Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '23-'24 Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I noticed that we did not sign very many AHL players for the Condors this year. Colin is going to have to use our young players more which is good to know
He used the young players plenty. They just showed nothing.

XB played on the 1st line and 1st PP for over a month and got outscored by Cam Wright on the 4th line during that stretch.

You can only put so much lipstick on a pig.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I noticed that we did not sign very many AHL players for the Condors this year. Colin is going to have to use our young players more which is good to know
It's always a fine line in the AHL to develop young players but also to develop a winning culture, which benefits everyone. To be honest, the Oilers prospect cupboard on the farm hasn't exactly been great the last few years, with a lot of low end hopeful late picks being our so called young guys. The oft injured Holloway and Broberg were the best we had down there and it looks like they've been groomed properly to take the next step. With the addition of Savoie and perhaps others, we may see more youngsters being able to contribute in a meaningful way.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

XB played on the 1st line and 1st PP for over a month and got outscored by Cam Wright on the 4th line during that stretch.

100%, Bourgault is on the verge of getting an AHL only deal from another team if he doesn't take a big step forward this season.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Curious about him myself - did get into one AHL game and put up 58 points as a defenseman in the WHL (on the downside, he was in his overage season and Edmonton was last in its division).

At 6'6" it would seem he would get attention. Any word on him being invited to a development camp or main camp?

Edit: He attended Colorado development camp in 2023.

Stauffer at the end of his hit with Chaulk yesterday said Marc Lajoie is joining the U of A Golden Bears. Muses if we see him in Penticton.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle

Also pretty much every prospect has gotten noticeably better without the puck. Lavoie 180 his career under chaulk imo

As good as he has been on that side, it does seem like he does not excel at coaching creative players.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He's going to break out and a lot of fans will be eating their words just like they were about Broberg
Kind of like how you're eating your words about Nurse? Bourgault isn't far off being a bust. Kid needs at least 20 goals and/or 50 points this year in Bako to earn a 2nd NHL contract IMO.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Don't get me wrong, he needs to show a pulse this year, but I'd have more concern about Bourgault if every forward prospect didn't take a step back last year.

Bakersfield added Cags and Pederson to the top of the totem pole, plus a few NHL-experienced vets like Gags and Erne, so every forward prospect took a backseat. (That included Holloway, but 4pts in the last game of the season made his totals more respectable vs. 0.66PPG he had for 90% of the year).

Add in the fact Chaulk likes to run a fairly balanced lineup with a healthy focus on defence, and I see a player who got sorted into the secondary/smaller role and failed to stand out, vs. someone who took a true step back.

Think more of the McLeod-cold-streak invisible/unassuming (the "he was fine, made the right plays; I'm sure he'll get on the scoresheet soon" and suddenly you're saying that for 20 games), vs. outright struggling.

Last edited:

Oilers4life1987

Oct 20, 2010
What is Bako's line up looking like next year

Lavoie - Savoie - Hambelin
Pederson - Philp - XB
Petrov - Grubbe - Griffith
Stefan - Berglund - Stonehouse

Kemp - Gleason
Wanner- Noel
Carrick - XXX

Rodrigue
Delia

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
I see Savoie with vets Hamblin and Griffith
NHL bottom six potential Lavoie,Philp and Bourgault
Caggiula and Peterson tutoring Stephan/Stonehouse
Petrov Grubbe and Wright
Dineen will tutor Wanner on D

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Here's my guess:

Lavoie - Savoie - Griffith
Caggiula - Jarventie - Pederson
Hamblin - Philp - Petrov
Stonehouse - Grubbe - Wright

Gleason - Carrick
Dineen - Wanner
Hoefenmayer - Kemp

Rodrigue
Delia

I've got Stefan starting in the ECHL rather than on the 4th line. Ideally Pederson makes the big club as the #4C/#13F and a top9 RW spot opens up for him.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Here's my guess:

Lavoie - Savoie - Griffith
Caggiula - Jarventie - Pederson
Hamblin - Philp - Petrov
Stonehouse - Grubbe - Wright

Gleason - Carrick
Dineen - Wanner
Hoefenmayer - Kemp

Rodrigue
Delia

I've got Stefan starting in the ECHL rather than on the 4th line. Ideally Pederson makes the big club as the #4C/#13F and a top9 RW spot opens up for him.

I don't see Pederson on the big team, rather I think it'll be Ryan tandeming with Holloway to start. But I can easily see Hamblin or especially Philp jumping into the 4C spot come December.

My ideal bottom 6...

To start:
Janmark-Henrique-Brown
Ryan-Holloway-Perry/Lavoie
Lavoie

In the new year:
Holloway-Henrique-Brown
Janmark-Philp-Perry

As for Bakersfield. You can get 7 vet skaters in the AHL, which is exactly where they're at right now.
(Upfront: Pederson, Griffith, Cags; Defence: Gleason, Dineen, Carrick, J.Brown)

Though Kannok-Leipert gives them 5 AHL RHD, I suspect J.Brown might be tried as a 4th liner instead and fill the enforcer role from there. Similar to how Kurtis Macdermid has been used.

Jarventie-Pederson-Griffith
Caggiula-Philp-Savoie
Hamblin-Grubbe-Petrov
Wright-Berglund-J.Brown
Spares / starting in the starting in the ECHL / back to junior: De Jong, Wakely, Stefan, and Stonehouse,

Gleason-Carrick
Dineen-Kemp
Hoefenmayer-Wanner
Spare: Kannok-Leipert

Rodrigue
Delia

Quick notes:
  • Savoie and Jarventie immediately get started with a lot of vet support on their lines. While Janventie and Philp bring a little size to assist their smaller linemates.
  • Hamblin drives the offence on the 3rd line with two the sophomores.
  • Overall, I really like the top 9. Vs. last year's. There's nowhere near as much overlap in terms of talents/styles, and it's far easier to see everyone's defined roles.
  • That left side of the defence can put up points, but dear god it is a trash fire defensively. Kemp, Carrick, and Wanner will have their work cut out for them in the defensive zone.
  • Rodrigue also better be comfortable getting a lot of starts, because I'm not sure if I want Delia playing a ton.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
IMO Philp and Grubbe will be fighting for the future 4C duties. Both are RH centers, maybe one eventually makes the team as a winger that can step in for draws as well? I personally feel like Philp has the inside track because he is older and more skilled. If Derek Ryan is entering his last season as a player I'd love for us to retain him as a coach for Bako. In a perfect world he'd be down there working with Philp and Grubbe this season.

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
IMO Philp and Grubbe will be fighting for the future 4C duties. Both are RH centers, maybe one eventually makes the team as a winger that can step in for draws as well? I personally feel like Philp has the inside track because he is older and more skilled. If Derek Ryan is entering his last season as a player I'd love for us to retain him as a coach for Bako. In a perfect world he'd be down there working with Philp and Grubbe this season.
You may see Ryan down in the Bake helping those guys out as a teammate.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

New goalie coach replacing Rodrigue, along with Torrey Krug’s brother headed behind the bench in Bakersfield next year.
Thanks for posting this.

Krug's career path is interesting with college div 3 and USHL experience jumping to AHL assistant coach. Coincidentally or not, looks like Krug and Kalle Larsson's careers almost intersected for a year as div 3 players within the MCHA (Adrian College and Lawrence University). Wonder if there's a relationship there.

Man I remember Guard playing in the Dub ages ago. Some Hockey Canada experience...

Reactions: smokersarejokers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad