Proposal: Bad contracts and draft picks to the Calgary Flames

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bond

May 10, 2012
God I hate this team. Finally get the depth and development I've wanted for a decade and they give away Bennett, we lose our top 3 forwards, and get back the biggest case of yips in the league.

Just stuck in no man's land looking for a miracle
Yeah, the snowball from shitty UFA contracts leading to Tkachuk's bridge and not re-signing Gaudreau when he was willing the prior offseason was really a masterclass in terrible asset management. Monahan breaking down and Covid kind of screwed them as well though.

Reactions: Boomstick

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Flames aren't tanking. There's zero chance of them competing with the top 3-5 teams that are actively trying to suck.

They're just taking their foot off the gas. Just have good asset management, if you miss you playoffs for a year or two, whatever.
I don't think ownership or management views missing the playoffs as "whatever". That's where teams make the most money and I doubt they are taking their foot of the gas. They could have done that last season and held onto Markstrom. Taking on bad deals to buy a draft pick can have negative synergistic impacts. You essentially lose twice. First by adding salary that hurts your team and second by missing the playoffs and losing games of revenue without having to pay the players. I get why a team clearly out of it might do it but even then, it might clog things up in the future. MTL bought a third round pick from NJ for about $2 mil but they have to hold a retention slot last season and this upcoming season as well. It probably doesn't change much but it's one less retention spot to work with. Not sure that's such a great deal.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I don't think ownership or management views missing the playoffs as "whatever". That's where teams make the most money and I doubt they are taking their foot of the gas. They could have done that last season and held onto Markstrom. Taking on bad deals to buy a draft pick can have negative synergistic impacts. You essentially lose twice. First by adding salary that hurts your team and second by missing the playoffs and losing games of revenue without having to pay the players. I get why a team clearly out of it might do it but even then, it might clog things up in the future. MTL bought a third round pick from NJ for about $2 mil but they have to hold a retention slot last season and this upcoming season as well. It probably doesn't change much but it's one less retention spot to work with. Not sure that's such a great deal.

Yes owners would much prefer to make the playoffs but I don't think they are going to force it. That blew up in our faces like three times in a row. Go get Tavares and sign Matt Roy or something and I think this team makes the playoffs. Likely a first round exit but they'd be competitive. I don't think that's what they are going to do though.

Play it safe, pray to god Zary/Sharagovich can take another step. If Miromanov can replace Zadorov that's a huge win. Still need a Hanifin replacement though

As is, we aren't winning shit next year. There's going to be a month where we can't score a goal to save our life and that will tank the whole season. It's baked in, I've already accepted it. If someone offers us assets to take a bad but short defensive contract. I say take it.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
We have way too many forwards as is. Don't want some plug taking TOI away from the kids. Their whole strategy is to hit the jack pot on one of the young kids. So restricting spots hurts that idea

Overpaid 2nd pairing defender on the otherhand. Send em our way
Seriously. It's been many years since the flames have the kids a chance. They finally are and now they need to fill the roster with cast off vets? No thanks.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What would Calgary want to take Vlasic off the Sharks hands assuming he'd waive his three team trade list for there just for the sake of the discussion?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
If the Devils like Markstrom and the Habs can get their hands on the 10th pick, I'm wondering what the Habs, Flames, and Devils can do for each other? Habs can offer the Flames their 1st back and take Markstrom.

Would you take Carey Price for your first pick back?

The Habs cannot trade the Flames pick back to them at this time. They can't trade it at all because they do not own it yet and may never own it. That pick transfers if certain conditions are met and those conditions have not occurred. I feel like that's been explained thoroughly in several threads here.

As for the OP I don't really see a point in taking bad contracts. If the Flames had committed to a full scale long term rebuild then maybe that would make more sense but as they haven't and won't it's not likely to do them any good. If a team has a dire need of cap space and wants to offload a rugged snarly defenseman on a short term big money deal however that would be interesting. As has been pointed out they have more than enough middle 6 fwds and need to keep some roster spots open for their drafted prospects.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Habs cannot trade the Flames pick back to them at this time. They can't trade it at all because they do not own it yet and may never own it. That pick transfers if certain conditions are met and those conditions have not occurred. I feel like that's been explained thoroughly in several threads here.

Not sure about that. The 3 way trade I am trying probably doesn't work but I do think that if there was a trade, the Habs can trade the pick back. The conditions disappear.

You feel like that has bee explained so you believe it?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Not sure about that. The 3 way trade I am trying probably doesn't work but I do think that if there was a trade, the Habs can trade the pick back. The conditions disappear.

You feel like that has bee explained so you believe it?
They can trade, or rather remove the condition of the deal, which is the equivalent of a 1st, but you keep assuming it's Calgary's pick, when it isn't determined yet if it's Calgary's, or Florida's.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They can trade, or rather remove the condition of the deal, which is the equivalent of a 1st, but you keep assuming it's Calgary's pick, when it isn't determined yet if it's Calgary's, or Florida's.

Come on man. It's not that complicated. Right now, there is conditions and yes, if you trade the pick back, the conditions go away. I'm fully aware of the Flames/Panthers conditions if it stays the way it is. Right now, the Habs have one of those picks depending on where the Flames and Panthers finish. If the pick is traded back, the Flames get both picks. Pretty simple

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
It's going to take too much to move Anderson right now for it to be worthwhile. Habs literally just have to hope he bounces back enough to be able to give him away without much of a sweetener or buy him out if not

Montréal has a bunch of draft picks available, and I, for one, don't care about them
IMO, the rebuild is pretty much finished

The only draft pick I wouldn't trade would be the 5OA of this year, but everything else should be fair game IMO

To trade Josh Anderson, I'd begin with Calgary's 2025 1st and add picks on top of that

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

As for the OP I don't really see a point in taking bad contracts. If the Flames had committed to a full scale long term rebuild then maybe that would make more sense but as they haven't and won't it's not likely to do them any good. If a team has a dire need of cap space and wants to offload a rugged snarly defenseman on a short term big money deal however that would be interesting. As has been pointed out they have more than enough middle 6 fwds and need to keep some roster spots open for their drafted prospects.
They can get around that, been mentioned several times on here

Bond

May 10, 2012
Yeah, that is not true. They can trade it back to the Flames and the conditions would unwind. They conditionally own the Flames pick. The Flames are the team that can't trade their 24 1st until the conditions are cleared and Montreal gets Florida's pick.
They could also trade it to another team with a mess of conditions that would involve some more conditions on top of the existing ones.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
What would Calgary want to take Vlasic off the Sharks hands assuming he'd waive his three team trade list for there just for the sake of the discussion?
It would depend on the return for me. We should only be taking back bad C or D contracts. We have a massive glut of wingers right now. Vlasic makes some sense as a name to take back for me. What kind of compensation do you see the Sharks offering?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Montréal has a bunch of draft picks available, and I, for one, don't care about them
IMO, the rebuild is pretty much finished

The only draft pick I wouldn't trade would be the 5OA of this year, but everything else should be fair game IMO

To trade Josh Anderson, I'd begin with Calgary's 2025 1st and add picks on top of that
Bizarre. That's actually pretty fair. I think it takes a 1st and 2nd to move Anderson. It's just the exact wrong position for us. Too many wings. We have need at D and C. We have 10 NHL wings for 8 spots already. I'd do this if we can move out 2 wings this offseason.

I could see a scenario where we'd move out a Sharangovich if extension talks haven't gone well. Mangiapane and Kuzmenko probably move at the TDL. Might make some sense at the TDL.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad