Best D-Man since Lidstrom?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Best Defenceman since Lidstrom?

• Total voters

lawrence

May 19, 2012
ducan keith for me. To say Karlsson is better dman because he has more points is like me telling someone Hughes is a better dman then Miro because "he has more points". Duncan Keith was good both offensively defensively, he played like a lion and had toughness.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
ducan keith for me. To say Karlsson is better dman because he has more points is like me telling someone Hughes is a better dman then Miro because "he has more points". Duncan Keith was good both offensively defensively, he played like a lion and had toughness.

Just curious do you believe McDavid is superior to say Bergeron? Because that's roughly the same gap defensively and points wise.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016

Just curious would you say McDavid is superior to Bergeron? Because that's roughly the same points gap and defensive gap aswell. Not against ranking Keith higher than Karlsson based on career achievements but for ability at their peaks? No way.

Reactions: User9992

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Chara is the best player in this list, but his best came when Lidstrom was still around so I can’t really vote him.

I think Hedman is tracking to have the best career out of the players listed here so I might vote for him. At this point though, I think Keith would be 1st

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Just curious would you say McDavid is superior to Bergeron? Because that's roughly the same points gap and defensive gap aswell. Not against ranking Keith higher than Karlsson based on career achievements but for ability at their peaks? No way.
Well when you consider that a defenseman's main job is to defend, shouldn't their defensive abilities be more important than their offensive? Unless they put up significantly more points to offset their negative defense...

Reactions: ujju2 and User9992

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think Chara's had the best career but I don't really think of him as a "since Lidstrom defenseman", as Lidstrom won the Norris more recently than Chara did, and Chara's only 7 years younger, while Keith is 13 years younger, Weber 15, etc.

I voted for Keith here, and granted his first Norris came before Lidstrom's last as well, but I think his career is separated enough that he feels like an after Lidstrom defenseman. Karlsson has an argument as well, but I like Keith's multiple great playoff runs.

Hedman's gaining ground though, and given he's only 30 and wasn't showing any signs of decline before this recent injury, I suspect he'll end up going down as the best of this lost.

Reactions: User9992

Crow

May 19, 2014
I think Hedman will go down as the best since lidstrom but not quite yet. Karlsson is close to Keith too but his playoff career kind of hurts his case even though it’s not really his fault he lacks accomplishments.

I wonder why @oPlaiD voted for other and who it is.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
At their best it was Erik the Great.

Very interesting to see Keith leading here playing on a dynasty and wasn't even facing toughest competition his second Norris.

IMO he's 3rd or 4th on this list unless people are thinking career.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Keith.

Weber shouldn't even be an option. Multiple tiers below the other guys.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I’d argue that Chara is the only one with a truly generational career, although obviously he overlapped considerably with Lids.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Keith or Hedman. Feeling more like Hedman is the right choice today so he got my vote.

This is pretty much where I was at.
But man, Keith in his prime was a nice thing to watch.

It's crazy that Lidstrom had multiple 70+ point seasons, but was also a guy who'd give you nothing on the other end. That's a unique talent.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Toss up between Keith and Hedman

Keith has more hardware but I think Hedman is the better player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad