative to value it's Jeannot AINEC.

Pure value Meier got more.

Question is unclear which I assume is why it's around 50/50 right now.
It’s deliberately ambiguous because people view trade returns differently.

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
Meier's return is better in a vacuum, easily.

Now, if you divide the value of their respective return by the value of Meier or Jeannot... Jeannot wins there, easily.
This is the only correct response. When you look at the year Jeannot has had it’s definitely overpayment. However he’ll probably do great in TB

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Meier got a 1st round pedigree LD, potentially two future 1st round picks.

They also turned four minor league pros into three skaters they likely run on the NHL roster for the remainder of the year.

The Jeannot return, while excessive, was still less than the Meier return.
I disagree. First off Harrington isn’t a minor leaguer he’s playing on their top pair with Karlsson. Meier only got one guaranteed 1st. They have two shots to make it a second but it’s far from an easy ask for a young core with no playoff experience. That Russian D man is New Jerseys what? 5th or 6th best prospect? Zetterlund is a decent young player but overall the Meier trade is a lot of quantity over quality.

Reactions: themelkman

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Predators turned an undrafted player into a bottom six NHL player into a bonanza of picks including a first rounder. Add a second former first rounder, a young, big right shooting defenseman and this is a trade for the ages. Grier getting a volume deal on the top trade asset that doesn't include one of Jersey's elite prospects is a pretty pedestrian return. Jersey netting a plus sized 30 goal player without carving into its top prospects is an absolute win.

Reactions: themelkman

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
I can't believe there are people seriously answering Jeannot in this poll. Zetterlund by himself might be worth the Jeannot return, which is a likely late 1st and a bunch of nothing assets.

Man, HF and its love affair with f***ing draft picks... In 5 years, when these draft picks have a name (and a likely non-NHL career), people will have a very different opinion about the strength of those returns.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I can't believe there are people seriously answering Jeannot in this poll. Zetterlund by himself might be worth the Jeannot return, which is a likely late 1st and a bunch of nothing assets.

Man, HF and its love affair with f***ing draft picks... In 5 years, when these draft picks have a name (and a likely non-NHL career), people will have a very different opinion about the strength of those returns.
Why would Zetterlund have that kind of value?

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Why would Zetterlund have that kind of value?

Admittedly, part of it is that I like Zetterlund. But think of it this way:

An average NHL draft will produce about 40 solid NHL players (guys who don't have just a cup of coffee). So an average NHL team's draft will yield about 1.25 solid NHLer. It would be less for a team that drafts late (like, say, Tampa or NJ) since so many of those players come from the first 20 picks. So let's say that for those teams, an average outcome for an entire draft's worth of picks would be roughly to get one young, cost controlled, useful NHLer. Like Zetterlund (if you like him like I do), or Jeannot.

Well, a draft 's worth of picks from a team that picks late is more-or-less what Tampa gave up for Jeannot. Honestly, I exaggerated a bit, I wouldn't give that up for Zetterlund, unless I felt he really filled a need (which Tampa clearly felt about Jeannot), but I don't think the value's that far-off either. Then add to this a couple of first rounders, a top prospect, an okay prospect... The value's not even close between the two returns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad