Value of: Best 1 for 1 return for Askarov

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Trotz says we are planning to sign Saros to a long term deal and I do expect that happens. Askarov is looking right on track in Milwaukee, so I assume he will be shopped for assets at some point. Most of the Askarov deal ideas previous to this have all been package type things. I am curious if there is a 1 for 1 trade match for Askarov with the goal of reassigning the asset somewhere besides netminder. Preds fans will all say we would only take a center back, but I think we have too many holes to be picky.

Bonus question: Is there a bigger deal where Nashville is the buyer and is adding to Askarov if they were targeting a young center with potential?

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I think you're looking at an off-season trade. Either for a similarly aged/drafted prospect or for a pick that could be packaged for immediate help. As an Oilers fan, I would offer something like Bourgault+, but I don't know if Nashville needs/wants RWs.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I don't see any need for the Preds to trade Askarov. He's a fun player, but still has some holes in his game to work on. There's definitely no rush for the Preds to do that, especially at this juncture when the team doesn't have its AHL-level goaltending secured atm.

The NHL can move fairly quickly on Expansion if they want to, however. So while we don't have anything tangible announced yet, it would not shock me if there was Expansion within 3 years. That's $$$ in owners' pockets. So it's going to happen. Just a question of when. If Askarov is an NHL goalie by that time, then maybe the Preds will have a reason to consider trading him closer to the next Expansion Draft. :dunno:

Reactions: PredsV82

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I don't see any need for the Preds to trade Askarov. He's a fun player, but still has some holes in his game to work on. There's definitely no rush for the Preds to do that, especially at this juncture when the team doesn't have its AHL-level goaltending secured atm.

The NHL can move fairly quickly on Expansion if they want to, however. So while we don't have anything tangible announced yet, it would not shock me if there was Expansion within 3 years. That's $$$ in owners' pockets. So it's going to happen. Just a question of when. If Askarov is an NHL goalie by that time, then maybe the Preds will have a reason to consider trading him closer to the next Expansion Draft. :dunno:
Why not trade him now if there is a deal for a player that has a chance to climb the ranks and contribute? The team is not very good. If they are locked into Saros long term why let an asset with no intention of play for this organization sit so that we can MAYBE use him in the expansion draft the MAYBE happens in 3 years?

I am not saying we trade him tomorrow, but if the Saros deal happens we should be looking to move him soon after.

Reactions: Chan790

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I wouldn't want to trade Askarov unless I'm getting a young, potential franchise center.
...and if that isn't offered and Saros signs a 6 year deal. What does that line in the sand get us? That's my only concern.

I think you're looking at an off-season trade. Either for a similarly aged/drafted prospect or for a pick that could be packaged for immediate help. As an Oilers fan, I would offer something like Bourgault+, but I don't know if Nashville needs/wants RWs.
Nashville fans and I am sure Trotz alike have their rathers on what they want, but reality is we have enough holes that a difference maker at any position would be beneficial.

Reactions: ManByng

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Looking backwards: he was apparently available for the #5 pick at the draft, though we can't know who was going to be adding. I'd assume it was #5 for #15 and Askarov but we can't know.
I agree we can't know, but I think that is my best guess as well.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
...and if that isn't offered and Saros signs a 6 year deal. What does that line in the sand get us? That's my only concern.

The age gap between them lessens that concern for me. Saros will be 35 and Askarov 27 by then. Askarov can spend a few years as a back up or 1B if that's the case. Right now there's no need to deal either.

Looking backwards: he was apparently available for the #5 pick at the draft, though we can't know who was going to be adding. I'd assume it was #5 for #15 and Askarov but we can't know.
It apparently was 15th + Askarov.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
The age gap between them lessens that concern for me. Saros will be 35 and Askarov 27 by then. Askarov can spend a few years as a back up or 1B if that's the case. Right now there's no need to deal either.

I can't see holding the Askarov asset that long when we have so many other holes that could be addressed by transferring it to a different position. We are not a good team at this stage and need help in pretty much any area.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017

Nashville fans and I am sure Trotz alike have their rathers on what they want, but reality is we have enough holes that a difference maker at any position would be beneficial.
Well, see what fans here are going to offer you, but I doubt very much there is a "difference maker" that's going to be on the table. Maybe another Tomasino or Schaeffer or such level of prospects, which we have 6 or 7 of already. Let's see Saros sign that contract, let's see Askarov develop into an NHL-caliber goalie, then in 3 years we can have the same thread again maybe and see if we would have been better off taking one of those offers. :)

• Haha
Reactions: ManByng

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Well, see what fans here are going to offer you, but I doubt very much there is a "difference maker" that's going to be on the table. Maybe another Tomasino or Schaeffer or such level of prospects, which we have 6 or 7 of already. Let's see Saros sign that contract, let's see Askarov develop into an NHL-caliber goalie, then in 3 years we can have the same thread again maybe and see if we would have been better off taking one of those offers. :)

I agree that he shouldn't be traded for any ol prospect. That's certainly not my argument. I do think they should explore every option for trading him including adding to him if they can find a way to reassign that asset to a different position with a clearer path.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Although keep in mind that swap wasn't even remotely considered by any team with a pick in that range. Trotz might as well have been offering a box of donuts as far as they were concerned.

So the idea that Askarov alone would fetch a prospect of that quality seems highly dubious to me. :dunno:

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I can't see holding the Askarov asset that long when we have so many other holes that could be addressed by transferring it to a different position. We are not a good team at this stage and need help in pretty much any area.

We can address our other holes in the draft and with our prospects. We're likely going to get a top 5 pick this year if he contributes straight away then that'll be a big help, who knows how quickly guys like Kemell and Wood will contribute for us. We have time to be patient.
Unless we get a great asset I'm fine with keeping both our goalies.

No thanks.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Although keep in mind that swap wasn't even remotely considered by any team with a pick in that range. Trotz might as well have been offering a box of donuts as far as they were concerned.

So the idea that Askarov alone would fetch a prospect of that quality seems highly dubious to me. :dunno:
I agree. The draft class last year was stacked, but maybe a year of Askarov with good numbers and a weaker draft class allows us to do something similar this year.

I would have to think a number of teams would have Askarov taking NHL starts next year.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Absolutely this. There's little reason to explore these options until we actually have the problem of two legit #1 goaltenders on the roster. For a variety of different reasons, this may never be a scenario that occurs.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Absolutely this. There's little reason to explore these options until we actually have the problem of two legit #1 goaltenders on the roster. For a variety of different reasons, this may never be a scenario that occurs.
We won't ever know that answer if Saros is here long term. If Saros extends then he is getting 65%+ of the games each year. When are we going to know that about Askarov, but more importantly why do we need to know that before we trade him? There's a possibility that he never becomes a #1 goaltender, just like there's the possibility of who ever we would acquire doesn't develop. If we are rolling the dice and hoping a guy develops why not do it in a position of scarcity without a long term option for the next half decade?

This is all dependent on Saros signing of course, but I do think that happens as I argue this.

Reactions: spaghtti

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad