Confirmed with Link: Beleskey to Boston (5 years/19m)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I like the roll of the dice and the term and the money especially...

But I ask this...Smith at 3.4 over two years and people here were ready to off themselves... if you hated that deal, how do you remotely like this deal?

I don't mind either deal. I think fans here & the front office gave up on Smith too soon. He has a nose for the net, you can't teach that. So he had a down season? Who didn't last year in a Bruins uniform. At the same time I think Beleskey at 3.8m is fair. He brings some of that physical/ hustle element that this Bruins team was missing for most of last season.

What is a fair stat line for Beleskey? 18G, 15A, 33Pts. How would fans feel about that?

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I don't mind either deal. I think fans here & the front office gave up on Smith too soon. He has a nose for the net, you can't teach that. So he had a down season? Who didn't last year in a Bruins uniform. At the same time I think Beleskey at 3.8m is fair. He brings some of that physical/ hustle element that this Bruins team was missing for most of last season.

What is a fair stat line for Beleskey? 18G, 15A, 33Pts. How would fans feel about that?

If he plays with krejci for a full season I think he'll get 25 goals 20 assists

Did anyone watch the ducks run? He was an absolute pain in the ass and threat

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I'd feel it would be a gross over payment for that type of production, and it would be a huge disappointment that the guy they hand picked to be their top line player is producing at such a paltry rate. Or in other words, he'd fit right in with the rest of the offensively inept, inconsistent roster of grinders they've obtained.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
I'd feel it would be a gross over payment for that type of production, and it would be a huge disappointment that the guy they hand picked to be their top line player is producing at such a paltry rate. Or in other words, he'd fit right in with the rest of the offensively inept, inconsistent roster of grinders they've obtained.

will you ever be happy?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
will you ever be happy?

I'll be happy when the new GM fills an actual hole on the roster instead of creating more. Until that point, no. And I say fill a hole because upgrading is so far off the realm of possibilities that I'm not even going to hold Sweeney to that standard. Just ice a team that has some reasonable facsimile of NHL caliber players.

Now that being said, the better question is whether this front office will ever appreciate an offensively elite forward? Assembling another roster full of grinders with 17-20ish goal potential does nothing to fix their issues.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
I like the roll of the dice and the term and the money especially...

But I ask this...Smith at 3.4 over two years and people here were ready to off themselves... if you hated that deal, how do you remotely like this deal?

It's just as bad, but Chiarelli didn't have the UFA excuse when he gave Smith that type of money.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
At this point, I would remove Kelly for our list of centers and plug him on either wing in the bottom 6.

I agree was adding him in there just to show we have more then enough center options and I will take a wing over another center at a 1 million cap savings.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya

That's fine for the third line, but if that's supposed to be a top six guy it's pretty unacceptable

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
To be honest I'd be pretty happy with 15 goals. His shooting percentage was 15% last year, compared to his career average of 8%. Unless he magically became a Steven Stamkos level sniper after years of mediocrity, his numbers are going to drop.

Last edited:

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

How many top line players are paid 3.8m?

I think Erikkson becomes the top line LW. Marchand & Loui top-6 LW's. Maybe they try Beleskey in a top-6 role. If it works out I'd consider it a bonus. I'd like to see a 3rd line of Beleskey Spooner Pastrnak,, with Beleskey playing the Lucic role on the kid line.

A top-6 RW is what this team lacks.

Connolly
Hayes
Pastrnak
Ferlin
Griffith

(Ugly)

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada

I think Erikkson becomes the top line LW. Marchand & Loui top-6 LW's. Maybe they try Beleskey in a top-6 role. If it works out I'd consider it a bonus. I'd like to see a 3rd line of Beleskey Spooner Pastrnak,, with Beleskey playing the Lucic role on the kid line.

Connolly
Hayes
Pastrnak
Ferlin
Griffith

(Ugly)

I'm not even sure Belesky is better than 2 of the wingers in your list, possibly 3. He's paid more, but he may not be better.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If he plays with krejci for a full season I think he'll get 25 goals 20 assists

Did anyone watch the ducks run? He was an absolute pain in the ass and threat

moves reasonably well, has good hands, my ONLY concern is like many others have stated, will last year be his best?

If he goes on and produces at or near the same clip I have no issues with this deal at all but I can see the crowd here turning on him quick if he doesn`t but I love his willingness to go to all dirty areas without one moment of hesitation

BostonPC

Bleed Black & Gold
Dec 3, 2005
Woburn, MA
I'll be happy when the new GM fills an actual hole on the roster instead of creating more. Until that point, no. And I say fill a hole because upgrading is so far off the realm of possibilities that I'm not even going to hold Sweeney to that standard. Just ice a team that has some reasonable facsimile of NHL caliber players.

Now that being said, the better question is whether this front office will ever appreciate an offensively elite forward? Assembling another roster full of grinders with 17-20ish goal potential does nothing to fix their issues.

True... but this mess was started by Chiarelli and let fester for a couple years. It is going to take time to repair the damage that he did. Looking at free agency there was not much there and even then you had to overpay and extend years for these guys. I think he did okay in a bad situation. We really don't know yet if Donny will be a good GM. I think most of us had lower expectations going into the season and were surprised that he pulled a few rabbits out of a hat. Scruffy rabbits but rabbits none the less :) Time will tell.....

AustinBruins

Jul 31, 2010

It's not just about total goals. It is also about value and 3.8 million for a top 6 winger is excellent value. It's also about fit. Smith got his points, but he was never the guy imposing his will on our opponents. If you haven't watched Beleskey enough, know that he will be the kind of forechecking, hitting nuisance that the Bs need and that opponents' HATE. He will help dictate play. He will help create turnovers.

So, yeah 20 goals may be "meh" for you, but if he is the guy swarming, creating turnovers, setting the physical, pressing, attacking tone up front AND chipping in 20 goals for 3.8 million a year, he will be the 7th player award winner in 2016.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I`m spit balling here but will say having the space Sweeney is quickly getting will be a good start in filling those holes, it/they may not be able to be filled over the summer but to have that space could be exceptionally valuable and I think there`s still more to come (Kelly gonzo)

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'm not even sure Belesky is better than 2 of the wingers in your list, possibly 3. He's paid more, but he may not be better.

He gives this team an element they sorely lacked last season...net-front presence.

I think some here are being hypercritical. One could definitely make the argument that on top of a lack of "finish", speed and skill up front, this team didn't produce enough goals because they didn't have enough jam anywhere near the net. I mean Loui Eriksson was probably the biggest net-front presence we had. You score a ton of goals when you are hungry around the net, and this team wasn't. I think adding Beleskey, and even Hayes, changes that dynamic. Beleskey is a beast in that regard. He's your prototypical net-front grinder. We weren't going to get that from Lucic as he just wasn't happy with that style, but Beleskey will bring it.

I was the one yelling for more speed and skill, but given the fact we are almost officially out of cap jail, I am thrilled with these moves. Now go add a top 4 dman and give either Morrow or Colin Miller a real shot on D and I'll be happy. (I'd also love to see the end of Seids and Kelly, but those are probably pipe dreams at this point).

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Belesky played most of the year with Kesler and Palmieri but played a fair bit with on a line with Getzlaf and Perry as well.

I'm curious to find out why you think he is trending up though. Last year his shooting percentage was 15.2%. His season average to that date is 8%. He has 59 assists in 361 games. He usually fluctuates goal scoring wise, and can usually be counted on for 10-15 each season. Fairly consistent. All seems to be pointing to last year being a unique season for him.

On the road, but if you check Twitter out there are some advanced stats that make the case.

In addition, production would be an indicator:

2011-12 - 70 games, 15 pts
2012-13 - 42 games, 13 pts (lockout)
2013-14 - 55 games, 24 pts
2014-15 - 65 games, 32 pts

I would call that trending up. He's also younger than other FA candidates like Williams and Semin, in his prime.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Connolly
Hayes
Pastrnak
Ferlin
Griffith

(Ugly)

Oh I agree with you about the team desperately needing a top winger. I just see this move, and to me, it looks like he's their answer to that hole, regardless of his pay.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

This is a flat out lie :laugh:

Also, not being mentioned by the pessimist crowd, NMC for only the first two years (unlike Chia's typical deal), so if he doesn't work out or there are better/cheaper options (DeBrusk?), he can be moved easily at only $3.8m.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
This is a flat out lie :laugh:

Also, not being mentioned by the pessimist crowd, NMC for only the first two years (unlike Chia's typical deal), so if he doesn't work out or there are better/cheaper options (DeBrusk?), he can be moved easily at only $3.8m.

The terms themselves are fine, really. I don't have an issue with them bringing him in either, but I see one season out of 6 that was good for this guy and that's a red flag. The rest of the time, he's been a marginal player. So if he's the answer to your first line wing, there's a lot of risk in that move. That's it. He may come here and truly be a late bloomer, which would be tremendous. He could just as easily come here and revert back to what he was. We don't know, which is why I classify the move as being risky. And at the end of the day, the team is still lacking any high end talent. A combo of Belsekey and Hayes doesn't really address that. So my guess is that they're expecting a player like that to come from within. Maybe Pasta? Not sure if that kind of expectation is fair to a player that young though.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It's not just about total goals. It is also about value and 3.8 million for a top 6 winger is excellent value. It's also about fit. Smith got his points, but he was never the guy imposing his will on our opponents. If you haven't watched Beleskey enough, know that he will be the kind of forechecking, hitting nuisance that the Bs need and that opponents' HATE. He will help dictate play. He will help create turnovers.

So, yeah 20 goals may be "meh" for you, but if he is the guy swarming, creating turnovers, setting the physical, pressing, attacking tone up front AND chipping in 20 goals for 3.8 million a year, he will be the 7th player award winner in 2016.

You say 20 goals, but again, Beleskey has done it once and only once. To me, saying he's a great value at $3.8 only becomes true if he can replicate what he did for the first time last year. If he comes here and he puts up 14-17 goals while logging a ton of top 6 TOI, well, that will be a disappointment.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
You say 20 goals, but again, Beleskey has done it once and only once. To me, saying he's a great value at $3.8 only becomes true if he can replicate what he did for the first time last year. If he comes here and he puts up 14-17 goals while logging a ton of top 6 TOI, well, that will be a disappointment.

If he adds a physical element and a net front presence to this team, 14-17 goals on top of that will be a disappointment? I disagree.

Or put differently...I'm infinitely more comfortable paying Matt Beleskey $3.8M for 5 years to score roughly 15 goals and bring consistent physical and net-front presence than I am paying Milan Lucic north of $6M for at least 5 years to bring what he brought. This doesn't mean the Beleskey deal is a great one, it's not. But for all the talk of Lucic's "unique" talents, I think we should be aware that we will probably get most of Lucic's physical abilities and at least half of his goals for barely over half of what we'd be stuck paying Lucic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad