Best NHL Jerseys of All Time

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
^^^ Even though I didn't like the removal of the shoulder yokes, these are still miles better than their current jersey for me because of the gold socks and the gold B in the logo...

Reactions: Killion

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
stan-mikita-of-the-chicago-blackhawks-skates-with-the-puck-as-dennis-picture-id156924525
canadian-professional-ice-hockey-player-johnny-bucyk-of-the-boston-picture-id71471110

It's difficult to find a color picture of the Kansas City Scouts in action wearing their home jerseys. I always thought they had one of the best.

Scouts1.png

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Wow. Those are interesting & rarely published, seen. Kansas City Scouts.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
In no particular order:

-Black Canucks jersey
-Original Mighty Ducks white jersey
-Original Jets white jersey

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Best jerseys mega-post:

• Anaheim, late 90s, eggplant, #9, size small, with Kariya looking like he's ready to take on monsters twice his size from behind a big spaceman visor.
  • Arizona, late 90s, black, #7, with Keith Tkachuk's big ol' head poking out of that ridiculous patterned turtleneck collar, as loud and abrasive on the eyes as Keith battling in the corners.
  • Boston, 70s, black, #4, preferably turned 90 degrees forward to accomodate a flying Bobby Orr.
  • Buffalo, 70s, white, #11, with Gilbert Perreault in mid-stride. I don't actually think this has a great logo (not a fan of any of the "stuff in a circle" jobs from this era - looking at you, Islanders, Jets, Scouts), but none of the other logos were good either.
  • Calgary, 80s, red, #9, with Lanny McDonald's mustache fitting the colour scheme exactly.
  • Carolina, now, red, #53, with Jeff Skinner's little-kid grin
  • Chicago, early 90s, red, #30, with Ed Belfour's helmet on top. Really could have gone with any Hawks jersey since they got their logo right in 1965, but those eagles take the cake.
  • Colorado, late 90s, burgundy, #22, with Claude Lemieux stupid face underneath that giant globe shaped black bucket.
  • Columbus, pass. Nothing really bad about their overall look, but none have ever stuck out to me as definitive.
  • Dallas, late 90s, black/green star, #9, flapping in the wind behind Mike Modano.
  • Detroit, 50s, red, #9. It could have been any number of great Red Wings, but Gordie wore it best.
  • Edmonton, early 00s, navy blue spawn jersey, #94, with Ryan Smyth not giving a damn about whether your stuff-in-a-circle Islanders-colours jersey is more revered.
  • Florida, mid 90s, red, #34, with Beezer's snarling cat helmet.
  • Los Angeles, 70s, forum blue, #30, with Rogie Vachon's matching mask. I like Gretzky's Raiders look too, but the tie goes to the unique, bright colour scheme.
  • Minnesota, late 00s, red, #10, with Gaborik in top gear. Yes, the Christmas tree jersey, particularly with the shoulder piping that Reebok introduced. Would rather they made version with the green and red parts swapped, but the pattern really works for them.
  • Montreal, 50s, red, #9. So many similar great choices, but only the Rocket has a classic kids book written about his shirt.
  • Nashville, mid 10s, gold (after they settle on a unique vibrant look but before they messed up the trimming), #6, with Shea Weber's beard.
  • New Jersey, late 90s, red, #4, with Steven's Stone Cold Steve Austin goatee and psycho eyes.
  • Islanders, early 80s, white, #19, with Brian Trottier's mustache. If they can build a good jersey around their superior lighthouse logo, stick #91 on it and this one changes.
  • Rangers, mid 90s, white, #11. Really, could have gone with any Rangers white jerseys, but put them on Messier and they're terrifying.
  • Ottawa, mid 90s, white, #28, with Steve Duchesne's aura of veteran confidence. All of the truly great Senators have played on teams with mostly bad jersey redesigns, so I don't picture Alfie, Redden, Spezza or Karlsson wearing anything good.
  • Philadelphia, mid 90s, white, #88 size large. Lindros' imposing figure is a big part of it, but I really like the thin black border around the shoulder yoke, and wish they kept it.
  • Pittsburgh, mid 00s, black, #87, with the Vegas gold chevrons on Sid the Actual Kid. I actually really liked the Pens having a noticeably different colour scheme than the Bruins, and the triangle patterns were far superior to the garbage Reebok cooked up for them a year later.
  • St. Louis, early 00s, blue, #44 size large for Pronger. Brought back the classic stripe-y shoulder yokes, but the double-blue adds some nice contrast.
  • San Jose, early 90s, teal #32, with Arturs Irbe's sketchy Latvian equipment.
  • Tampa, pass. I'd like to give a nod to how great Andreychuk looked with the cup, but the 3D lightning bold and birthday hat font are unacceptable. Not a fan of the Detronto Blue Wings either. Add victory stripes and black trim to the current one, and we're cooking.
  • Toronto, mid 60s, white, #1, with Johnny Bower looking 93 in his late 30s.
  • Vancouver, pass. I have fond memories of Bure, McLean, etc. in the Team Germany colours, but I just can't say the Canucks have ever gotten their look right. I have no idea what colours, images or graphic motifs I'm supposed to associate with this franchise, and any positive images I do have come from a few interesting players themselves.
  • Washington, late 90s, white, #17 with Chris Simon's hair flowing over the back. Not a fan of the wordmark, would reconsider this one if they built a good set around the weagle.
  • Winnipeg, early 90s, white, #13, with Teemu Selanne shooting down a glove.
Honourable mention to the dark Maroons sweater, anything worn by the Hartford Whalers, the "stars everywhere" Americans sweater, the red Barons jersey with the Ohio patch, the white Rockies jersey, and the light blue Nordiques jersey.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Quite the post Johnny! :laugh: ..... and surely the Canucks must hold the record since 67's Expansion for wardrobe changes & malfunction-dysfunctions crimes against fashion no?.... Yet oddly, Versace came out with a $1200 "jersey" or top, pullover that looks an awful lot like the jerseys you mention as worn by Bure', McLean et al just recently. So if it caught the eye of that high fashion house, clearly inspired them must have had something going for it though I sure didnt like it then or now for that matter. Picture of the Versace top floating around somewhere but I couldnt find it....

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Agreed Johnny Engine, on the aforementioned Kariya's, Weber's and...
Colorado, late 90s, burgundy, #21, with Claude Lemieux stupid face underneath that giant globe shaped black bucket.
hockey-colorado-avalanche-claude-lemieux-during-game-vs-phoenix-az-picture-id81371028

It does seem like a shame to change the Habs jersey. It's a classic.
Montreal, 50s, red, #9. So many similar great choices, but only the Rocket has a classic kids book written about his shirt.
Maurice%2BRichard%2B28%2Bde%25CC%2581cembre%2B1944.jpeg

And though Marleau in the black jersey I like more, I do like this a lot too:
San Jose, early 90s, teal #32, with Arturs Irbe's sketchy Latvian equipment.
arturs-irbe-jpg.126547

On Oates wing he almost became a 30-goal scorer.
Washington, late 90s, white, #17 with Chris Simon's hair flowing over the back. Not a fan of the wordmark, would reconsider this one if they built a good set around the weagle.
nov-1999-chris-simon-of-the-washington-capitals-waits-on-the-ice-a-picture-id492560

The jersey yeah. but not the goalie mask:
Honourable mention to... the red Barons jersey with the Ohio patch...
cb2212b6e98d05905e36d25613da57e4--goalie-mask-hockey-goalie.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Great shot of the Coyotes Kachina jersey & really IMO, one of the nicest in terms of design, logo, absolutely everything to ever be produced. Shame they changed & why they didnt re-adopt it when they altered their Gretzky-era jerseys a few years back I dont know. That things a a work of art, real piece of work. Beautifully executed. The Coyote name, the creature itself (shapeshifter, portent of things past & or to come) all part of the mythology of the Kachina, Hopi & native NA Indian tribes belief system throughout the Southwest. Its appealing, appeals to people on multiple levels....

The re-designed jerseys with a nod to the old CCCP jerseys, the logo of the "Howling Coyote" designed by noted graphic comic book artist Todd McFarlane (Spawn & others, McFarlane NHL collectible player models etc) I'm sorry, just doesnt come close to the full concept & logo of the Coyotes Kachina logo/jerseys. McFarlanes originally from Alberta & at one time owned a minority share in the Calgary Flames though resides much of the year in Arizona, friends with Gretzky & others. They had a new home in 2004 out in Glendale, change, and change is good but sometimes full change, changing up everything for the sake of change not a good thing. This would be one of those cases.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

Not a fan of the Av's jersey nor of their name actually Ceremony.... Sorry..... Not big on names that have to do with climate, natural or man made disasters, planets n' whatnot, cartoon characters or movie franchises etc.... Yes I know, Im' "difficult"..... If Colorado had called themselves something like the "Silver Miners" then to me, my way of thinking, far more interesting & evocative. Then theyve got those stoopid "Bigfoot" paws on their shoulders. WTF is that? Where are the bodies? Wheres the actual trace DNA & indisputable photographic evidence that proves that such a Cryptid even exists? Its a matter of ridicule. Something drunken attention seeking Yaboos promulgate... brain damaged. Why would you want a symbol that all of that conjures up on your uniforms?... Then theres the colors, that hideous "silver-like" trim... The massively over-sized logo.... honestly, Helen Keller could have done a better job of it.

Reactions: SealsFan

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
the jersey yeah. but not the goalie mask:

cb2212b6e98d05905e36d25613da57e4--goalie-mask-hockey-goalie.jpg
Except that that's the second-year Barons jersey, without the aforementioned Ohio patch. This is the first-year jersey that was being mentioned, with the numbers inside the Ohio patch on the sleeve:
clevelandbarons21.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ See, I like that # in the State patch, but that main chest logo..... not diggin it, never did. Coulda been way better..... and speaking of Ohio.... I do love the Blue Jackets jerseys, uniforms, brilliant. Cannons & so on. Very clean, smart, evocative.

Reactions: SealsFan

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Killion said: I do love the Blue Jackets jerseys, uniforms, brilliant. Cannons & so on. Very clean, smart, evocative.

Columbus started out with what I consider an essential, traditional feature -- the bold waist striping -

9d4ed27dcb459497.jpg

and then deteriorated into what I consider the "practice jersey" look --

BlueJackets10.png

where only their third jersey was able to harken back to a traditional look. I really like that third jersey, the others, ugh...

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
As for the logo & name, why Calgary didnt change it a decision I for one though & still think pretty absurd. They should have, something more identifiable, evocative of the city, western culture.

I had heard that Nelson Skalbania felt strongly that he didn't want a "cliched" cowboy name for the team (Cowboys had been tossed around for a couple of years while relocation rumors were being reported prior to the actual sale) and ultimately decided that because Calgary was an oil city, and he was amused by the idea that flames could be found on the top of an oil derrick implying that the Calgary nickname was "on top" of the Edmonton nickname.

Just months after the Flames began play in Calgary, the city was awarded the 1988 Winter Olympics and the Olympic Flame - and the torch-like flame sometimes found on the top of the Calgary tower since then also tie-in quite nicely - however retroactively that is.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Killion said: I do love the Blue Jackets jerseys, uniforms, brilliant. Cannons & so on. Very clean, smart, evocative.

Columbus started out with what I consider an essential, traditional feature -- the bold waist striping -

9d4ed27dcb459497.jpg

Columbus, rather strangely, seemed a bit confused about their identity and even what their team nickname was supposed to represent.

They genesis of their name goes back to the Civil War and the fact that the state of Ohio contributed more soldiers to the Union Army then any other state and the blue coats worn by that army were manufactured in Columbus. The logo featured thirteen stars to represent the original thirteen colonies with big star prominently featured at the top of the crest symbolizing Columbus as capitol city of Ohio. All of this speaks to this past (and subsequently their blue third jersey, which prominently featured a canon, also acknowledged this.) However, at the same time, they also seemed to use a completely different definition for Blue Jackets, like they were describing an insect. So strangely, on your Union army inspired uniform, you have a shoulder patch featuring an insect named "Stinger."

Odd.

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
^^^ Great shot of the Coyotes Kachina jersey & really IMO, one of the nicest in terms of design, logo, absolutely everything to ever be produced. Shame they changed & why they didnt re-adopt it when they altered their Gretzky-era jerseys a few years back I dont know. That things a a work of art, real piece of work. Beautifully executed. The Coyote name, the creature itself (shapeshifter, portent of things past & or to come) all part of the mythology of the Kachina, Hopi & native NA Indian tribes belief system throughout the Southwest. Its appealing, appeals to people on multiple levels....

The re-designed jerseys with a nod to the old CCCP jerseys, the logo of the "Howling Coyote" designed by noted graphic comic book artist Todd McFarlane (Spawn & others, McFarlane NHL collectible player models etc) I'm sorry, just doesnt come close to the full concept & logo of the Coyotes Kachina logo/jerseys. McFarlanes originally from Alberta & at one time owned a minority share in the Calgary Flames though resides much of the year in Arizona, friends with Gretzky & others. They had a new home in 2004 out in Glendale, change, and change is good but sometimes full change, changing up everything for the sake of change not a good thing. This would be one of those cases.

agreed

i really wish the yotes would go back to that design. in my opinion, probably the most beautiful sweater in NHL history

the colors, the design, the logo. everything about that sweater was on point

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
agreed

i really wish the yotes would go back to that design. in my opinion, probably the most beautiful sweater in NHL history

the colors, the design, the logo. everything about that sweater was on point

I agree with you as well. The Coyotes original uniforms were very unique and it's a real shame that they changed them upon the move from Phoenix to Glendale. The current uniforms are nondescript in appearance compared to the originals. That's not to say that the new logo is not nice but the overall current look is rather bland.
Coyotes01.png
Coyotes17.png

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Columbus, rather strangely, seemed a bit confused about their identity and even what their team nickname was supposed to represent.

They genesis of their name goes back to the Civil War and the fact that the state of Ohio contributed more soldiers to the Union Army then any other state and the blue coats worn by that army were manufactured in Columbus. The logo featured thirteen stars to represent the original thirteen colonies with big star prominently featured at the top of the crest symbolizing Columbus as capitol city of Ohio. All of this speaks to this past (and subsequently their blue third jersey, which prominently featured a canon, also acknowledged this.) However, at the same time, they also seemed to use a completely different definition for Blue Jackets, like they were describing an insect. So strangely, on your Union army inspired uniform, you have a shoulder patch featuring an insect named "Stinger."

Odd.

Not really. The Stinger logo is a wasp or "yellow jacket" dressed in the Union "blue jacket." It's like a two-tier double entendre. Very clever.

Last edited:

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
We have extremely different interpretations of the word "clever" it seems.

Seeing as you rambled on for a paragraph without any semblance of what the connection was at all, clever doesn't seem to applicable at all here on your part.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Seeing as you rambled on for a paragraph without any semblance of what the connection was at all, clever doesn't seem to applicable at all here on your part.

So when I pointed out that they goofily used an insect (a yellow jacket) to play of their nickname (a blue jacket) you think that was me not understanding the connection? As I was literally laying out the connection you think it's simultaneously not having any semblance of what the connection is?

Seriously?

The entire post was about how they went with the insect side of the "Jacket" name and the Civil War side of the "Jacket" name.

If you're going to accuse people of not understanding something, it's generally a good idea to have a clue what you're talking about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad