Post-Game Talk: Bearly Lost - Jets Lose 2-1(SO)

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Jets lost both the adjCorsi (46.07) and the xGF (38.35) pretty handily last night, according to Corsica.

WLOTPts%GFGADiff
adjCF% > 501243.7116640+26
xGF% > 501431.8066532+33
adjCF% < 50863.5595359-6
xGF% < 50675.4725467-13
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
It's poolboy :scared:

IMG_0259.jpg

To paraphrase Crocodile Dundee, that's not a pool boy. Now this is a pool boy! :laugh:

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
The main tactic is just not to give possession of the puck to the opponent at any cost.
Thats how I see it and this team should be almost unbeatable 3-3. Lots of work to be done there, but also consider it's not something we'd need in the playoffs.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
sorry, poolman had control and just gave it away..how far back in a sequence do you want to go to cast blame, the trainer who sharpens the skates..?

I fully blame the guy who called for the puck and then fumbled it multiple times when he had every opportunity to cleanly move it back into the Bruins end. What ever missed assignments there were after that were all created by Chiarot fanning on the puck twice or more.

We can even level a small amount of blame on Lowry for pushing the puck to the boards when his teammate wasn't there. Blame players for being out of position, missing switches or whatever but at the end of the day the guy who made the BIGGEST mistake on the easiest play is Ben (not an NHLer) Chiarot.

I really hope Mo lets Poolman play the LD when Buff comes back.
Poolman / Buff would be a fine pair for the short term.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I like how a couple of poor decisions on where to move the puck on the PP constitutes a poor game. Wheeler wasn't great on the PP, he was painting himself into corners again and waiting too long to make decisions with the puck, by the time he did he ended up being rushed, which effected his execution. I think one pass went off a skate, so in essence we're talking possibly an inch away from it being the right play.

Other than that he was completely fine, especially considering it was basically a road hockey game. Played one of the top lines in hockey to a standstill and did some nice work in the offensive zone down low. I thought he played the way the game dictated, there was very little space out there for either team, the entire game was pretty much played outside the dots, hardly any room up the middle.

I guess when your opponent plays well and does their job, the conclusion is you sucked. I take it Bruins fans are quite unhappy with Bergeron's play.
I'm not sure why the urge is so strong to be defensive for Wheeler. When's he's really on with the puck, the Jets are really hard to stop. When his puckhandling and passing is off the Jets are less effective offensively. That's how it was last night, in my opinion. He wasn't alone in that, but he plays such a big role 5v5 and on the PP that when he's off it is quite noticeable and important.

Reactions: 204hockey

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
God can't we just end in ties the gimmicky finishes ruin it.

I hated ties when they were allowed, everyone just played trap for the 3rd period to produce a point. So boring.

I need resolution, and I enjoy the 3 on 3 OT, and wish they would continue until there was a winner. Even if they have to drop it to 2 on 2 after the first 5 minutes. I can't imagine it taking that much longer to be honest.

I hate the shootout as a way to determine a winner.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Well, according to SportsClubStats and their 159 million simulations last night, Jets have a 92.8% of making the playoffs.

Winnipeg Jets Playoff Chances - Sports Club Stats

In spite of those odds it's still too early to feel comfortable about them making the playoffs. The Jets are playing very well and I'm sure glad they're up there in the standings. However, the teams below them aren't really all that far behind. Dallas is only 5 points back while Chicago and Minnesota are only 7 points behind with 2 games in hand each. At one point in the season St. Louis had that much of a lead in the standings over Winnipeg and yet the Jets managed to overtake them for a brief time. I think it will be very late in the season before we'll know which teams from the Central make it to the playoffs as the division is very competitive.

:jets

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
I hated ties when they were allowed, everyone just played trap for the 3rd period to produce a point. So boring.

I need resolution, and I enjoy the 3 on 3 OT, and wish they would continue until there was a winner. Even if they have to drop it to 2 on 2 after the first 5 minutes. I can't imagine it taking that much longer to be honest.

I hate the shootout as a way to determine a winner.
I've said it before and I'll say it again...
Begin with 5 minutes 3 on 3...
If still tied, 2 minutes 3 on 3 with no goalies...
If still tied, 2 minutes 3 on 3 with no goalies or line changes...
THAT should get it done! :laugh:

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
5 min 3 on 3, if not resolved: 5 min 3 on 3 but both goalies have to put a trashcan on their head so they can't see. If still not resolved: spin goalies around in circles with trashcan on head so they are dizzy.

Reactions: jefferoni

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
God can't we just end in ties the gimmicky finishes ruin it.

It would be great if they got rid of the shootout. Hockey is a team sport and the outcome of a game should be determined by a team effort. The shootout does not at all reflect the effort of either team during the game. It would be akin to the NBA deciding a game by free throws. How lame would that be? The Jets have never been good at shootouts and the points that they've lost and the other teams gained could have a significant impact on whether or not they make the playoffs. I don't mind OT to determine the extra point since it's still a team effort involved in winning or losing but the shootout should be done away with since it is only based on individual talent. I would even prefer they just flip a coin to determine the winner instead of the shootout because at least we'd have a 50/50 chance at winning.

:jets

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
5 min 3 on 3, if not resolved: 5 min 3 on 3 but both goalies have to put a trashcan on their head so they can't see. If still not resolved: spin goalies around in circles with trashcan on head so they are dizzy.

So in other words, every team needs a Pavelec?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I'm not sure why the urge is so strong to be defensive for Wheeler. When's he's really on with the puck, the Jets are really hard to stop. When his puckhandling and passing is off the Jets are less effective offensively. That's how it was last night, in my opinion. He wasn't alone in that, but he plays such a big role 5v5 and on the PP that when he's off it is quite noticeable and important.
That runs both ways, I'm not sure why the urge is so strong to be critical of Wheeler. In my opinion je played a pretty strong game outside of a few misplays.

Jet

Chibby!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
That was a weird game. I watched the Bruin feed and the announcers gushed what a hard fought, fast game it was.

I found it really kinda slow and clunky - sloppy. I think the Jets outplayed the Bruins but that was our b game at best, maybe C.

Myers has to play better. I think his hip is really bothering him. Kulikov was really good I thought.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That runs both ways, I'm not sure why the urge is so strong to be critical of Wheeler. In my opinion je played a pretty strong game outside of a few misplays.
I didn't single out Wheeler in my post-game remarks. I commented on every Jets player, and my assessment of Wheeler last night was that his puck-handling and passing was sub-par, and it hampered the Jets' top line. I personally don't think that assessment is wrong.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I didn't single out Wheeler in my post-game remarks. I commented on every Jets player, and my assessment of Wheeler last night was that his puck-handling and passing was sub-par, and it hampered the Jets' top line. I personally don't think that assessment is wrong.
You said he was genuinely bad and killed a lot of the Jets offense.

I think he had a couple of misplays but overall played a solid game.

Both are opinions

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Happy Holidays from Boston

Tonight during the game a Jets fan posted the following on the Bruins GDT

Our board responded as hockey family should and I was reminded why I do so much here at HF to keep these boards flowing. We are all part of a family called hockey. We dedicated our PGT to Randy from Winnipeg.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...rlie-mcavoy-bruins-2-winnipeg-1-f-so.2426121/

Because I work on Boston TV with the Bruins I have had the pleasure of visiting your city. I have survived this intersection

c3bac9390f54ba19839f02fae62e00a1--licence-plates-canada-trip.jpg

and I know the Queen is a closet Jets fan

View attachment 89297

I was thrilled when you got your team back in 2011 and I hope the same happens in Quebec City someday.

Tonight was a good game and I wish your team well in that Central Division dogfight.

Here is how Boston TV called the game

Happy Holidays

:xtree::xsign::santa::xtree:

Happy Holidays from Boston

Tonight during the game a Jets fan posted the following on the Bruins GDT

Our board responded as hockey family should and I was reminded why I do so much here at HF to keep these boards flowing. We are all part of a family called hockey. We dedicated our PGT to Randy from Winnipeg.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...rlie-mcavoy-bruins-2-winnipeg-1-f-so.2426121/

Because I work on Boston TV with the Bruins I have had the pleasure of visiting your city. I have survived this intersection

c3bac9390f54ba19839f02fae62e00a1--licence-plates-canada-trip.jpg

and I know the Queen is a closet Jets fan

View attachment 89297

I was thrilled when you got your team back in 2011 and I hope the same happens in Quebec City someday.

Tonight was a good game and I wish your team well in that Central Division dogfight.

Here is how Boston TV called the game

Happy Holidays

:xtree::xsign::santa::xtree:

Thanks again Fenway.

One of my best memories with Randy is when Ellett scored in overtime. Me and Randy made signs. I help up my sign " Messier. Missing link between man and monkey" messier skated passed me along the glass and slapped his stick against the glass. Kevin Lowe was in the corner and skated up to messier pointed and laughed at my sign. Good times.

Randy was a Bruin fan but he introduced me to be a life long jets fan.

Thanks again

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You said he was genuinely bad and killed a lot of the Jets offense.

I think he had a couple of misplays but overall played a solid game.

Both are opinions
I said he was a total klutz with the puck and killed the first two PPs with some bad decisions / plays. I said that the line skated well.

I also critiqued the rest of the line, and dubbed Myers a klutz. I didn't just single out Wheeler for criticism, but I know that if our best players are playing their best, the Jets' chances are diminished.

I'll stand by my assessment, and respect yours.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Agreed not getting Perreault any time 3 on 3 was a mistake. That was a pretty tight game. One of our better defensive games of the year I thought.

Garbox

Feb 27, 2016
Finland
I'd sure like to see Perreault and Armia 3 on 3. Joel still has his dangles in him and would feast with that open ice. And of course, like someone said, those two would be impossible to get the puck away from.
At the same time, I admit that theres some bias in this opinion, but I think it's not that bad idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad