Best NHL Jerseys of All Time

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
....So strangely, on your Union army inspired uniform, you have a shoulder patch featuring an insect named "Stinger."

Odd.

According to nhl.com's story on the genesis of the jersey design, "Stinger" there was/is the Team Mascot, representative of the "hard working people of Columbus & Ohio", arrived at in a name the team/mascot contest. So that explains why it was created, included on the jersey... Uncle Leo above then suggests further that the selection of "Stinger" did in fact have unexpected & both interesting and amusing and I believe.... unintended consequences & ramifications, a subtle form of not only double entendre but really triple, pre-dating the Civil War as Napoleon as well had adopted the Bee (not the wasp but the Bee) in various forms as a symbol of the industrious nature of the country & people of France. And thats very interesting, some synergies, dots that one connect there between the French Republic & the US, the Civil War etc... So, its all fun. You can play with it, Yellow Jacket / Blue Jacket & so on... I like Stinger, the Cannons, main Logo & colors, whole package. Did a brilliant job of it but for some of the alterations made over the years.

Reactions: Whaleafs

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Not a fan of the Av's jersey nor of their name actually Ceremony.... Sorry..... Not big on names that have to do with climate, natural or man made disasters, planets n' whatnot, cartoon characters or movie franchises etc.... Yes I know, Im' "difficult"..... If Colorado had called themselves something like the "Silver Miners" then to me, my way of thinking, far more interesting & evocative. Then theyve got those stoopid "Bigfoot" paws on their shoulders. WTF is that? Where are the bodies? Wheres the actual trace DNA & indisputable photographic evidence that proves that such a Cryptid even exists? Its a matter of ridicule. Something drunken attention seeking Yaboos promulgate... brain damaged. Why would you want a symbol that all of that conjures up on your uniforms?... Then theres the colors, that hideous "silver-like" trim... The massively over-sized logo.... honestly, Helen Keller could have done a better job of it.
I think it's quite telling that of the 90s expansion teams (Sharks, Senators, Tampa Bay, Ducks, Panthers, Stars, Avalanche, Coyotes, Hurricanes, Predators and Thrashers) the Avalanche have been the team to have kept their design and branding as consistent as possible. Obviously teams like the Sharks and Senators still have the same colours and immediately recognisable appearance, but they persist with somewhat ugly jerseys when much better concepts float round the internet and actually exist, in the case of the Sharks' throwback alternate last year. Even for all of your (entirely serious, I'm sure) criticism there's nothing about the colours or the general layout of the jerseys, which to me suggests some amount of lasting worth/impact. You see some of the things the 90s gave the world of fashion (such as the Nordiques concepts that never came to be) and the basic Avalanche look surviving 20 years later shows how good it was.

I'd also say that the jersey/logo/Forsberg combination is a significantly better look than one of the originally mooted concepts, the, er, Rocky Mountain Xtreme: Colorado Avlanche nearly named Rocky Mountain Extreme

extreme-495x247.png

I think one universal truth of design is that "it could have always been worse," so just let that sink in.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I'd also say that the jersey/logo/Forsberg combination is a significantly better look than one of the originally mooted concepts, the, er, Rocky Mountain Xtreme: Colorado Avlanche nearly named Rocky Mountain Extreme

I think one universal truth of design is that "it could have always been worse," so just let that sink in.

Yes indeed... and thats a good one (not!)..... ideal as the working title for a Warren Miller or whomever/whatever "extreme" ski/boarding & or mountain biking, para-gliding & wingsuit flying, whitewater rafting & kayaking, climbing or whatever film but for an NHL club?... You kiddin me?..... Ive seen some articles over the years here & there of "rejected" names for NHL teams but I'd not heard of this one before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad