Value of: Ben Bishop

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mattyboy

What Up With That?
Jun 26, 2013
Dallas could be an option if they rid of one of their duos
but TB would most likely want something starting with nichushkin+ and doubt Dallas would want to part with that.
then again, habs traded PK for an aging dman sooo...wtf do i know right?

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Teams that may take a run at Ben Bishop if he reaches free agency after the 2016-17 season.

Colorado < If they leave Varlamov unprotected to expansion, and he is claimed.
Dallas < If they Trade or buyout Lehtonen or Niemi.
Ottawa < If they Trade or buyout Anderson.
Philadelphia < If they can't re-sign Mason or Neuvirth.
Vancouver < If Vancouver chooses not to re-sign Ryan Miller and lets him walk.

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
The only team looking for a starter is Dallas. But they have to move Neimi, or Lethonen. If they were able to move one of them. Maybe a first, second, and an average prospect for Bishop.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The minimum cost of Bishop is fairly high because it is set at TB's willingness to just keep him for a Cup run. The pool of teams that would be interested in a rental of a top-5 goalie for a Playoff or Cup run is pretty shallow. The first and second qualifiers make a Bishop trade unlikely, IMO.

If he were traded... Dallas seems to make the most sense, I could see Carolina being interested if they came out of the gate strong.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Less than Anderson .:nod:

I heard Eugene Melnyk wasn't that high on Anderson anymore. This could be his last season in Ottawa if they don't make the playoffs...Ottawa has a new regime in the front office and behind the bench this season also, so if Anderson fails to meet expectations this season he might not be around after.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Is Ben Bishop worth a 1st rounder

With guys like Jones and Lehner (much less proven) going for first round picks last year, there's no doubt in my mind that he should probably be bringing back a first round pick.

And it would be worth it for a team like Dallas to do it, if they can lock him up to an extension.

We all saw last playoffs how a putrid goaltender could sink a good team in a game 7.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
His value will be higher during camp/season than now because of injuries and teams with shocking success that aren't currently in the market for a number 1.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Teams that may take a run at Ben Bishop if he reaches free agency after the 2016-17 season.

Colorado wouldn't go after him, they have Pickard who's shown potential to be a #1 goalie. Most likely they'd target someone like Neuvirth who can play the 1B position.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Dallas could be an option if they rid of one of their duos
but TB would most likely want something starting with nichushkin+ and doubt Dallas would want to part with that.
then again, habs traded PK for an aging dman sooo...wtf do i know right?

Bishop would have been in a Dallas uniform in June if it wasn't for their two overpaid 1b goalies. Obviously nobody was interested in Lehtonen/Neimi and the price they would have had to pay in a trade on top of buying one of them out was not worth acquiring Bishop for their ownership. That's pretty much what happened. Don't need an "expert" to tell me.

Puck

Ninja
Jun 10, 2003
Ottawa
I doubt Ottawa makes a play for Bishop. Management would be admitting a mistake trading him in the first place.

Not sure but I think Cory Conacher (the other part of the trade) is back with Tampa...

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
The minimum cost of Bishop is fairly high because it is set at TB's willingness to just keep him for a Cup run.

This. The Lightning have no need to trade Bishop as he'll be off the books next summer and they can clear the small amount of space they need for this upcoming season through other means. This will be their last chance to win a Cup before losing key players to the cap so trading their MVP doesn't make sense unless the return will significantly improve their chances of winning multiple Cups over the next several years. Combine this with their inability to take on cap or protect anybody else from expansion and you're looking at either a stud expansion exempt player/prospect who will be NHL ready within a year or a draft pick high enough to produce such a player.

Another option would be to take on Callahan as a cap dump, but it's unlikely that there's a team out there both good enough to make Cally and Bish waive their NMCs to go to and with enough cap space to afford them both. Filppula is another possibility as a cap dump but unlike Callahan his buyout is quite reasonable so taking him alone wouldn't be enough to get Bishop (and the same issue of cap space would apply.)

Finally the thing to keep in mind is that no trade will occur unless an extension is agreed upon ahead of time - both because Bishop has no reason to waive his NMC and leave a Cup contender for a single season before hitting free agency and because it's incredibly unlikely any team would offer enough for a single season of Bishop to make it worth trading him for the Lightning.

Cquant

May 14, 2015

Vancouver have Markstrom who can take over the reigns after Miller. They are going to give the backup spot to Demko. The question is if he is ready or not by next year. I think it's doubtful. But either way, Vancouver is not going to pay for a Bishop type player with Demko on his way. If we sign someone, then maybe Miller for an additional year or someone with a lesser pedigree.
We are still paying Luongo, Markstrom just got a new deal and Bishop is going to want upwards of 6M. I can't see us paying more than 12M for one position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad