Best NHL Jerseys of All Time

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Back before it meant anything to me (i.e., 1996 and earlier) I remember feeling it was in the realm of the Clippers, Pacers, Islanders as ugly, un-marketable names that seemed like leftovers from another era. I never, ever heard anything about the Whalers name or logo being a classic when people talked about the NHL.

Seems there's a pretty heavy retro-filter applied to it. Just IMO.
Throughout the 80's and into the 90's the Whalers logo was omni-present in every single conversation about the best logos in the NHL or even sport.

Reactions: Whaleafs

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
meloche.jpg

howes.jpg

Original WHA Whalers (politically incorrect but hey, I like them,
love Whales too, not conflicted) & Seals a couple of my favorites
Yeah, those Seals unis are beautiful.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
^^^ Yep. Always loved the Blues uniform, logo's brilliant, great color combination.... though why you'd post a pic of one of their many fashion crimes over the years in messing it up with "Blues" written across the front like that I dont know Bexly. :(

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Seriously?

There are several much better Wings jerseys in hockey history.

I have HATED the Wings (in the 90's) but the franchise have had some sweet knitted jerseys with strings.

That red collared, Stanley Cup clashin' jersey shouldn't make any Detrit fan's top 5, unless of course Steve Yzerman signed it or something.

Here is a waaaaaaaaaay cooler Wings jersey, and not just because Gordie's wearing it.

gordie-how-900px.jpg

I wish I could find that ol' Wings knitted jersey with the strings. It's over a half century old but I can't recall on whom I saw it and thought: "Man, I'd wear that." And I ain't no Wings fan!

Dont care what you think, stick to baby blue and mustard Mr. Objective.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I think this is probably my favorite one, ever, in the NHL:

Montreal-Canadiens-Heritage-Home-1944-Sweater-N573_XL.jpg

It just looks so classy, clean, and uncluttered. (And I prefer the 'white' jerseys in general.)

I agree with the page 1 poster who nominated the Gretzky-Kings'-era jerseys, especially in his first two or three seasons there:

36029_01_lg.jpg

As far as the worst goes, it has to be any of the mid-to-late-90s' ones that were introduced, with the ridiculous "angled" lines on the arms and the super-complex logos (such as sampled on page one of this thread). Those were brutal. St.Louis's were particularly ugly in the mid-to-late-90s, as were most of the Ducks' ones.

I have to agree that Vancouver takes the prize as worst-jersey franchise. I don't even know how to begin to explain their ineptitude in basic graphic design. I just don't like Blue and Green in combination on sweaters (so I don't like the Whalers' ones), and the only thing worse than that was the 80s' ones, which defy description:

VCanucksRCCMV82RJB.jpg

But they're all terrible:
images
s-l225.jpg
mcKGMq0inY8GZYxnIS3-umw.jpg
images

Also, why have they had so many logos, all of them bad? The 'zooming skate' I sort-of get. The orca logo is just ugly. And what's with the hockey-stick one? Is that supposed to be a 'C', or is it just a stick for no particular reason?

I liked the 95 canucks jersey. The balck one. Other than that yea I agree. Nucks always had the bad end when it comes to jerseys.

VancouverCanucks92-93jersey.jpg

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Hobnobs and I agree on squat these days, it seems.

The home white jerseys rocked everyone I knew back in Kamloops. It was RARE to see anyone who had bought the road black.

linden-skate.jpg

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
... call me weird.... been called a lot worse.... but I liked the Nucks' "Flying V" aka "Halloween Uni's".... the original circa 70 "Hockey Stick" & retro throwback they came out with a few years back. Not a fan of the above including their latest iteration/design.... I mean seriously VanIsle, that logo is just too big & busy for my tastes. Its wearing the player, he's not wearing it... and ya I know I know, Heresy. :naughty:

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I admire how the Penguins and Oilers decided a few years ago to go back to their early color schemes. I wish more teams had the guts to do that instead of beating a dead horse. Teams like the Kings and Stars are constantly evolving into some ugly jerseys, instead of embracing their best ones (Gretzky era for the Kings and late 90's for the Stars)

Reactions: Whaleafs

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
I always thought the combination of the Toronto Maple Leafs blues and the Los Angeles Kings whites always looked the best as far as two uniforms in game action. Greatest of all time:

cropped_gretzky.jpg

Have to agree, despite how triggering that picture is.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
I think this is probably my favorite one, ever, in the NHL:

Montreal-Canadiens-Heritage-Home-1944-Sweater-N573_XL.jpg

It just looks so classy, clean, and uncluttered. (And I prefer the 'white' jerseys in general.)

I've always thought the one you posted was the nicest Habs jersey by far. Especially with the white on white numbers. (Ignoring the name plate foul)
s-l300.jpg

Last edited:

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
howes.jpg

Original WHA Whalers (politically incorrect but hey, I like them,
love Whales too, not conflicted) & Seals a couple of my favorites

I have to agree with you Killion. The WHA Whalers uniforms were very nice with the kelly green and gold colors. I actually thought they were nicer than the NHL Whalers uniforms.

161570112.jpg

s-gordie-howe-of-the-hartford-whalers-skates-against-the-boston-at-picture-id87129443

Reactions: Killion

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
2eba51094f715e361ae157dfafdff6f5.jpg

This one-year iteration ('69-'70) of the original Oakland Seals jersey with the white shoulder yoke is my favorite of theirs.

xdetdelv_200805214.jpg

Simple design with only two colors but I like how the shoulder yoke encroaches onto the red sleeves.

stanmikita2.jpg

A work of art....

I really can't stop at three. So many great jerseys...

Reactions: Killion

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
My favorite would have to be the those used by the Winnipeg Jets in the Heritage Classic game on October 23, 2016 as well as 2 other times during the 2016-17 season. The uniforms were based on those worn by the WHA Winnipeg Jets and should have been carried forward when the Jets joined the NHL in 1979. Unfortunately, Jets GM John Ferguson decided to switch to a replica of those worn by the New York Rangers from 1976 to 1978 when he was their GM.

mark-scheifele-of-the-winnipeg-jets-plays-in-the-2016-tim-hortons-nhl-picture-id620894084
plr279x2.jpg

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Whalers jerseys are overrated. I like the Nordiques one better. Nicer colors and a bit more expressionistic.

I actually semi-like the Picasso Coyotes jerseys. They are still pretty ugly but there's something Tkachuk-Tverdovsky late 90s feeling about them I can tolerate, which is strange because I dislike Tkachuk and is indifferent towards Tverdovsky. I visited the States in the late 90s and I remember seeing Greg Adams on television in that jersey thinking he was past his prime. He still scored at a 50-point pace though.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
^^^ Yep. Always loved the Blues uniform, logo's brilliant, great color combination.... though why you'd post a pic of one of their many fashion crimes over the years in messing it up with "Blues" written across the front like that I dont know Bexly. :(
Even stranger than adding the giant "BLUES" above the note was adding the tiny "St. Louis" on the note. Just a mess design-wise.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I liked the 95 canucks jersey. The balck one. Other than that yea I agree. Nucks always had the bad end when it comes to jerseys.

VancouverCanucks92-93jersey.jpg

The strange thing about this sweater, from a design point of view, is the odd choice to have the Canucks word mark and logo plummeting downwards. Generally you would think they would got for shooting skyward, but this logo, rather strangely, is plummeting down.

Also very odd is the space inside the two "C's" in the word mark. On the white sweater, it looks fine, but here on the black sweater, we actually see white in those spaces. It should be black like the rest of the logo. It's like they simply forgot to re-color that for the black sweater. Again, very very strange.

Last edited:
Reactions: SealsFan

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Even stranger than adding the giant "BLUES" above the note was adding the tiny "St. Louis" on the note. Just a mess design-wise.

Ya that was a strange one. Like we dont know where your from? Wouldnt be any wiser if someone didnt know as it would be too small to read unless you were right up close to it..... Vancouver again with their name plastered across the front... some however in terms of extremes, like this one below without the name written & all those feathers everywhere would have overwhelmed the logo however in the case of "Vancouver" over top of the 'C' & Whale logo it overwhelms, top heavy. Needless. Not just fashion blind but stunned.

PortWntrHwks_25yr00-01_TravisMit-1.gif

^^^ As for this.... remove the Nike swoosh, number, name & logo & it looks like a smock from a beauty parlor circa 1950's early 60's in some low market part of town.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The strange thing about this sweater, from a design point of view, is the odd choice to have the Canucks word mark and logo plummeting downwards. Generally you would think they would got for shooting skyward, but this logo, rather strangely, is plummeting down.

Also very odd is the space inside the two "C's" in the word mark. On the white sweater, it looks fine, but here on the black sweater, we actually see white in those spaces. It should be black like the rest of the logo. It's like they simply forgot to re-color that for the black sweater. Again, very very strange.

It's moving up from a left to right direction, so I don't know how that's plummeting...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad