Confirmed with Link: Beleskey to Boston (5 years/19m)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaoz

Apr 8, 2015
http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/a...beleskey-rumours-habs-on-july-1st-free-agency

Has the same type of advanced statistic info the TSN article did on Lucic, and it's not great. Not really a fan of this move. Players don't usually "breakout" at the age of 27. In most cases those types of years are just outliers. Worth a shot I guess, it's not like there are a ton of better options out there. As others have said already, it feels like Clarkson 2.0 lite.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Beleskey because its 1 mil a year less on the cap and Yeti sucks at wing. We have our centers in Krejci, Bergy, Spooner, Kelly, Talbot. Where would you play Yeti? We don't need Yeti we need wingers.

At this point, I would remove Kelly for our list of centers and plug him on either wing in the bottom 6.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm starting to like this signing, I was 1st going crazy with the 5/5 minumun tweets but right now looking at it he can be a great depth player for us and that 3.8M allows him to be one, he won't have the 1st line money pressure and he will be a lot better option than Kelly there in the future years.

No matter which line he plays he will have a great center playing with him and making sure he will score some points while doing a bit of everything, I take him + addeed cap space+ Lucic assets over Lucic and his cap hit because I have a feeling Lucic won't/can't be worth his new contract. Nothing against Lucic but he is going to get a huge contract.

Our lw line looks good now and should be locked for some time, DeBust will come in few years but right now Eriksson+Marchand+Beleskey looks good. So good thing is that we don't have to worry about goalie/C/lw trades or UFA signings in the near future. Gives us room to focus on the top D/rw.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I like the roll of the dice and the term and the money especially...

But I ask this...Smith at 3.4 over two years and people here were ready to off themselves... if you hated that deal, how do you remotely like this deal?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

But I ask this...Smith at 3.4 over two years and people here were ready to off themselves... if you hated that deal, how do you remotely like this deal?

Exactly. I was critical of Smith's extension and I think deservedly so, but I don't get people celebrating this as if it's an upgrade in any way. Beleskey is a giant risk, IMO. He's had one good season, and he played a ton with two of the best players in the league, on one of the best teams in the league. He won't be playing with anyone like he did in ANA, and he's going to be playing on a team with huge holes in their lineup right now.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The number is much lower than expected if that's true. But he won't be playing with Kesler, Perry, and Getzlaf type talent here. On the surface, this appears to me to be a huge risk.

I don't have time to post all of the stats, but go to NHL.com and look them up. Beleskey is trending up, and he had 22 goals last season in only 65 games and played only 14:28 a game (around 13 ES, 1:30 PP).

As far as I can tell, he played most of the year with Kesler and Silfverberg, not Getz and Perry, as some have said (could be wrong?). At any rate, he's likely going to be on DK's (better than Kesler) left and get more minutes in Boston then he did in ANA. Would not be shocked to see him put up 24-28.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I don't have time to post all of the stats, but go to NHL.com and look them up. Beleskey is trending up, and he had 22 goals last season in only 65 games and played only 14:28 a game (around 13 ES, 1:30 PP).

As far as I can tell, he played most of the year with Kesler and Silfverberg, not Getz and Perry, as some have said (could be wrong?). At any rate, he's likely going to be on DK's (better than Kesler) left and get more minutes in Boston then he did in ANA. Would not be shocked to see him put up 24-28.

And 10 assists. Hayes actually had more points.

There's a reason he came cheap. He's a risky signing, but our new GM doesn't seem to mind taking risks.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008

Maybe, but the other teams defensemen were a scared because Corey Perry was staring at them from the Anaheim bench:laugh:

Some of these posters who act like we've never been any good and don't have any good players need to find another place to gripe. It's actually quite sickening. They act like we're the 73 Islanders or 75 Caps. Not a team that had more points than any NHL team that missed the playoffs, made the finals 2 years ago, Won a Cup 4 years ago, won the President's Trophy last year and made the playoffs 7 straight years,

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

even strength...

462 min w Kesler on ice - 7-5-12
166 min w Getzlaf on ice - 7-2-9
157 min w Perry on ice - 5-3-8
121 min w Silfverberg - 3-1-4

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011

correct. Beleskey - Kesler - Silfverberg and Maroon-Getz-Perry were the lines most of the year

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

For me, I like this deal and hated the Smith deal because Beleskey adds the physical element that Smith didn't. Beleskey looks for big hits, something Smith never did. It's an element that was missing in this team last year and should be improved upon.

There's no question your question is valid though. I mean is it worth the difference in cost to give up a potentially better scorer just for more physicality? I think we all know the conditions are different too. Smith signed as a pending RFA and Beleskey was a UFA, so we adjusted Beleskey's price accordingly. Safe to say Beleskey came in at less than what people expected and Smith more, given their free agency statuses at the time of their deals. I think that plays into it too.

Ultimately neither one of these deals is great, but for me, I'd seen enough of Smith. Just not a fan of the player at all. When he's not scoring he's truly invisible.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Maybe, but the other teams defensemen were a scared because Corey Perry was staring at them from the Anaheim bench:laugh:

Some of these posters who act like we've never been any good and don't have any good players need to find another place to gripe. It's actually quite sickening. They act like we're the 73 Islanders or 75 Caps. Not a team that had more points than any NHL team that missed the playoffs, made the finals 2 years ago, Won a Cup 4 years ago, won the President's Trophy last year and made the playoffs 7 straight years,

How have they been after winning the Cup?

1 SCF appearance
1 second round knockout
1 first round knockout
1 DNQ

Jeez, was a legit question I brought up, but everything is awesome I guess.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
For me, I like this deal and hated the Smith deal because Beleskey adds the physical element that Smith didn't. Beleskey looks for big hits, something Smith never did. It's an element that was missing in this team last year and should be improved upon.

There's no question your question is valid though. I mean is it worth the difference in cost to give up a potentially better scorer just for more physicality? I think we all know the conditions are different too. Smith signed as a pending RFA and Beleskey was a UFA, so we adjusted Beleskey's price accordingly. Safe to say Beleskey came in at less than what people expected and Smith more, given their free agency statuses at the time of their deals. I think that plays into it too.

Ultimately neither one of these deals is great, but for me, I'd seen enough of Smith. Just not a fan of the player at all. When he's not scoring he's truly invisible.

Perfect, respectful response. Thank you . I also don't mind the switch. Going forward, I would take Beleskey if I had to chose and I don't mind either contract.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
How have they been after winning the Cup?

1 SCF appearance
1 second round knockout
1 first round knockout
1 DNQ

Jeez, was a legit question I brought up, but everything is awesome I guess.

22-24 teams out of 30 would take that.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Perfect, respectful response. Thank you . I also don't mind the switch. Going forward, I would take Beleskey if I had to chose and I don't mind either contract.

Thanks.

Also for consideration is this: Players rarely take pay cuts in sports. If Reilly Smith has a decent season, he's going to be looking for Beleskey money, possibly more after his deal runs out right? So over the life of Beleskey's deal, 5 years from now, Smith could end up actually costing more depending on what his next deal looks like. I'm sure that was a consideration.

As an aside, I wonder where the B's slot him? I could see him on any of the top 3 lines really. Same goes for Hayes.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I didn't see Smith as a fit here and I didn't like that Smith was taking a top6 spot from Eriksson. Smith is a 3rd line guy and I take Beleskey over Smith easily, Eriksson is easily the most talented out of that trio.

We lost a lot of toughness(F group was very weak and light) via Lucic and they/fans wanted to add toughness into our lineup, Beleskey brings that more than Smith, Beleskey is a guy that does a bit of everything. This added weight into our lineup without sacrifing speed and we didn't have to give a huge 1st line contract with huge pressure, now we have hayes in the lineup too so we have a faster/bigger lineup in the future which is a great thing in the NHL, I wanted us to be a western team lost in East and we are going that way. Speed+Size will be a deadly combo.

I'm not saying this is great let's celebrate but after the rumours on him getting atleast 5/5 I'm more calm now.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Thanks.

Also for consideration is this: Players rarely take pay cuts in sports. If Reilly Smith has a decent season, he's going to be looking for Beleskey money, possibly more after his deal runs out right? So over the life of Beleskey's deal, 5 years from now, Smith could end up actually costing more depending on what his next deal looks like. I'm sure that was a consideration.

As an aside, I wonder where the B's slot him? I could see him on any of the top 3 lines really. Same goes for Hayes.

Guessing

Belesky-Krejci-Pasta
Marchand-Bergeron-Connolly
Eriksson-Spooner-Hayes

Dunno to be honest. Square pegs in round holes there on lines 2 and 3.

Will be interested in seeing 63's and 37's goal production .

Kaoz

Apr 8, 2015

Belesky played most of the year with Kesler and Palmieri but played a fair bit with on a line with Getzlaf and Perry as well.

I'm curious to find out why you think he is trending up though. Last year his shooting percentage was 15.2%. His season average to that date is 8%. He has 59 assists in 361 games. He usually fluctuates goal scoring wise, and can usually be counted on for 10-15 each season. Fairly consistent. All seems to be pointing to last year being an outlier

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad