Barracuda News & Discussion VII

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
in the low quality clip on twitter, it looks like the puck lands on the non catchy part of his glove hand, and he lackadaisically drops it to the ice to cover the puck without noticing the henderson player coming in like a rocket to poke at the puck.
I remember some people were questioning his work ethic and his commitment, but I think with him he's just... bored. It's still not a good thing in that he may believe he knows everything, but that' just speculation on my part.

I would honestly contemplate giving him a few games on the big club mostly to give him a bit of a reality check.

Reactions: karltonian

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I remember some people were questioning his work ethic and his commitment, but I think with him he's just... bored. It's still not a good thing in that he may believe he knows everything, but that' just speculation on my part.

I would honestly contemplate giving him a few games on the big club mostly to give him a bit of a reality check.

I think so too. In the second period he tried a couple times to fire the puck upward a hundred feet for breakouts. Made me chuckle. :laugh::laugh:

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I think so too. In the second period he tried a couple times to fire the puck upward a hundred feet for breakouts. Made me chuckle. :laugh::laugh:
They were right in front of me. Dude just oozes confidence. Even after that first goal he spent the next 4 or 5 whistles complaining to the ref. Not sure why.

Anyways, Askarov may have even less to do in future games if Shakir comes back and stays.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
They were right in front of me. Dude just oozes confidence. Even after that first goal he spent the next 4 or 5 whistles complaining to the ref. Not sure why.

Anyways, Askarov may have even less to do in future games if Shakir comes back and stays.
He was apparently bumped on the 1st goal.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
I think once Shakir gets into game shape they’re both going to be evaluated for the first call-up.

Also, I have never seen a goaltender as confident as Askarov. Absolutely nothing rattles him. I would 100% give him some nhl games now.

If anything can rattle your confidence it's playing for the current Sharks 😂

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Just finished the game myself. One thing getting lost in the (deserved) Askarov and Cagnoni praise: three assists for Collin Graf tonight. Cardwell was looking pretty good, too. Six shots on goal recorded by him, still zero goals on the year. Guy cannot buy one right now.

But geez, Luca Cagnoni is so much better than I was ever expecting him to be this season. I already thought our defense had the potential to be stacked this season and wasn't even counting him. Now? It could almost be an overabundance of offensive weapons on the blue line.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Colin Graf is doing what Pavelski, Couture, and Labanc did in the AHL. He's going to force management to promote him.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Just finished the game myself. One thing getting lost in the (deserved) Askarov and Cagnoni praise: three assists for Collin Graf tonight. Cardwell was looking pretty good, too. Six shots on goal recorded by him, still zero goals on the year. Guy cannot buy one right now.

But geez, Luca Cagnoni is so much better than I was ever expecting him to be this season. I already thought our defense had the potential to be stacked this season and wasn't even counting him. Now? It could almost be an overabundance of offensive weapons on the blue line.
Graf and Cardwell were all over the ice. I thought Bystedt was pretty good too, although I wish he played bigger.

Halttunen was sort of meh out there. I don't have a ton of hope for him to be honest.

DoubleOT

Jan 5, 2017
San Jose, CA
Another good game from the Cuda.

I love the 4th line of Houle/Vanroboys/Vincent. Speed, skill, grit.

Right now it's feeling like the planets aligned for this team this year. Great mix of top prospects with a few quality vets, a top goalie, a legit identity line.

I'm thankful there's at least one entertaining hockey team in San Jose this year.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
If anything can rattle your confidence it's playing for the current Sharks 😂
Maybe he needs that. His only taste of the NHL was playing behind a pretty decent Nashville defense. He didn't even get to experience the taste of playing behind what we have in preseason. Again, if they don't feel the need to rush him then so be it. I do think his play would definitely expedite any trade of Van or Blackwood.

Another good game from the Cuda.

I love the 4th line of Houle/Vanroboys/Vincent. Speed, skill, grit.

Right now it's feeling like the planets aligned for this team this year. Great mix of top prospects with a few quality vets, a top goalie, a legit identity line.

I'm thankful there's at least one entertaining hockey team in San Jose this year.
What's even better is they don't even have Bords, Shakir or Lucas Carlsson in the lineup so when players start getting called up the drop-off won't be very far.

Sandisfan

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
San Jose
Graf and Cardwell were all over the ice. I thought Bystedt was pretty good too, although I wish he played bigger.

Halttunen was sort of meh out there. I don't have a ton of hope for him to be honest.
Isn't Halttunen one of the Youngest players in the AHL. He's got time. :DD

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
I'm assuming Romanov gets the start on Friday morning.

We'll see, the reason we usually alternate goalies so much is that we play so many back to backs. We have a day of rest, play Friday, and then don't have another game until Wednesday. Could go either way.

Romanov has been pretty solid himself, but Askarov is Askarov.

DoubleOT

Jan 5, 2017
San Jose, CA
What's even better is they don't even have Bords, Shakir or Lucas Carlsson in the lineup so when players start getting called up the drop-off won't be very far.

Yeah I was hoping Shak and Bords would be in tonight.

And I forgot about Carlsson. Where did he come from again? Just looked up his stats - 93 points in his last 113 AHL games, 6 points in 7 playoff games. If he's producing like that and Cagnoni keeps it up, that'd be tough for any team to handle.

I want Bordeleau to do well, I like his game and hope he can take the next step and stick.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
We'll see, the reason we usually alternate goalies so much is that we play so many back to backs. We have a day of rest, play Friday, and then don't have another game until Wednesday. Could go either way.

Romanov has been pretty solid himself, but Askarov is Askarov.
He would be the primary reason I'd go again.

Isn't Halttunen one of the Youngest players in the AHL. He's got time. :DD
That's a fair point.

Yeah I was hoping Shak and Bords would be in tonight.

And I forgot about Carlsson. Where did he come from again? Just looked up his stats - 93 points in his last 113 AHL games, 6 points in 7 playoff games. If he's producing like that and Cagnoni keeps it up, that'd be tough for any team to handle.

I want Bordeleau to do well, I like his game and hope he can take the next step and stick.
I assume they'll be in on Friday, but who knows?

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

Carlsson was with the Charlotte Checkers in 23-24, was signed as a free agent by us in the offseason and is a bigtime offensive weapon in this league. AHL All-Star last season. Was really disappointed he wasn't ready to start this season.

When Charlotte came into town to play against us for the first time last year, Carlsson put up a hat trick, on 12- yes, twelve- shots on goal.

Reactions: DoubleOT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad