The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 205 54.7%
  • B

Votes: 134 35.7%
  • C

Votes: 32 8.5%
  • D

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • E

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • F

Votes: 3 0.8%

• Total voters

Jul 6, 2016
How about- for the time being (let’s say a season or two) give the « C » to a veteran player like Matheson or Savard ? Suzuki doesn’t seem to be ready for the job, and it would take a ton of pressure off his shoulders, if only for the pressure by some MTL medias , who are blaming him to not be bilingual yet. Matheson is well respected in the room.

Dach was great before his injury. I don’t agree there. As for Newhook, I like him more as a winger.
Newhook was getting pretty good at center last season with Gally and Armia as his wingers.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Habs need to find a way to get a stud C. Dach has a lot to prove still and the only other potential candidates are Hage/Demidov. Which are years away. This team would look so much better with two legit top 6 C's, and guys like Slaf/CC/Laine/Demidov on the wings.

Maybe through this year draft we get one.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I will settle for not getting out shot by 10 shots a game, getting schooled every night or watching them chase in their own end for minutes at a time but if that’s the hockey you enjoy, you do you.

ok, you got me, they look just fine in their own end, lol. MSL fans 🤷

In the MIX, baby!!!
And we're back full circle to being impatient, not understanding what a rebuild would actually entail, and temper tantrums.

Reactions: ReimanSum1908

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Habs need to find a way to get a stud C. Dach has a lot to prove still and the only other potential candidates are Hage/Demidov. Which are years away. This team would look so much better with two legit top 6 C's, and guys like Slaf/CC/Laine/Demidov on the wings.

Maybe through this year draft we get one.
Monahan would have been great. But 5 years was risky.

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
And we're back full circle to being impatient, not understanding what a rebuild would actually entail, and temper tantrums.
I've said from the very beginning that our competitive window opens when Suzuki and Caufield are around thirty; we just have to hope that they develop further, given their contracts, and hold up until then and that the other contracts that we sign, and players that we draft, actually pan out.

All those who believed that we could somehow achieve success through a "three-year rebuild" were terribly optimistic, or failed to understand the true depth of the organizational dead weight and rot, some of which has been added to, rather than removed, during the process.

• Wow
Reactions: River Meadow

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
Temper tantrums, hahaha, the best!!!

Tell me, oh mighty one, how is getting blitzed in their own end every night an ok thing in yr 3/4 of the rebuild?

Some MSL fans 😂

I've said from the very beginning that our competitive window opens when Suzuki and Caufield are around thirty; we just have to hope that they develop further, given their contracts, and hold up until then and that the other contracts that we sign, and players that we draft, actually pan out.

All those who believed that we could somehow achieve success through a "three-year rebuild" were terribly optimistic, or failed to understand the true depth of the organizational dead weight and rot, some of which has been added to, rather than removed, during the process.
A 8 yr rebuild, 5 more yrs, hahaha.

Heck, they might as well trade NS & CC now.

Last edited:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
The next step is backwards by the looks of it, we will pick in the Top 3 after 2 years at 5 and hopefully another pick mid-teens

And I could honestly care less as we weren't competing this year, Laine addition was fun for some excitement but that was never going to move us up 10 spots. This TDL and next offseason will determine if we are in perennial rebuild or if we are truly moving towards being in the mix

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Temper tantrums, hahaha, the best!!!

Tell me, oh mighty one, how is getting blitzed in their own end every night an ok thing in yr 3/4 of the rebuild?

Some MSL fans 😂

What else would we call it when after seeing consecutive years of improvements on the defensive side of things wanting to fire the coach for not seeing even more improvements in the first 7 games?

And like I said you clearly don't understand what a rebuild actually takes. 4 years after drafting MacKinnon you know where Colorado was? At the bottom of the league drafting Makar with the 4th OA pick. And since Landeskog was drafted 2 years before MacKinnon we could even say that was year 6 of the rebuild. Or how about Tampa, you know where they were in year 5 after drafting Stamkos? They were drafting Drouin at 3rd OA. Or how about Pittsburgh, if we genourously say the rebuild started not when they started drafting high but when they got MAF then in year 4 guess where they were picking, 2nd OA.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
What else would we call it when after seeing consecutive years of improvements on the defensive side of things wanting to fire the coach for not seeing even more improvements in the first 7 games?

And like I said you clearly don't understand what a rebuild actually takes. 4 years after drafting MacKinnon you know where Colorado was? At the bottom of the league drafting Makar with the 4th OA pick. And since Landeskog was drafted 2 years before MacKinnon we could even say that was year 6 of the rebuild. Or how about Tampa, you know where they were in year 5 after drafting Stamkos? They were drafting Drouin at 3rd OA. Or how about Pittsburgh, if we genourously say the rebuild started not when they started drafting high but when they got MAF then in year 4 guess where they were picking, 2nd OA.
They are last in almost all D stats.

Once again, tell me how this team looks better defensively or has progressed?

It’s worse and Bombay better figure it out soon. If he can’t, then yes punt him.

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Some MSL fans 😂

Look at the Senators and Sabres.

We're far worse off after our first three years of the rebuild than either of those two teams were at the same point.

And you're absolutely right: the two of them should be traded because this rebuild has likely failed. The chances of actually being competitive when they are around thirty is almost nonexistent.

We drafted high in the absolute worst years, 2022 and 2023.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
They are last in almost all D stats.

Once again, tell me how this team looks better defensively or has progressed?

It’s worse and Bombay better figure it out soon. If he can’t, then yes punt him.
2021-2022: 32nd in GA
2022-2023: 29th in GA
2023-2024: 27th in GA
2024-2025: With only 7 games played we are once again 27th in GA/G

If you can't see progress that says more about you then it does the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad