Best D-Man since Lidstrom?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Best Defenceman since Lidstrom?

• Total voters

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
You could, but I don't think it would be a very compelling argument.

How so? top 3 in voting for best defenseman, 5 years in a row. Won a conn smythe and stanley cup last year.
What players have been a lot better than him, so much better that you cant even argue that hes been the best?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
How so? top 3 in voting for best defenseman, 5 years in a row. Won a conn smythe and stanley cup last year.
What players have been a lot better than him, so much better that you cant even argue that hes been the best?

Starts with Mc ends with David, and it's not even close.

Reactions: Voight

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I was going to go Hedman but I feel like thats recency bias. Keith was a big factor in the Hawks dynasty years. I think maybe slightly more impactful than Hedman relatively but its almost a wash. Keith also has some slightly better international medals although Hedman hasnt gotten the chance in his prime. But really....Olympic medals should be best on best....Hedman doesnt have that.

IMO another cup and a couple medals and another Norris and he will have matched Keith.

Reactions: User9992

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Best player is Karlsson. Best career is definitely going to be Hedman, if he isn't already. Among the listed players, Hedman is behind only Chara for most Norris finalists (5x) and I'm pretty sure he'll get a few more. Has a smythe and other great playoff runs. Has a cup and chances to win more in Tampa. Ticks every box. Only argument for better career imo is Keith. Keith's 2015 smythe run is better than anything Hedman has done. But Hedman is a 5x Norris finalist, with potential to add, vs 2x for Keith. 5x AST vs 3x for Keith. That gap is bigger than Keith having a better smythe run. Today it's a coin flip, but by the time he's done it should comfortably be Hedman.

Last edited:

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
If you're not voting for Karlsson you fall under these three categories.
1. You don't know a thing about hockey - a fair weather fan (nothing wrong with that)
2. You only watched small clips of Karlsson when he'd made a mistake - you know because he's human.
3. You have a strong hate for Karlsson for whatever irrelevant reason

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
1. You don't know a thing about hockey - a fair weather fan (nothing wrong with that)
2. You only watched small clips of Karlsson when he'd made a mistake - you know because he's human.

Sure thing bud.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
best dman at their peak no doubt Karlsson. Him and Stone taking Ottawa to the top 4 with a trash team was remarkable. That to while injured.

He's bad now but people forget how insanely good he was.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

EbMZsY.gif

Bustedprospect

Mar 10, 2006
Hedman. With 5 straight nominations, 1 Norris, 1 Smythe, and 1 cup he is clearly the best of his generation. Looking very consistent and could string a nice career if this continues.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It was actually in the 2015 Cup Finals that I realized Hedman was the real deal. I think in the first 3 games of that series Kane had 0 points, was a -2, only put up 3 shots in game 1 and 0 in both game 1 & 2. A lot of that was Victor Hedman.

I guess i just have a fundamental disagreement with a lot of hockey fans here but I can’t see how it’s possible to wish you had Karlsson as your team’s #1 Dman rather than Kieth/Hedman. We’ve watched a lot of Cup Finals with Kieth/Doughty/Hedman in them and it’s crystal clear having a #1 D being not only elite on offense but who can also shut down opponent’s best forwards game in and game out when the games matter most is the way better way to go.

Use the “strength of team” excuse if you want but it’s blatant that Karlsson’s type of skill-set isn’t good enough to win Cups. And this new wave of young, offensively-elite, dmen coming through the league are going to have the same lack of results Karlsson did. You’ve gotta be able to play elite-shutdown defense to win in the playoffs. Bottom line

It’s not even worth arguing about anymore because we’ve been doing it since like 2013. Just a fundamental disagreement, which is fine. Karlsson was so awesome to watch play. Definitely must-see hockey whenever he was on the ice, but I’ll always think Kieth/Doughty/Hedman were better.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Hedman. With 5 straight nominations, 1 Norris, 1 Smythe, and 1 cup he is clearly the best of his generation. Looking very consistent and could string a nice career if this continues.
I think with 1 Norris, 1 Symthe, and 518P in 816GP + 84P in 124 postseason GP (total = 602P in 940GP), at 30 years old, Victor Hedman has already strung together a nice career IMO. Probably first ballot HHOFer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad