Barracuda News & Discussion VII

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Not too many more guys I'd trim off the roster before opening weekend. Probably would cut:
F: Burke, Grainger, Lodnia
D: Bucheler, Hache
G: Carriere

That'd put us at 15F, 9D and 3G:
F: Bailey, Bystedt, Cardwell, Carroll, Coe, Graf, Halttunen, Houle, Poturalski, Robins, Russell, Sabourin, Vanroboys, Vincent, White
D: Cagnoni, Frisch, Furlong, Guryev, Keane, Laroque, Pulli, Schuldt, Thompson
G: Askarov, Dell, Romanov

Totally good starting the season like that. Wouldn't be torn up if we cut/dealt Carroll, Russell, or Keane, but am fine with giving them a couple looks before that happens. Keane, specifically, I wondered if he might be a point man on the PP to start the season, but we just received Cagnoni and Thompson, I'm not sure there's any need.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

I keep editing this post because Cuda media is being weird. Jeremie Bucheler, Nolan Burke, Gabriel Carriere, Aaron Dell, Gannon Laroque sent to Wichita (ECHL). Ivan Lodnia released from his PTO. The original tweet listed Joe Carroll as going to Wichita as well and removed him from the camp roster, but now he's listed with the team again.

I'm a little surprised we sent both Carriere and Dell down to start, that leaves us with two goalies.

They really must be down on Laroque. He was pretty bad in the Friday preseason game and better Sunday.

We are now at 16F/9D/2G, feels pretty close to an opening day roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
It is, isn't it? Plus Bystedt's a center, so there's a pretty good chance all three of our scoring lines have a right-handed shot at left wing to start the season.
Yep, thought that too.

I guess once some come back from injury, whoever gets sent down from the bottom six on the Sharks is going to be a leftie (unless its Dellandrea): G.Smith, Bordeleau, Kostin, Grundström, Gushchin [*raises fist*]

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

I keep editing this post because Cuda media is being weird. Jeremie Bucheler, Nolan Burke, Gabriel Carriere, Aaron Dell, Gannon Laroque sent to Wichita (ECHL). Ivan Lodnia released from his PTO. The original tweet listed Joe Carroll as going to Wichita as well and removed him from the camp roster, but now he's listed with the team again.

I'm a little surprised we sent both Carriere and Dell down to start, that leaves us with two goalies.

They really must be down on Laroque. He was pretty bad in the Friday preseason game and better Sunday.

We are now at 16F/9D/2G, feels pretty close to an opening day roster.

How worried are you about the defense? Schuldt and Thompson are no doubt top 4 if not top pair AHL defensemen but everyone else is still a bit of a question mark. Cuda really need Carlsson to get healthy and/or for Mukhamadullin to be sent down for me to feel comfortable there won't be a repeat of last season's defensive depth issues.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
How worried are you about the defense? Schuldt and Thompson are no doubt top 4 if not top pair AHL defensemen but everyone else is still a bit of a question mark. Cuda really need Carlsson to get healthy and/or for Mukhamadullin to be sent down for me to feel comfortable there won't be a repeat of last season's defensive depth issues.

Not that worried mostly because Muk is practicing again. I have no idea what's wrong with Carlsson, though, so that's the only part I've got concerns with. That guy is a big reason I'm so optimistic about our defense this year and he should be our #1 D. Warsofsky said it'd be "close" as to whether he'd be ready for training camp, and obviously he wasn't. But that hopefully means that's a short-term issue.

Pulli and Frisch are good in their roles, Furlong looked solid in preseason. Cagnoni... yeah, we'll see. Not unusual for us to use the first few games to try guys out and see where they stand. But I've got high hopes for our defensive unit, and missing those two guys does downgrade the group from "very good" to just "fine" in my eyes.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Not that worried mostly because Muk is practicing again. I have no idea what's wrong with Carlsson, though, so that's the only part I've got concerns with. That guy is a big reason I'm so optimistic about our defense this year and he should be our #1 D. Warsofsky said it'd be "close" as to whether he'd be ready for training camp, and obviously he wasn't. But that hopefully means that's a short-term issue.

Pulli and Frisch are good in their roles, Furlong looked solid in preseason. Cagnoni... yeah, we'll see. Not unusual for us to use the first few games to try guys out and see where they stand. But I've got high hopes for our defensive unit, and missing those two guys does downgrade the group from "very good" to just "fine" in my eyes.
Askarov should probably get used to playing behind a questionable defense anyway.

• Haha
Reactions: NiWa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad