Best D-Man since Lidstrom?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Best Defenceman since Lidstrom?

• Total voters

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'd have to say right now Keith since his story is just about written.

A little too early to call the race on Karlsson-Doughty-Hedman imo. They're just barely about at Lidstrom's real dominance starting line with lots of potential racetrack left.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Best? Karlsson
Best career since Lidstrom? Keith
Best career at the same time as Lidstrom? Chara
Best now? Hedman

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
These are all great players, but overall kind of a weak era for defensemen.

If I had to pick one, probably Keith.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Keith, Chara and Hedman for sustained time at the top but Karlsson probably the best at his best. Voted Hedman on expectation don't really see his career taking a nosedive

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think in 10 years, there is a high chance that the right answer will be Makar.
Maybe.

I mean, PK Subban was just a freaking awesome player and then dropped off. Injuries get in the way, players decline or are put into different roles... long way to go.

Hedman has like five straight years of being in the top three and probably would've won some more if he'd had complete sesasons. He's really good and he's on a great team. He could very well be the big guy for this generation. He's the best blueliner in the game right now anyway.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
Maybe.

I mean, PK Subban was just a freaking awesome player and then dropped off. Injuries get in the way, players decline or are put into different roles... long way to go.

Hedman has like five straight years of being in the top three and probably would've won some more if he'd had complete sesasons. He's really good and he's on a great team. He could very well be the big guy for this generation. He's the best blueliner in the game right now anyway.

Yeah, I voted for Hedman. I think you could even argue hes been the best player period in the past 5+ years of the NHL, including forwards and goalies.

Makar seems special to me. His speed, his skill, but most importantly his drive and his will to get better stands out to me.
There are a lot of factors of course as you say that will play in, and only time will tell.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
EK fanboys will never go away.

Duncan Keith is the best defenseman since Lidstrom. Hedman has the best shot of passing Kieth.

Karlsson has always been an average to below-average defender (and has many instances of being a terrible defender). He’s probably the best offensive Dman we’ve seen since Orr for sure but he’s lacking way too much in the other end to be better than Kieth or Hedman.

Kieth’s 2015 Smythe campaign is the most impressive Dman performance I’ve seen in the 15 years I’ve been a hockey fan. Karlsson’s 2017 run was spectacular too but we only saw that level of him once.

Reactions: Voight

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
ducan keith for me. To say Karlsson is better dman because he has more points is like me telling someone Hughes is a better dman then Miro because "he has more points". Duncan Keith was good both offensively defensively, he played like a lion and had toughness.

I agree but I also think that Doughty has been better than both and more consistent.

Hedman is still in a very strong prime so he might eventually pass all the guys listed here not really sure where to rank him career wise right now though.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I think Chara has the highest peak. Overall best player in terms of aggregate value is likely going to be Hedman when all these guys' careers are done (but by then it's possible Makar or someone else is in this discussion too).

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Yeah, I voted for Hedman. I think you could even argue hes been the best player period in the past 5+ years of the NHL, including forwards and goalies.

Makar seems special to me. His speed, his skill, but most importantly his drive and his will to get better stands out to me.
There are a lot of factors of course as you say that will play in, and only time will tell.

You could, but I don't think it would be a very compelling argument.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Karlsson was worth the cost of admission and was incredibly exciting to watch, but all around I vote Hedman.

Duncan Keith was about as steady and I would argue is #2 or #3.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think by the time it's all said and done, Hedman will end up pretty close to Lidstrom on most all time lists. Hedman's highs are higher than Lidstrom's, but Lidstrom didn't have any lows significant enough to even remember (which is what really separates him). I think half a decade from now, barring a decline from Hedman, Hedman will be just a tick or two behind Lidstrom, and maybe on the same tier.

I grew up a Wings fan and Lidstrom might be the greatest player I've ever seen on a night to night basis. But in the last few years, Hedman's most dominant performances, and there have been a lot of them, have been more dominant than Lidstrom's. The thing about Lidstrom is his baseline game was so much higher than most players' A-game, and it's hard to remember any truly bad games, whereas Hedman is still capable of the odd stinker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad