Speculation: Ball Arena

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I've heard two rumors.

Out by the Gaylord, and the other was basically further south on the South Platte in the industrial area around Meow Wolf.
Remember the Meow Wolf one too and thought it recently got shut down. Hell if I know though... and the last time I went to Elitches was ~2005, so maybe I'm the problem.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
They should just demolish Ball Arena, build a giant parking structure next to Mile High (Empowered Field) and put the new arena on the other side with it also connecting to the parking structure. They could have skywalks connecting at all levels of the structure to the stadium and arena. Also have it with i25 on and off ramps. Kroenke and Walton are brother in laws right? Shouldn't be too hard to coordinate.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
They should just demolish Ball Arena, build a giant parking structure next to Mile High (Empowered Field) and put the new arena on the other side with it also connecting to the parking structure. They could have skywalks connecting at all levels of the structure to the stadium and arena. Also have it with i25 on and off ramps. Kroenke and Walton are brother in laws right? Shouldn't be too hard to coordinate.
Broncos are more likely to build a whole new stadium in the next decade.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
You think so? I think Ball needs the upgrade much, much more.
The new ownership is already floating it. They want the Super Bowl to come to Denver... which really means they need a dome or retractable roof. Add in by the time it would be completed (2032 since that's when the lease ends), they'd be there over 30 years and probably 4th-6th oldest stadium at that point... makes it easy for the ownership to demand. I'd expect a lot of public funds to be thrown at it too.

Though I agree Ball Arena is even further behind their counterparts than Empower is. It is a bottom 10 arena with the likes of Florida and Philly. It is just a generic arena and very far from the Vegas, Montreal and Nashville's of the NHL. Hell even very far from the Tampa and Detroits.

Reactions: sethro109

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I would be all for the complete banning of public funds for sports venues, but I realize that's pie-in-the-sky thinking.
Did he ask for money? I sure didn't see any request for money. I don't get the big hate for this project, about the only opposition to it is from people whose view is getting obstructed.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Did he ask for money? I sure didn't see any request for money. I don't get the big hate for this project, about the only opposition to it is from people whose view is getting obstructed.
It was just more of a general musing about these sorts of projects as public funding has increased quite a bit in recent years.

He may not be asking for money but if he isn’t getting that, he’s getting another concession from the public sector.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
But it won’t happen quickly.The privately financed mixed-used development could break ground in 2026, the Denver Gazette previously reported. However, it could take more than a quarter century to complete. KSE senior vice president Matt Mahoney indicated the project would likely begin with a pedestrian and bike bridge over Speer Boulevard.

The “big date” to keep in mind is 2050.

"This is the date we're asking for all of our entitlement vesting for both River Mile and Ball Arena to be protected," Mahoney said. "And in return, we've committed to keeping our teams at Ball Arena through 2050."
No way in hell that Ball Arena is still there in 2050

Last edited:

yeaher

May 3, 2019
This is good, I've been hearing more and more noise from randoms in San Diego (uber drivers, waiters, bartenders, etc.) that Kroenke wants a hockey team in San Diego.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This is good, I've been hearing more and more noise from randoms in San Diego (uber drivers, waiters, bartenders, etc.) that Kroenke wants a hockey team in San Diego.
He wants an arena there, not really a sports team there. He wants to make a SoFi Stadium 2.0 for NBA/NHL.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

No way in hell that Ball Arena is still there in 2050
Yeah Ball Arena isn't lasting like MSG, but with the land, they'll probably build in the same area.

Only grocery store baggers are reliable sources.

He wants an arena there, not really a sports team there. He wants to make a SoFi Stadium 2.0 for NBA/NHL.
Stan won't be able to own teams in San Diego with the bylaws, but it is increasingly rare that a private company not associated with ownership owns a rink and leases it back to teams. It would be pretty odd for him to own a San Diego arena and lease it out to a different ownership group.

With that, it wouldn't be all that surprising for KSE to sell the Avs and Nuggets to a different group and he ends up with a San Diego group if expansion could be secured. San Diego really isn't on the radar for either league though, so we're probably talking ~10-15+ out anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad