Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '23-'24 Thread

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Doesn't look like there's any success stories, but I believe PA has been pretty dysfunctional and has a tough time attracting talent.
They won the friggin league in 2019 and were 1st in 2020 when the season was cancelled. They made some shrewd trades a couple of years back and now have some big time prospects coming in next year.

They've had issues over the years, but calling them dysfunctional is completely false.

Ian Scott was a damn good WHL goalie and he would have been a Kelly Guard protege.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
They won the friggin league in 2019 and were 1st in 2020 when the season was cancelled. They made some shrewd trades a couple of years back and now have some big time prospects coming in next year.

They've had issues over the years, but calling them dysfunctional is completely false.

Ian Scott was a damn good WHL goalie and he would have been a Kelly Guard protege.
Maybe I'm thinking of a different team, but wasn't there talk about not wanting to send Draisaitl back there because the program was a mess?

Reactions: joestevens29

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Maybe I'm thinking of a different team, but wasn't there talk about not wanting to send Draisaitl back there because the program was a mess?
Yep. The Oilers essentially wouldn't send him back to Junior until he was dealt to another club.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Yeah that was almost 10 years ago and they've changed some things since then.

I think it was more so because the Raiders weren't in a good position to make the playoffs that year. Kelowna ended up going to the Memorial Cup, so it worked out better for Leon's development.

Last edited:

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Yeah that was almost 10 years ago and they've changed some things since then.

I think it was more so because the Raiders weren't in a good position to make the playoffs that year. Kelowna ended up going to the Memorial Cup, so it worked out better for Leon's development.
That was all about MacTavish wanting to put Draisaitl onto a WHL roster with a chance to play deep playoff hockey as part of meaningful development. They cherry picked wisely with Draisailt driving Kelowna to the Mem Cup on a WHL playoff MVP run: Stanley Cup bound team is Kelowna Rockets connected (Owners kid was also an Oiler prospect).

Prince Albert has a great franchise history but as a largely remote small market reality it hasn't been immune to some periods of poor management. Especially with big market operators like Portland, Seattle and NHL owned teams in Edmonton and Calgary. Still impressive that two legends Modano and Draisaitl chose to play there and develop their games in the Dub.

Pretty good pro prospect franchise all things considered: https://thehockeynews.com/news/hock...d-the-most-nhl-talent-in-the-post-lockout-era

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
That was all about MacTavish wanting to put Draisaitl onto a WHL roster with a chance to play deep playoff hockey as part of meaningful development. They cherry picked wisely with Draisailt driving Kelowna to the Mem Cup on a WHL playoff MVP run: Stanley Cup bound team is Kelowna Rockets connected (Owners kid was also an Oiler prospect).

Prince Albert has a great franchise history but as a largely remote small market reality it hasn't been immune to some periods of poor management. Especially with big market operators like Portland, Seattle and NHL owned teams in Edmonton and Calgary. Still impressive that two legends Modano and Draisaitl chose to play there and develop their games in the Dub.

Pretty good pro prospect franchise all things considered: https://thehockeynews.com/news/hock...d-the-most-nhl-talent-in-the-post-lockout-era
Definitely. I've always been a bit of a WHL dork and to me the heart of the league are places like PA, Moose Jaw, Swift Current, Medicine Hat, Brandon, Kamloops, etc. These are the places where it matters the most.

Anyway, back on topic, I like both hires for the Condors. Guard has built up a good resume and I like the outside the box hire of Torey Krug's brother.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Definitely. I've always been a bit of a WHL dork and to me the heart of the league are places like PA, Moose Jaw, Swift Current, Medicine Hat, Brandon, Kamloops, etc. These are the places where it matters the most.

Anyway, back on topic, I like both hires for the Condors. Guard has built up a good resume and I like the outside the box hire of Torey Krug's brother.
The new hires will be interesting for sure. Wonder if they are organizational hires versus made by Chauk as head coach. I'm curious if Kalle Larsson had some input with Krug and Schwartz has a relationship with Hockey Canada. Not retread signings with both taking a big step up in their professional lives.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

Reginald Dunlop

Apr 8, 2014
I’m glad the got Brochu in the system. He was a great goalie in the OHL, made the u20 team albeit as the 3rd goalie, and was really good in the ECHL last year. Probably won’t amount to anything, but there’s definitely a chance he could earn an ELC if he plays well enough imo.
My thoughts exactly. Brochu and Ungar in Ft Wayne is excellent depth at that level to my eye.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Interesting, what is the connection? As looking at wikipedia it appears he left home at 15 to go play in the USA

Although I think he'll be really good at that level too. Just the praise I've heard from the younger players that come up from Bakersfield or the coaching staff down there, the guy just seems like a legit leader and motivator. Takes the lead and helps guys through whatever they may be going through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad